Antonio Conte (353 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Problem is that there is this twisted thought that if you're playing with 2 strikers that automatically means that you should score more than having 1 striker. 3-5-2 is more of a defensive strategy than an attacking one.

Also, expecting Lichtsteiner to rule that right flank both offensively and defensively is asking way too much. I love Licht but c'mon.
he indeed was much more exhausted in the games we played the 3-5-2 than before

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
tackle from behind is a straight red by the rule books for many years now

refs do not follow that if you play the ball, buit in essence it's nearly impossible to get the ball without touching the opponent before so almost everytime a foul at least a yellow (even when red if you followed the rule book strictly)
There tends to be a distinction made between challenges where the player goes down the side of the player to trip him (like Vidal did) and ones where the player really goes through the player from behind, though.

Aug 1, 2003
fuck any post calciopoli image. it's no time to be nice anymore. we have to fight for what we deserve and what was stolen, and for that I sure as hell am glad we are being coached by an ex Juventino who knows the meaning of this, and would defend us on tv or to the media and won't let anyone fuck around with us.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't say there way no way it was a red.
I'd say it was probably a yellow and a half, if you like.
Was a borderline call, so I wouldn't really criticise the ref either way.
He had no intention of getting the ball.
However, he was just trying to trip Van Bommel to stop a counter attack.
The challenge wasn't one that there was any danger of causing injury with.
I remember reading in the rules that a straight red for a tackle had to involve a danger to cause injury. So, IMO, it should have been no more than a yellow.

What really annoyed me was the ref let them away with loads. Just before Vidal received his red, muntari hacked Vidal down then stepped over him, deliberately kicking him in the head a la van b*mhole. That foul merited a caution never mind the kick in the head. Yet muntari went unpunished. Referees are supposed to be impartial and should practice fair play at all times.

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
About the formation, the problem with our 4-3-3 is that it's too defensive. we have two DMs with one deep lying regista behind them. it's great defensively as our lowest number of conceded goals in serie a shows. but we are exactly opposite of most of the top teams in europe who use this formation, barca for example have one DM (Bosquets) with two AMFs, we especially shouldn't use this defensive version of 4-3-3 against smaller teams, it's toothless.
maybe now that Vidal's not available would be the best time to play a more attack minded player there, Giac maybe?
I guess it's the main reason Conte said 3-5-2 suits us better, which it obviously doesn't cuz our midfield is clueless in that formation.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Marchisio does his best midfield work when given the freedom to link the play high up the pitch and get into goal-scoring positions.

Vidal is also better when released to play high up and inject real energy into Juve's play with his pressing.

Both can play deep, but both are better higher up.

And Juve had no real issues with creativity when playing 4-3-3 because the width it offered and the pace Juve played at allowed Juve to find space high up the pitch relatively easily and helped to mask Juve's lack of truly creative players.

It's the low tempo that Juve use with the 3-5-2 that makes everything very slow, static and easy for the opposition to close down.

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
But don't you think the low tempo is the main issue in 4-3-3 as well, against all those minnows specially? we need someone with pace and creativity who can link up mid to attack much faster and more clinical than Marchisio or Vidal, non of our front triad men have that quality either so we're stuck with a formation which is slow as fuck. what's to do? let them park the bus and hope that one of our half-assed chances slip through their layered defense? haven't we seen enough of that?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The only problem I saw in 4-3-3 on a regular basis was the lack of clinical finishing from the forwards.

Creating chances was seldom an issue with 4-3-3.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Marchisio does his best midfield work when given the freedom to link the play high up the pitch and get into goal-scoring positions.

Vidal is also better when released to play high up and inject real energy into Juve's play with his pressing.

:agree: We get the best out of both Vidal and Marchisio in the 4-3-3, though one could argue that Pirlo seems to fare bit better in the 3-5-2.

The 3-5-2 makes our midfield too static and puts too much of the attacking onus on the wings, where we just don't have the creativity necessary to break down defences.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

And Juve had no real issues with creativity when playing 4-3-3 because the width it offered and the pace Juve played at allowed Juve to find space high up the pitch relatively easily and helped to mask Juve's lack of truly creative players.

It's the low tempo that Juve use with the 3-5-2 that makes everything very slow, static and easy for the opposition to close down.
This. Vidal and Marchisio have no options to pass to in the 3-5-2. The 4-3-3 gives us good attacking width, giving the midfielders always plenty of options to pass to out wide.

---------- Post added 28.02.2012 at 10:14 ----------

But don't you think the low tempo is the main issue in 4-3-3 as well, against all those minnows specially? we need someone with pace and creativity who can link up mid to attack much faster and more clinical than Marchisio or Vidal, non of our front triad men have that quality either so we're stuck with a formation which is slow as fuck. what's to do? let them park the bus and hope that one of our half-assed chances slip through their layered defense? haven't we seen enough of that?
No, the high tempo of the 4-3-3 was exactly what was killing opponents. The only problems is our constant possesion, meaning the opponents can defend deep. Which in turn means we need someone capable of producing in tight space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 349)