Antonio Conte (47 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm still mesmerized that people put a certain percentage, or attempt to put a certain percentage on who was responsible for what and how much.

Really?

You can't just look back on those years and take it for what it was? The rebirth of this club? Collective success, Collective failure. And it has obviously worked out well for both parties. Juve are nearly back to where they used to be in the early 2000's with a grand assist from Conte, and Conte has gone from near obscurity to the NT coach, and now coach at Chelsea due to the opportunity Juve gave him

Buy on AliExpress.com

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Conte was a key figure in the resurrection of Juve, along with the owners, management and the players. In Contes first year he had Buffon, Bonucci, Barza, Chiello, Licht, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal and had the advantage of only playing once a week. So basically he had a WC goalkeeper, defense and midfield and a below par attack. The next year Pogba and Asamoah was added the following year Llorente and Tevez. Except for the first year he had the best squad in Italy so he hardly pulled of any miracles winning the scudetto 3 times in a row.
I think Conte did great here, but stating that he will be a key figure in the next 50 years of Juves history and comparing him to a man like Crueff, who changed football as a coach and a player, is a massive overrating of Contes impact for Juve and football in general.
In the next 50 years we will have ups and downs, but what will make us a winning time in general in those 50 years, is the winning mentality and history of the club and not Contes 3 year coaching of the club.
So what you're saying is, it's the same Bonnucci then as we see today!?
The Barzagli who was bought from Wolfsburg as Legrotaglies replacement no less, was the best defender in the world then?
You're talking about the legendary Pirlo or the one we collectively laughed at after he signed for free, for being a washed up Italian WC winner?
Do you remember what Marchisio was called for a large part before Conte's reign! Casper -and don forget he was a shadow of the player you see today coz he had just come off a season playing out wide.
As for Grande Gigi, I don't want to even remind you, but that was the Buffon who had given up on this Juve, the one who would talk to himself every time a team scored against Juv. Don't know if you remember that. I doubt you do.

None of the above mentioned were World Class (save Gigi) when Conte arrived. He integrated players, and he created a team and an identity which gave them their sense of empowerment, and which is what won us a title chasing down an Ibra-led Milan.

It's really easy to talk in hindsight when we are on the cusp of a fifth straight title. A lot of us didn't know how and when the misery would end back then, and give any coach in the world that team, and I can guarantee you nobody in the current coaching world could have won that serie a or gone undefeated. It is that miracle that created the path you currently stand on. I didn't say we'll celebrate Conte 50 years from now, but we will definitely look back and say he was the primary firestarter and a key catalyst for our success post calciopoli.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
ffs it's not a miracle. Just because some of you always underestimate our chances for any silverware, doesn't mean the rest of us felt the same way.

Licht, Vidal, Pirlo were all very good/WC players. Barzagli even in the half a season before Conte's arrival was arguably our best defender and potential was there. Vucinic is also among those players that people underestimate the impact he had. All fell into a right place so it was collective effort to pull us out of the shithole we were in. 100m investments over the summer, new stadiium and a very good coach that instilled the winning mentality. How can some of you attribute this to a single man is beyond me, and even go as far as to claim that any future succes is Conte's merit. Just stop. We would have found our way to the top one way or the other, because that's what we've been doing for the past 100 years. The teams like Milan and Inter were in decline for some time and they would still be shit. And yes that Milan team was weaker by quite a bit and it would have been a failure not to win the title that season.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
The Barzagli who was bought from Wolfsburg as Legrotaglies replacement no less, was the best defender in the world then?
You're talking about the legendary Pirlo or the one we collectively laughed at after he signed for free, for being a washed up Italian WC winner?
Do you remember what Marchisio was called for a large part before Conte's reign! Casper -and don forget he was a shadow of the player you see today coz he had just come off a season playing out wide.
As for Grande Gigi, I don't want to even remind you, but that was the Buffon who had given up on this Juve, the one who would talk to himself every time a team scored against Juv. Don't know if you remember that. I doubt you do.

