Antonio Conte (26 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

oldlady87

May 13, 2012
“Torino play an atypical 3-5-2, as it’s more of a 3-5-1-1 with one striker much wider than the other. Cerci as a forward is changing his characteristics, but then he cuts inside and can become devastating. I think we did a great job tactically to limit them.”

“What we did tonight was not improvised, that’s for sure. We evaluated the situation. We needed the ball to reach the strikers, not for the strikers to come back to get the ball, as that left us enough room to get back and block off any counter-attacks or at least give them a lot more work to do.”

“I know I might not be likeable to many, but I am very concentrated, focused and ferocious in my work. I think you have to be like that to achieve success.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We always try to tactically limit teams, that's just good planning. Some teams come to Turin and plant a wall so that's much easier and makes a more aesthetic game - we keep attacking until we score, which we invariably do. I read how defensive we are these days. That's 60 goals now in 25 games. Last year we had 50 in 25 games. First year with the super-duper attacking team we had scored 38 goals after 25 games. 60 versus 38.

A few teams like Torino, Roma and Trabzonspor (from memory) try to hit players with quick counter attacks, so we adjust accordingly. We give them the ball and rope-a-dope. We won all three games, and generally win all playing like this. The only issue at the moment is the individual mistakes in defense which threaten to undo our game plan. But then if we played an open game we would have more scoring chances, sure, but also expose the same said defenders at the same time.

Personally I have never liked defending a one goal lead, football is just too random and has many different ways to score a goal for this margin to always be enough, but we mostly get away with it by ganging up on players in the area. Most Serie A teams don't have a big weapon like Luca Toni to aim for to create trouble.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Most Serie A teams don't have a big weapon like Luca Toni to aim for to create trouble.
This made me laugh so much more than it should. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I read how defensive we are these days. That's 60 goals now in 25 games. Last year we had 50 in 25 games. First year with the super-duper attacking team we had scored 38 goals after 25 games. 60 versus 38.
It sounds like we've gotten Tevez and Llorente just to improve our goal stats in the league which we were already masters at.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
We always try to tactically limit teams, that's just good planning. Some teams come to Turin and plant a wall so that's much easier and makes a more aesthetic game - we keep attacking until we score, which we invariably do. I read how defensive we are these days. That's 60 goals now in 25 games. Last year we had 50 in 25 games. First year with the super-duper attacking team we had scored 38 goals after 25 games. 60 versus 38.

A few teams like Torino, Roma and Trabzonspor (from memory) try to hit players with quick counter attacks, so we adjust accordingly. We give them the ball and rope-a-dope. We won all three games, and generally win all playing like this. The only issue at the moment is the individual mistakes in defense which threaten to undo our game plan. But then if we played an open game we would have more scoring chances, sure, but also expose the same said defenders at the same time.

Personally I have never liked defending a one goal lead, football is just too random and has many different ways to score a goal for this margin to always be enough, but we mostly get away with it by ganging up on players in the area. Most Serie A teams don't have a big weapon like Luca Toni to aim for to create trouble.
While we have better forwards to compensate the bad records we had with our previous attackers the rest of the team has become sloppy and relying on the forwards. Partially it generated a bad attitude towards game which slowly becoming a habit and partially it made the work rate drop drastically that the errors have become more enhanced.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
:D But you know what I mean, when you are only one goal up you don't want someone in there to create havoc. Most teams don't put this kind of percentage ball into the box late in a game against us, they go for something more precise, which we can more easily deal with.

Toni is an extreme example because he's simply a monster in the air, but even other current players like Bianchi could benefit from 5 minutes of the ball being put into the box. It's a risky situation to allow anything to go in.

- - - Updated - - -

While we have better forwards to compensate the bad records we had with our previous attackers the rest of the team has become sloppy and relying on the forwards. Partially it generated a bad attitude towards game which slowly becoming a habit and partially it made the work rate drop drastically that the errors have become more enhanced.
That doesn't really add up when Llorente and Tevez have scored 24 goals and the team has scored 60. Vidal has 11, Pogba 6, and there are another 9 scorers.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
also i remember plenty of boring and frustratig matches under conte in his first season.

remember those draw after draw results? remember how juventus were winter champions, then slipped up because of those stupid draws and almost gave the title away to Milan during the jan-march period?

yeah.. let's not convenently remember those moments.
That was 2 years ago seriously, the team has only got better so with those tactics and that formation we wouldn't be drawing all those games now with the better squad we have.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
That doesn't really add up when Llorente and Tevez have scored 24 goals and the team has scored 60. Vidal has 11, Pogba 6, and there are another 9 scorers.
I know that the game is about scoring goals which we are doing properly but the general game play has become more lazy.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
That was 2 years ago seriously, the team has only got better so with those tactics and that formation we wouldn't be drawing all those games now with the better squad we have.
i bet you a 100 percent we would not

because the wingers would be either vucinic, isla, giovinco, or tevez.

so you get unproductive players playing on the wing. then a 3 attack means you are sacrificing one of your most consistent defenders in asa. I am not even going to mention the fact that vucinic, gio, and pepe have been injured fregquently, making the use of wide players... well not possible

- - - Updated - - -

I know that the game is about scoring goals which we are doing properly but the general game play has become more lazy.
only in beg of the season and last month or so. you are wrong about the general thing. after the loss to fiorentina and up to the loss to roma, juve were absolutely destryong every single team, physically, tactically, and mentally.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
only in beg of the season and last month or so. you are wrong about the general thing. after the loss to fiorentina and up to the loss to roma, juve were absolutely destryong every single team, physically, tactically, and mentally.
So true but only in the league, in the CL on the other hand....

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
no one will disagree with you there.

Conte is still young for a coach. He'll live and learn
What I meant to say is that it has been becoming more frequent, you mentioned the beginning of the season and last month, I am aware of that. In the CL too....the laziness is becoming more and more frequent is all I said.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What I meant to say is that it has been becoming more frequent, you mentioned the beginning of the season and last month, I am aware of that. In the CL too....the laziness is becoming more and more frequent is all I said.
I regularly heard the same criticism last year, when people compared our playing style & approach to the 4-3-3 of the year before.

Personally, I don't see any difference at all between this season & the previous one.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
We play better football this year, despite of our early CL exit. Mostly due to possessing more quality upfront. Disregarding usual awkward Jan-Feb period of course.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
We play better football this year, despite of our early CL exit. Mostly due to possessing more quality upfront. Disregarding usual awkward Jan-Feb period of course.
Hm. I wouldn't agree with that. There have been a few moments where I thought the same, but not nearly enough for me to consider it an actual improvement. Plus, like you mention, we were supposed to be a lot better than last year anyway...

Though I have to admit my judgement is fairly clouded, mainly because of the CL disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)