Antonio Conte (154 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Pls re-read the post. This is more about how dominating we have been in the last five years and not whether we will win one season or another. Even this season, you'd think all hope is lost, but everything came back after Allegri moved to Conte's old system, and once the players found their patterns again, we've been another story. And all that self belief came from achieving the near impossible in Conte's first season with us. Look at the mental make up of the team in the last 5 years. We've not won so consistently because we've played the best football necessarily, we've won because of how mentally adept we were in all sorts of match situations. And after doing the near impossible, that's what added to our steel.
No it didn't. Conte played a huge part in restoring the winning mentality of the team but this seasons comeback is all on Allegri. We reshuffled the team and it needed time to click, injuries of Khedira and Marchisio didnt help as well as Dybala not being a regular starter yet at the beginning. The team didn't lack the mentality, but more time together. I don't see why you think we wouldnt achieve all the success later on if we didnt ein the scudetto that season considering how well managed culb we are

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Coming off the type of seasons, where we couldn't win a tackle, let alone a match, it was pretty impressive. I didn't compare the team to Leicester. Just the feeling it gave to us fans with an absolutely magical run.

Haha. What is with a bunch of you these days. Panties in a bunch waiting on lunch.
I'm out to get you Baggio! Out to get you, you hear? I will rain a hellfire of shit down upon your legacy! :p

But seriously. Good rhyme. You've been reading your William Butler Yeats. I can tell. :D

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Exactly my point. ;) You first said Conte had a world class team with a world class defence and midfield, now you say the likes of Marchisio and Bon became WC only after Allegri took over. Contradiction much. :D

Haha. Sure :)
Marchisio had 2 very good seasons under Conte and Bonnucci had 3. Bonnucci became even better now but he was already a top CB.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Marchisio had 2 very good seasons under Conte and Bonnucci had 3. Bonnucci became even better now but he was already a top CB.
Under Conte, not before Conte.

- - - Updated - - -

No it didn't. Conte played a huge part in restoring the winning mentality of the team but this seasons comeback is all on Allegri. We reshuffled the team and it needed time to click, injuries of Khedira and Marchisio didnt help as well as Dybala not being a regular starter yet at the beginning. The team didn't lack the mentality, but more time together. I don't see why you think we wouldnt achieve all the success later on if we didnt ein the scudetto that season considering how well managed culb we are
Being well managed may mean different things to different people. You could be well managed from an economic point of view or well managed from a sporting point of view, they're not mutually exclusive however. Before Conte arrived, the same management had spent big and ended up in seventh position. Another season like that and I can assure you, our money ball policy wouldn't have ended up looking as good as it did.

And the change of formation had nothing to do with the results this season? The team just magically clicked when Allegri moved back to a 352? Cmon mate. We went from talking about plasma TVs and Pastores and Agueros to loaning Boriellos and Anelkas. There's a good chance that would've taken much longer than you think, if it wasn't for a man who played a primary part in re-injecting all of that ethos post calciopoli, when we had not just lost our mentality but our identity and character too.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

Being well managed may mean different things to different people. You could be well managed from an economic point of view or well managed from a sporting point of view, they're not mutually exclusive however. Before Conte arrived, the same management had spent big and ended up in seventh position. Another season like that and I can assure you, our money ball policy wouldn't have ended up looking as good as it did.

And the change of formation had nothing to do with the results this season? The team just magically clicked when Allegri moved back to a 352? Cmon mate. We went from talking about plasma TVs and Pastores and Agueros to loaning Boriellos and Anelkas. There's a good chance that would've taken much longer than you think, if it wasn't for a man who played a primary part in re-injecting all of that ethos post calciopoli, when we had not just lost our mentality but our identity and character too.
That same management took over one season before Conte arrived. If you think they can magically fix the mess the previous idiots left in one mercato then think again.