None of the above mentioned were World Class (save Gigi) when Conte arrived. He integrated players, and he created a team and an identity which gave them their sense of empowerment, and which is what won us a title chasing down an Ibra-led Milan.

It's really easy to talk in hindsight when we are on the cusp of a fifth straight title. A lot of us didn't know how and when the misery would end back then, and give any coach in the world that team, and I can guarantee you nobody in the current coaching world could have won that serie a or gone undefeated. It is that miracle that created the path you currently stand on. I didn't say we'll celebrate Conte 50 years from now, but we will definitely look back and say he was the primary firestarter and a key catalyst for our success post calciopoli.
Again I dont agree ar all. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Kind of funny that you mention Marchisio and BonBon as examples as they only became truly WC after Allegri took over.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005

:tup:

And if you posted this 2012-2014, I would've called you Captain Obvious.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

That "die before defeat" or "death before dishonor" mentality that juventus radiates, is 100% Conte.

Between 2011 and 2016, we've seen 1 excellent milan generation, 2 excellent Napoli generations and 1 excellent roma generation.

At least 2 scudetto's should have been clinched by those teams as they had a significant advantage in selection(Milan) or similar selection +much easyer schedule (napoli,roma,napoli).

But they didnt. They didnt last long enough. They burned too early. They caved once to many at a critical moment. They chocked at the wrong time.

How many times did Juventus grind out that vital point or winner in the last 30 minutes ? How many times did we went into a post european game with tired legs, and survived an onslaught to decide the game when the opponent slowed down ?
How many times did we face an opponent that was better, but got the result ?

Allegri went with inferior milan teams to european clashes, and absolutely brutalised the opponents tactically, but didnt win cause his players were castrated chockers ?

Allegri is what we need now. A tactical grandmaster. The coach we need to lead a team that has the right mentality, and passes it over to the next generation.

It was Conte who created the first generation with that mentality. And we will build onto that for decades.

Under ferrara, Marchisio said things like "we gotto spit blood on the shit", and then absolutely pussy'd out. Since Conte, he actually does it.

Its going to be a cold distant putrid day, before i'll forget just what Conte did here.

- - - Updated - - -

Again I dont agree ar all. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Kind of funny that you mention Marchisio and BonBon as examples as they only became truly WC after Allegri took over.
Someone was not watching juventus in 2011/2012

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Conte was a key figure in the resurrection of Juve, along with the owners, management and the players. In Contes first year he had Buffon, Bonucci, Barza, Chiello, Licht, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal and had the advantage of only playing once a week. So basically he had a WC goalkeeper, defense and midfield and a below par attack. The next year Pogba and Asamoah was added the following year Llorente and Tevez. Except for the first year he had the best squad in Italy so he hardly pulled of any miracles winning the scudetto 3 times in a row.
I think Conte did great here, but stating that he will be a key figure in the next 50 years of Juves history and comparing him to a man like Crueff, who changed football as a coach and a player, is a massive overrating of Contes impact for Juve and football in general.
In the next 50 years we will have ups and downs, but what will make us a winning time in general in those 50 years, is the winning mentality and history of the club and not Contes 3 year coaching of the club.
:tup:

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
ffs it's not a miracle. Just because some of you always underestimate our chances for any silverware, doesn't mean the rest of us felt the same way.

Licht, Vidal, Pirlo were all very good/WC players. Barzagli even in the half a season before Conte's arrival was arguably our best defender and potential was there. Vucinic is also among those players that people underestimate the impact he had. All fell into a right place so it was collective effort to pull us out of the shithole we were in. 100m investments over the summer, new stadiium and a very good coach that instilled the winning mentality. How can some of you attribute this to a single man is beyond me, and even go as far as to claim that any future succes is Conte's merit. Just stop. We would have found our way to the top one way or the other, because that's what we've been doing for the past 100 years. The teams like Milan and Inter were in decline for some time and they would still be shit. And yes that Milan team was weaker by quite a bit and it would have been a failure not to win the title that season.
:agree:
i miss mirko btw

