Antonio Conte (82 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 1, 2010
The 3-5-2 doesn't work in the CL because the teams there play differently, mostly using highly skilled wingers, which teams don't have in Serie A. Italian teams tend to play narrow formations, which is why the 3-5-2 works well against them. The failure of the 3-5-2 in Europe has little to do with the strength of Serie A, it's about playing styles.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The difference is mental, many teams are scared of us these days in Serie A. Cagliari gave it a go and had us on the ropes for a little while but still got smashed, our closest rivals got smashed, it must be demoralising for the rest of the league.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
I'm not saying it's not competitive, Jem, but that has got more to do with the weak part.
Yeah I know, it's just something I wanted to get off my chest. It's such a shame we got knocked out of the CL because it equipped the silly EPL crowd with more arguments as to why Serie-A is such a suckfest, when in reality it's not. We are also miles better than Galatasaray and Serie-A is lightyears ahead of the Turkish league, so it was a damn shame that we messed up in the early group stage when our form was off. It's super annoying to read the comment sections of english speaking football sites these days whenever Serie-A is the topic.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Not disputing that, but people act as if it's severely lagging behind the other leagues, and that's not true. It's behind, but not by that much.

Jul 20, 2012
Conte was also asked if he was surprised to see Alessandro Matri this week move from Milan to Fiorentina on loan, just six months after leaving Turin.

“For Alessandro, I have great affection because with us he was always an important player, he contributed significantly to our winning two Serie A titles.

“From a sporting point of view, indeed, more than that, from the human perspective, I may regret that things have not gone well for him at Milan.

“Yet, I repeat, I have great affection for a player who was very important for us. And he showed that in the two years, helping us to win two Scudetti.”

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Conte was also asked if he was surprised to see Alessandro Matri this week move from Milan to Fiorentina on loan, just six months after leaving Turin.

“For Alessandro, I have great affection because with us he was always an important player, he contributed significantly to our winning two Serie A titles.

“From a sporting point of view, indeed, more than that, from the human perspective, I may regret that things have not gone well for him at Milan.

“Yet, I repeat, I have great affection for a player who was very important for us. And he showed that in the two years, helping us to win two Scudetti.”
:tup:

Good to know he's got fond memories. Some coaches just talk philosophically in these cases. It's nice that Conte has a genuine affection for his team.

Jul 20, 2012
:tup:

Good to know he's got fond memories. Some coaches just talk philosophically in these cases. It's nice that Conte has a genuine affection for his team.
Yea, I didnt post the whole Interview, here it is.

Antonio Conte has paid tribute to Massimiliano Allegri and backed Clarence Seedorf to become a success at Milan.

Speaking at his Press conference today, the Juventus Coach was asked of this week’s move from traditional title rivals Milan to replace 2011-Scudetto winner Allegri with the untried Seedorf.

“First of all, I want to take this opportunity to salute Allegri, who in these two-and-a-half years has proven to be a great opponent for Juventus,” Conte responded to reporters today.

“I am sorry when a nemesis, in quotes, but one that has always been highly respected as an opponent, in the end has to lay down their arms.

“I’m sorry because Max Allegri is a Coach that I respect and that in two-and-a-half years has been an opponent on the field and also in terms of communication, through the media, which is always a part of the game.

“For me there is a great deal of respect, let’s not forget that he won the Scudetto with Milan and has always qualified for the Champions League. I say goodbye with affection and hope to see him again soon.

“Having said that, the choice of Seedorf is important for a club like Milan. According to me, the message you are trying to send that they wanted to find a person, a champion who has won a lot in his career, that knows them very well, and the environment at Milan.

“Certainly he has no experience as a Coach, but knowing Clarence as an opponent, both as a player and a Coach, I think that he may have everything to become a great Coach.

“I also have to say that it does not matter where you start, it matters where you get to. I said on my presentation day at Juventus, when they asked me if I was happy to be fifth or sixth choice, I said, it doesn’t matter where you start, but where you end up.

“The Coach should be like a good tailor, try to dress their team in the most beautiful dress, the dress that suits them.

“Maybe sometimes it may not be the most beautiful dress, but it may be what best suits, which in the end brings more guarantees from all points of view.

“Again, I am the Coach, I try to train the players that the club makes available to me.”

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Not disputing that, but people act as if it's severely lagging behind the other leagues, and that's not true. It's behind, but not by that much.
I think it's pretty severe. Seria A is on the Portugese/Holland league level right now. La Liga, EPL, and Bundesliga are all stronger.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I think it's pretty severe. Seria A is on the Portugese/Holland league level right now. La Liga, EPL, and Bundesliga are all stronger.
No, they are certainly not on Holland or Portuguese level. The difference in quality is significant one between Serie A and aforementioned leagues. Let's not underestimate Serie A now, as this seams to be the newest trend; wealthier clubs, better players, coaches, clubs that perform better in Europe (they won more coefficients), general appeal, etc... Serie A, despite reaching the lowest point in the last few years, is still more attractive destination and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
No.

Serie A is trailing a bit behind EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga, but still pretty far ahead of League 1, and miles and miles stronger than the leagues of Portugal or Holland.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Serie A is recovering IMO, even with the struggling Melanese clubs.

Nationally big clubs like Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Napoli, are doing much better now than some years ago.

Thing is, with Milan and Inter struggling, it looks like a bad league. But it's definitely NOT. The quality of a league is measured not only by the top teams, but by the average/small teams.

Napoli was completely reborn. Torino is clearly growing, a traditional team with a loyal and relevant fanbase. Parma, Udinese, Sampdoria, Genoa, are holding it together. All clubs invest in youth and have interesting young players. It's VERY different from a few years ago. Sassuolo has interesting players, and not only Berardi. Verona the same.

What I mean is that I see a clear improvement on teams management. Directors looking for youth talent outside Italy. Years ago, you'd only see old Italians playing for these teams. Money from TV is equally distributed, this makes a great difference.

2 things are lacking right now: recovery of Milanese Clubs and structural development (new stadiums, better image broadcasting). I don't know when this will happen, but I think that in 5/7 years things will be much better than regarding these 2 factors.

In other words, I'm optimistic about Serie A. Bundesliga is only fashionable right now because of Dortmund, who did an exceptional job in the last couple of years. La Liga is a 2team competition, regardless of Atletico.

IMO only EPL is clearly ahead of all others (a lot of big clubs, money, interesting players, good supporting, etc);

Barca and Real generate enormous interest around the world, not the league itself.

Bundesliga is fashionable because of Dortmund, even though the general quality really improved.

I see Italy far away from EPL (like the other leagues); and less interesting than La Liga because Milanese clubs are in a huge crisis and not generating internetional attention right now.

IMO it's a matter of 5 or a bit more years before we surpass Germany in terms of worldwide attention and compete with La Liga for the 2nd place, regarding attention to the League itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 80)