This 352 is nothing like Contes, appart from Buffon and the back 3, we play completely different now. So now after giving Conte credit for everything that happened in 11/12 you want to give him credit for Allegris sucess 2 years after he left because hes playing the same formation? Great.

And i already said Conte deserves credit for restoring our winning mentality but you for some reason seem to think he deserves all or most of the credit. He has received 4 new starters in the summer, 2 have arrived 6 months before he joined. So its not like he turned a bunch of losers and Inserted the winning mentality into them. + he got Caceres in winter too who started on the left a lot that halfseason. Thats a new Team completely. Add to that a broke inter, the favorites that was Milan handicaped by injuries and you get what happened. It was a great coach taking over a big club, receiving some great players and turning them into a team. And that's what he deserves credit for. With a different coach there is a good chance we wouldnt Win in 2012, but there is no way we would not become a winning team the next season considering Milan selfdestructed and Napoli was a one man team

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009

- - - Updated - - -

Just stop this retarded discussion :sergoi:
We're on our way to win the fifth straight league title and second cup title. We played a CL final and this year played two even games with the potential CL winner. We did this with two different coaches. If this is not prove enough to you that this club's management aren't lucky, but in fact know what they're doing, then you're clueless. We have one of the best managements in European football.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
We're on our way to win the fifth straight league title and second cup title. We played a CL final and this year played two even games with the potential CL winner. We did this with two different coaches. If this is not prove enough to you that this club's management aren't lucky, but in fact know what they're doing, then you're clueless. We have one of the best managements in European football.
THE best imo

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
:tup:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003

Please don't go on another tangent. This is not about the club management. It's about Conte getting due credit who will be a recognised figure well after this cycle, largely because of the impact he had on the team, and that impact had an even bigger bearing because of what he achieved in his first season, which wasn't about talent or fancy football. It was about bringing back a mentality that nobody else could've gotten back, including the club management.

Simple as.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. Please don't tell me that credit is being given to Conte for what is happening this year.
Credit is being given to Conte for laying the foundation to build our successes on. And a lot of it is dating back to what he achieved in his first season with us where he won against the odds. But somehow that means we don't have one of the best management's in football. It amazes me that people have forgotten what we went through in the years post Cacliopoli and before Conte.

No individual is bigger than the club, but there are people who have worked at the club, whose work will outlive their time at the club. Conte is one such person. I simply don't see how that is not true.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Please don't go on another tangent. This is not about the club management. It's about Conte getting due credit who will be a recognised figure well after this cycle, largely because of the impact he had on the team, and that impact had an even bigger bearing because of what he achieved in his first season, which wasn't about talent or fancy football. It was about bringing back a mentality that nobody else could've gotten back, including the club management.

Simple as.
Lol. You contradict yourself. Conte didn't bring back a mentality to the club, because then it would've been gone as soon as he left. As soon as you realize that everything happened in a symbioses, your meaningless fight will stop. The problem is that some of you interpret the criticism of him as criticism of his merits.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
That same management took over one season before Conte arrived. If you think they can magically fix the mess the previous idiots left in one mercato then think again.
To fix it all in one mercato would've been magic but to 'apparently fix' it in their second summer would've been par for the course? Even that would have been hard. Of course, I don't deny we were in bad shape before they came. But do you honestly think the management expected to go from seventh to first in one season? Their aim if you remember was CL qualification. That was one of the main reasons Del Neri was appointed and chosen by Marrotta in his first season at the club, because they had just achieved that with Sampdoria. But with Conte coming here and winning in his first season itself, it threw the managements plans a bit out of shape, because now they had to sustain the success had Conte achieved. He achieved a miracle and I'm grateful to him for that.