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Exactly my point. ;) You first said Conte had a world class team with a world class defence and midfield, now you say the likes of Marchisio and Bon became WC only after Allegri took over. Contradiction much. :D

You are, by far, the weakest person I know. You truly disgust me.
Haha. Sure :)

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Exactly my point. ;) You first said Conte had a world class team with a world class defence and midfield, now you say the likes of Marchisio and Bon became WC only after Allegri took over. Contradiction much. :D

Its not a contradiction. You can have a WC midfield or défense without every player in it being WC. In midfield you had Pirlo and Vidal who was WC and Marchisio who was a very good btb player. In défense Barza, Licht and Gergio was WC while Bonbon was suited for the 3 man défense but nobody on Tuz or Amy other place would want him to play as a CB in a back 4. He havent developed that part of hes game until Allegri took over.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Which only means the defence was pretty much world class before Conte moved to Juve. Wonder what allowed them to leak the number of goals they leaked in the season prior? I honestly doubt anybody thought a midfield of Pirlo Vidal and Marchiso would be the world class midfield you're claiming it to be. Only Vidal really had the potential to be world class, while Pirlo was coming out of ignominy almost, as was Marchisio. On day one of 2011 if you thought that was a world class midfield then I got to say your vision was tremendous, coz there's a big difference in what it went on to become. Don't want to mention our world class attack of Vucinic, Matri, injured Quag, and loaned Boriello.

And I'd say this as a closure to the discussion from my side, please don't ever forget the club's own 5 year plan when Conte took over. They intended to be challenging for trophies within a 3-5 year cycle. With Conte they achieved it in year one. The team grew faster was then planned for, even economically speaking. That in fact was one of the reasons Conte chose to move, because thats where the difference of opinion came through with the board. Conte wanting bigger players than the club had projected for.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Which only means the defence was pretty much world class before Conte moved to Juve. Wonder what allowed them to leak the number of goals they leaked in the season prior? I honestly doubt anybody thought a midfield of Pirlo Vidal and Marchiso would be the world class midfield you're claiming it to be. Only Vidal really had the potential to be world class, while Pirlo was coming out of ignominy almost, as was Marchisio. On day one of 2011 if you thought that was a world class midfield then I got to say your vision was tremendous, coz there's a big difference in what it went on to become. Don't want to mention our world class attack of Vucinic, Matri, injured Quag, and loaned Boriello.
we got Barzagli 6 months before Conte arrived and Bonucci one year before. Bonucci was never as good as past 2 seasons and we played Chiellini Bonucci mostly with mediocre fullbacks like Traore, Grygera. we even played Chiellini-Barzagli-Bonucci-Sorensen few times when Barzagli arrived. good CBs dont mean you concede less goals, you need to have good organization and the team needs to defend well as a whole. Conte did that, he took the good players he had, with the addition of some very good ones in summer like Licht, Vidal, Pirlo, Vucinic and made that team work. a clueless idiot like Del Neri could never have done it so obviously Conte deserves credit for it. not all the credit though as the team he had after the summer mercato was excellent, but it still takes a good coach to make all these pieces work so we should all applaud him for it

And I'd say this as a closure to the discussion from my side, please don't ever forget the club's own 5 year plan when Conte took over. They intended to be challenging for trophies within a 3-5 year cycle. With Conte they achieved it in year one. The team grew faster was then planned for, even economically speaking. That in fact was one of the reasons Conte chose to move, because thats where the difference of opinion came through with the board. Conte wanting bigger players than the club had projected for.
i remember that plan. however, that plan was made at a time when we finished 7th and Inter has just won a treble with Milan also having a great team. the season after Milan and Inter were in CL QF and finished 1st and 2nd when we again finished 7th. we obviously improved a lot but how these two clubs regressed in just 1-2 years is incredible. we werent expecting that at all at the time we declared our plan most likely. we probably also never expected to reach a CL final within 5 years so that shows how good we were doing business and how bad Milan and Inter became in such a short time.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006

My point was that Conte had a lot of quality players in the squad, and apart from the first season, where Milans starting eleven was superior to ours, we had the best squad in Italy, so he hardly pulled out any miracles. If I or anybody else thought that Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio was going to be a WC midfield at the time i besides the point. The players quality shined through and Conte did well to get the best out of them.

