Antonio Conte (232 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Lets not forget, Italy wouldnt have had the tension of still having to qualify 2nd or 1st on the last day. Any team especially a big nation like Italy would like to qualify as early as possible. It creates unnecessary pressure.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
It's obviously harsh blaming Conte for winning the game against Sweden. Obviously, a draw would have been ideal, but a win does provide additional encouragement for the team. Ideally, he would have changed to a more defensive formation in the second half, but it is what it is. I don't blame him for winning the game, but going for the draw would have been a masterstroke. Now I just hope Italy will manage to beat Spain.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Read zizinho's post.
Why do you need to go out there to play for a negative result ? Yes a draw would be considered a negative result for me. Italy is not Slovakia or Austria or something. You play every game to win.

- - - Updated - - -

And trust me, if Conte truly went out there to play out a draw against Sweden, he would've been criticized on this forum for having a pussy mentality. He would've been criticized either way.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Why do you need to go out there to play for a negative result ? Yes a draw would be considered a negative result for me. Italy is not Slovakia or Austria or something. You play every game to win.
Juve is not Dortmund or Arsenal yet we all wanted to avoid Bayern and Barca in the CL (for obvious reasons). its the same now

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Because a "negative" result would provide an easier way to the final. The tournament is about winning the final, not the second match in the group stage. If you have an opportunity to increase your chance at getting to the final, you should take it.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
then you have yourself a tough ass draw, with absolutely fucking morning chance to get through the final.

btw i get what you're saying, and probably i agree. zizi has a point, but playing safe always backfires in these tournaments. let's judge conte after the tournament, or at least after italy's eliminated.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
It's obviously harsh blaming Conte for winning the game against Sweden. Obviously, a draw would have been ideal, but a win does provide additional encouragement for the team. Ideally, he would have changed to a more defensive formation in the second half, but it is what it is. I don't blame him for winning the game, but going for the draw would have been a masterstroke. Now I just hope Italy will manage to beat Spain.
Stick to haxball

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Because a "negative" result would provide an easier way to the final. The tournament is about winning the final, not the second match in the stage. If you have an opportunity to increase your chance at getting to the final, you should take it.
Even if they played for a draw and finished 2nd in the group, they would've faced Croatia either way who look the best team in the tournament so far. How can we assume this road is any easier ? Besides an Italy team would match-up better to the bigger sides like Germany and Spain than the lesser sides where they always struggle against.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
then you have yourself a tough ass draw, with absolutely fucking morning chance to get through the final.

btw i get what you're saying, and probably i agree. zizi has a point, but playing safe always backfires in these tournaments. let's judge conte after the tournament, or at least after italy's eliminated.
Basically it. Its always risky to play safe with a negative mindset of wanting to play out for a draw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 224)