And i already said Conte deserves credit for restoring our winning mentality but you for some reason seem to think he deserves all or most of the credit. He has received 4 new starters in the summer, 2 have arrived 6 months before he joined. So its not like he turned a bunch of losers and Inserted the winning mentality into them. + he got Caceres in winter too who started on the left a lot that halfseason. Thats a new Team completely. Add to that a broke inter, the favorites that was Milan handicaped by injuries and you get what happened. It was a great coach taking over a big club, receiving some great players and turning them into a team. And that's what he deserves credit for. With a different coach there is a good chance we wouldnt Win in 2012, but there is no way we would not become a winning team the next season considering Milan selfdestructed and Napoli was a one man team
Again, I think you're putting a bit too much emphasis on the kind of players that came through the mercato. It doesn't matter even if we got Maradona out of retirement or got Molinaro and had him come play for us. The important factor is uniting the team with an identity and integrity of purpose underlined by the same mentality that he had learnt at his time at the club. He was the perfect catalyst that gave the team the spark and belief without which they were nothing. Look at Leicester for example, they don't have the best names on paper compared to their more illustrious rivals, but they have something far more intangible, strength in unity, to sacrifice for the other. It is a very special ethos that most teams find hard to come by.

And the irony of it all, is that I think Allegri is a better tactician than Conte, while Conte was a better man manager. Where we are today, with a higher quality of personnel, is better handled by someone like Allegri, for the expression of their footballing style. But, what makes them win matches when they're in tight positions is not just quality, it's also mentality and a work ethic, which was the hallmark of Conte's work with us.

Again, in my mind I don't expect Conte to be the only name synonymous with our success 100 years from this discussion. But I do think people will remember his legacy for a far greater time than the three years he spent with us, because he helped the team find what it had lost, the very essence of our DNA: the grinta.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. You contradict yourself. Conte didn't bring back a mentality to the club, because then it would've been gone as soon as he left. As soon as you realize that everything happened in a symbioses, your meaningless fight will stop. The problem is that some of you interpret the criticism of him as criticism of his merits.
I care four fucks about people criticising him, but anyone who isn't grateful for the work that he's done deserves to order some humble pie at the finest 100 euro restaurant there is. Oh, and for the record, the essence of mentality is that it outlives most tangibles, such as players and coaches. It's like the players say themselves, it's the air that you breathe at the club. The foundations for which post calciopoli, were laid in large part by someone who understood and inhaled the same air as a player.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
To fix it all in one mercato would've been magic but to 'apparently fix' it in their second summer would've been par for the course? Even that would have been hard. Of course, I don't deny we were in bad shape before they came. But do you honestly think the management expected to go from seventh to first in one season? Their aim if you remember was CL qualification. That was one of the main reasons Del Neri was appointed and chosen by Marrotta in his first season at the club, because they had just achieved that with Sampdoria. But with Conte coming here and winning in his first season itself, it threw the managements plans a bit out of shape, because now they had to sustain the success had Conte achieved. He achieved a miracle and I'm grateful to him for that.
"apparently fix", lol. you hate Marotta so much you find it hard to give him credit for anything dont you?

lets take a look at our team at the end of 2010:
Buffon, Chimenti, Manninger
Chiellini, Caceres, Cannavaro, Grosso, Legrotaglie, Zebina, Molinaro, PDC, Grygera
Melo, Hasan, Marchisio, Camoranesi, Poulsen, Sissoko, Candreva, Diego, Tiago
Del Piero, Amauri, Iaquinta, Trezeguet, Giovinco

and after summer mercato 2011:
Buffon, Storari, Manninger
Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, PDC, Lichtsteiner, Grosso (+ Caceres in winter)
Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal, Pepe, Krasic, Giaccherini, Elia, Estigarribia (+ Padoin in winter)
Matri, Quagliarella, Vucinic, Del Piero, Borriello

apart from these 8 guys (only 3 of which remained starters), he changed the team completely in 2 mercatos. so he did "fix it". most of the players he brought in were much superior to the players we had when he took over. the team Conte had was top 3 in the league easily. not every coach would have won the title with that team in our 1st season (most good coaches would finish top 3 that season and win the title the very next) so thats something he deserves credit for. but in no way would we not become a superpower again if it wasnt for him. This club is too much superiorly run compared to others in Italy, and a lot of foreign clubs, to not rise to the top again so quickly.