Conte was an important figure in making Juve great again. As was the owners, who invested heavely in the squad,, the managers who made smart buys like Pirlo, Vidal, Barza, Pogba, Licht, Tevez, Morata, Llorente, Dybala etc., and the players themselves who delivered on the pitch.

Again Conte was a Key figure in the 3 years of domestic succes when he was here, but stating that he will be a key figure in the next 50 years of succes in Juve (Zachs comment) is seriously overrating hes contribution or underrating The clubs histore and winning mentality.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Leicester like season, if ever there was one. Pure magic. :D
Did you really just call our 2011-12 season similar to Leicester City's season? They were in third division in 08-09, spent five years in the Championship before earning promotion for the 14-15, and finished 14th in Premier League... To winning the League a year later....

Very comparable to us coming from two 7th place finishes, and a 2nd, and a 3rd in our 4 years prior to 11-12.

Silly fellow.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Did you really just call our 2011-12 season similar to Leicester City's season? They were in third division in 08-09, spent five years in the Championship before earning promotion for the 14-15, and finished 14th in Premier League... To winning the League a year later....

Very comparable to us coming from two 7th place finishes, and a 2nd, and a 3rd in our 4 years prior to 11-12.

Silly fellow.
Coming off the type of seasons, where we couldn't win a tackle, let alone a match, it was pretty impressive. I didn't compare the team to Leicester. Just the feeling it gave to us fans with an absolutely magical run.

Haha. What is with a bunch of you these days. Panties in a bunch waiting on lunch.

- - - Updated - - -

My point was that Conte had a lot of quality players in the squad, and apart from the first season, where Milans starting eleven was superior to ours, we had the best squad in Italy, so he hardly pulled out any miracles. If I or anybody else thought that Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio was going to be a WC midfield at the time i besides the point. The players quality shined through and Conte did well to get the best out of them.

Conte was an important figure in making Juve great again. As was the owners, who invested heavely in the squad,, the managers who made smart buys like Pirlo, Vidal, Barza, Pogba, Licht, Tevez, Morata, Llorente, Dybala etc., and the players themselves who delivered on the pitch.

Again Conte was a Key figure in the 3 years of domestic succes when he was here, but stating that he will be a key figure in the next 50 years of succes in Juve (Zachs comment) is seriously overrating hes contribution or underrating The clubs histore and winning mentality.
I think you're being a bit dismissive of the effect of that first title victory. Had we not won it that year, we probably wouldn't be where we are today. In fact I'd say it's pretty likely the psychological balance wouldn't have shifted back as monumentally in our favour. I guess the difference between what we are saying here is, that you want to give Conte a part of the credit for the three years that he served the club as a coach, and I want to point out that the work done by him outlives his time with us. There's still no doubt in my mind that Conte will hold a precious place in Juve history, as a post calciopoli figure.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Had we not won the league in 11/12 we would have rekt everyone even more the season after. Milan changed their squad completely and Napoli didnt have the team to challenge us despite having Cavani. If we lost the title in that close run that team with a coach like Conte would have been even more motivated. Cant see a negative effect on our 12/13 season

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Had we not won the league in 11/12 we would have rekt everyone even more the season after. Milan changed their squad completely and Napoli didnt have the team to challenge us despite having Cavani. If we lost the title in that close run that team with a coach like Conte would have been even more motivated. Cant see a negative effect on our 12/13 season
Pls re-read the post. This is more about how dominating we have been in the last five years and not whether we will win one season or another. Even this season, you'd think all hope is lost, but everything came back after Allegri moved to Conte's old system, and once the players found their patterns again, we've been another story. And all that self belief came from achieving the near impossible in Conte's first season with us. Look at the mental make up of the team in the last 5 years. We've not won so consistently because we've played the best football necessarily, we've won because of how mentally adept we were in all sorts of match situations. And after doing the near impossible, that's what added to our steel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)