Antonio Conte (348 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That's such a tough call, with so many variables put into play. If I HAD to put a number on it, they need to at least get to the round of 8 like they did 2 years ago. I still don't understand how a team that was better on paper than last year's squad struggled so badly in CL.
OK cool, yeah, I mean if we are drawn Real in the round of 16 and play well but lose, I can understand that. But apart from Bayern and Real, we need to at least be in the quarters. Anything less is an embarrassment.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Do you disagree that the majority of Italian coaches, including Conte, will sit back more in Europe?
Do you think it's a bad thing? I personally don't see it that way, that is if you have good defense that can cope with that kind of strategy. It has brought Italian teams so much success in the past and present. I'm not talking about playing a game where your only intent is defending senselessly; if you can recall some of the greatest victories of Italian clubs and NT you might understand.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Do you think it's a bad thing? I personally don't see it that way, that is if you have good defense that can cope with that kind of strategy. It has brought Italian teams so much success in the past and present. I'm not talking about playing a game where your only intent is defending senselessly; if you can recall some of the greatest victories of Italian clubs and NT you might understand.
I've been a fan of Italian football for 20 years, so yes, no need patronize me. I am talking about the progression of football to the modern day, which means the 90's have no bearing in this discussion.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
OK cool, yeah, I mean if we are drawn Real in the round of 16 and play well but lose, I can understand that. But apart from Bayern and Real, we need to at least be in the quarters. Anything less is an embarrassment.
Problem is EPL teams and PSG who have a lot of money are getting stronger by each year.So it wont be that straightforward as it seems.Luck of the draw will play a part here.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
I don't think there's a defence out there today that could be assembled and consistently hold 1 goal leads in Europe for 50 minutes or more

If we want to play Catenaccio, i'm all for it. As long as we have the players to pull it off

Right now we are forced to absorb pressure, and then we try and hit on the break with a dreadfully slow team, consisting of players who lack the pace and/or the skill to take their man on with any regularity at all.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Does it really matter who the coach is (assuming a good one)?

Whoever it is the team is simply not there yet for us to be dominate in europe. If it's not conte drawbacks it will just be someone elses cause we aint getting Mou or Carlo anytime soon.

Drawing conclusions on a coach future succses in europe based on two seasons, with one of them being good mind you, is redundent.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I would love to know why you feel that way.

: inter :

- - - Updated - - -

Does it really matter who the coach is (assuming a good one)?

Whoever it is the team is simply not there yet for us to be dominate in europe. If it's not conte drawbacks it will just be someone elses cause we aint getting Mou or Carlo anytime soon.

Drawing conclusions on a coach future succses in europe based on two seasons, with one of them being good mind you, is redundent.
:tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Until we become financial powerhorses... I'd keep conte even if every we exit in the last 16 or the QF for the next 3 years.
:tup:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Just look at the CL Finalists over the years. With the exception of Chelsea, Inter and Dortmund, they all are known for attacking and or pressing opponents, not sitting back. Even Liverpool wouldn't sit back like senseless vassels when they reached their finals. If we want to play smart defensive football then hire Mourinho.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Just look at the CL Finalists over the years. With the exception of Chelsea, Inter and Dortmund, they all are known for attacking and or pressing opponents, not sitting back. Even Liverpool wouldn't sit back like senseless vassels when they reached their finals. If we want to play smart defensive football then hire Mourinho.
Liverpool would chase a goal, sit back and play long balls.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I've been a fan of Italian football for 20 years, so yes, no need patronize me. I am talking about the progression of football to the modern day, which means the 90's have no bearing in this discussion.
No one is talking about 90es, but only last few years are in discussion and Italian NT is good example, EC final, terrific game vs Spain last year at Confederation Cup. Then you have mediocre Milan side last year vs Barcelona at San Siro...

The bigger problem for Italian clubs is lack of funds, and therefore not being able to attract the top players as they used to, lack of domestic talent, or losing it to a newly rich foreign clubs. Strategy can only get you so far.

rakib567

Apr 27, 2013
we are better than real Madrid except attack. we shoed that this year with the 433.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Those are 3 finalists in the last 4 years that you're excluding (2010, 2012, 2013) to make your point; 40% of the teams that have reached final in the last 4 years like to sit back. :wink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 344)