Again, I think you're putting a bit too much emphasis on the kind of players that came through the mercato. It doesn't matter even if we got Maradona out of retirement or got Molinaro and had him come play for us. The important factor is uniting the team with an identity and integrity of purpose underlined by the same mentality that he had learnt at his time at the club. He was the perfect catalyst that gave the team the spark and belief without which they were nothing. Look at Leicester for example, they don't have the best names on paper compared to their more illustrious rivals, but they have something far more intangible, strength in unity, to sacrifice for the other. It is a very special ethos that most teams find hard to come by.
Yes, creating a team out of the great players he received was ONE OF the most important things to do. Still, you can't win the title with players that arent quality, no matter how good a motivator you are. And most of these players went on to win another 3 titles and reach a CL final which tells you a lot about how good they were. So it does matter, a lot in fact, what kind of players he had at his disposal. And don't compare us to Leicester, thats a 1 in 100 years situation. Lets compare us to Chelsea for example. Mourinho got back and Inserted his winning mentality into the players, they won the title in his 1st (full) season and the very next season they crumble. Why? Because you have to do it season after season, and that's exactly why our comeback this season was not because we won a title with Conte 4 years ago, it was because Allegri was capable of motivating the team and creating the winning mentality within them when things went bad.

And the irony of it all, is that I think Allegri is a better tactician than Conte, while Conte was a better man manager. Where we are today, with a higher quality of personnel, is better handled by someone like Allegri, for the expression of their footballing style. But, what makes them win matches when they're in tight positions is not just quality, it's also mentality and a work ethic, which was the hallmark of Conte's work with us.

Again, in my mind I don't expect Conte to be the only name synonymous with our success 100 years from this discussion. But I do think people will remember his legacy for a far greater time than the three years he spent with us, because he helped the team find what it had lost, the very essence of our DNA: the grinta.

- - - Updated - - -

I care four $#@!s about people criticising him, but anyone who isn't grateful for the work that he's done deserves to order some humble pie at the finest 100 euro restaurant there is. Oh, and for the record, the essence of mentality is that it outlives most tangibles, such as players and coaches. It's like the players say themselves, it's the air that you breathe at the club. The foundations for which post calciopoli, were laid in large part by someone who understood and inhaled the same air as a player.
Thats something I can mostly agree with, and the game is about to start so i don't want to go further into this

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
"apparently fix", lol. you hate Marotta so much you find it hard to give him credit for anything dont you?
Fantastic post, but it's basically this.

The basic assumption of Conte's fanboys is that he was given scrubs to work with and managed to win the title, which is laughable.

Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Licht, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, are players from Conte's first season and all played in the final of the CL last year. So they can't be this bad, can they?

Good coach wouldn't be able to accomplish anything notable with retarded mgt and would end up looking clueless. B&G and Allegri's spell in Milan are rather good example. Even if Allegri leaves one day, I'm confident someone else will do admirable job of replacing him, bacause he'll have mgt that has proven capable of bringing great players every summer.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Conte got a Vidal who was entering his prime and that Pirlo´s first year was simply stellar and was the last of his prime.

Those 2 players were pivotal for us. And the rest did their job definitely. But what Conte did that first season is unquestionable. That was a season i enjoyed so much since he was a winner and guided our lost players to become winners.

After that season, nothing was the same with conte... but that first scudetto season was nothing short of magical.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Conte got a Vidal who was entering his prime and that Pirlo´s first year was simply stellar and was the last of his prime.

Those 2 players were pivotal for us. And the rest did their job definitely. But what Conte did that first season is unquestionable. That was a season i enjoyed so much since he was a winner and guided our lost players to become winners.

After that season, nothing was the same with conte... but that first scudetto season was nothing short of magical.
And thats exactly what we should give him credit for. people can debate about anything, but that fact is set in stone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 143)