Antonio Conte (315 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rabbit

Secure The Bag
Jun 8, 2010
Crip $#@!s, Blood $#@!s, S.A.'s, Asians,
Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, White Boys, Jamaicans,
Latin Kings, Disciples, Vicelords, Hatians,
All these mother $#@!ers been patiently waiting,
Since the west coast fell off the streets been watching,
The west coast never fell off I was asleep in Compton,
Aftermath been here the beats been knocking,
Nate Dogg doing his thing DPG still poppin,
I got California love $#@!ing bitches to that Pac $#@!,
And westside connection been had it locked bitch,
I'm in the rear view my guns is $#@!ing,
I'll put red dots on that $#@! head like rodman,
All stars, phat laces, gun charge, court cases,
Fought that, not guilty I'm back,
$#@!s hate me been there, done that, sold crack,
Got jacked, got shot, came back jumped on Dre's back, payback,
Homie I'll bring your CA back,
And I don't do button up shirts or drive Maybacks,
All u old record labels trying to advance,
Aftermath bitch take it like a mother$#@! man,
gangsta till i die

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Conte is a big fish in a small pond. That's the truth. Every time we let in goals, we blame low concentration, what about the inability to score in Europe. We beat a half dead Chelsea , a Celtic teams thats get beaten every season, even the current AC Milan whooped them 3-0 at Parkhead. There's nothing great in this games. Maybe the away game to Shakthar was impressive but that's it. Benitez Napoli, actually had 12 points , they are only the second team in CL to not qualify with 12 points. Do you think if we were in their group we would manage 12 points?

No one seems to be answering, if we don't win the EL where would that put our season at? We are the top fave's in EL aren't we? And Conte has already said we want to win it.
Its frustrating to see teams like Inter Milan and Man U has more CL wins than us, we go in 10 games winning streak in Serie A and in Europe we fail against the likes of Copenhagen or Gala.

- - - Updated - - -

If we win, the Serie A three times in a row, does that place Conte's achievement above coaches like Lippi and Mourinho comparing about their experience in Serie A alone.
We do not have any inability in scoring in Europe. Where did you get that from? Last year we scored 3 goals against Chelsea in Turin and 2 goals in Stanford Bridge. We also scored 1 goal against the Danes away and 4 goals at home. Further, we scored 1 goal home and 1 away against Shakhtar. In the Last 16 round we scored 5 goals over two legs against Celtic. There has not been a single game where Juve failed to score in Europe last season and that was back when we didn't have Tevez or Llorente. Our European campaign last year has been a great success by any standard.

Now lets talk about this season.
We scored 3 past copenhagen home and 1 away. We scored 2 past madrid home and 1 away. We scored 2 past Galatasaray home and didn't score away.

Thats it. Of all the matches that Juve played in 2 seasons in Europe we didn't score in only one single game where the pitch was horrible and the match got played over two days. In all the other matches we had no problems scoring regardless of who was playing in our attack.

How did you deduce that we can't score in Europe from this? We also don't seem to have any trouble scoring freely in Serie A against the very same Napoli you admire. And yes we could have qualified from Napoli's group if we were on form. Dont forget that we are a lot harder to defeat than Napoli and that we perform on big occasions. It goes without saying that this is all hypothetical.

Our attack is more than good enough. It was defense and Buffon that were failing us both in Europe and Serie A at the beginning of the season. Go through the goals we conceded against Galatasaray and Madrid and you'll see what I am talking about. I'd hate to have to bring you the highlights of these matches and their Serie A parallels during that same period. And yes keeping players concentrated is part of Conte's job its not all on the players.

To answer your question, our season is an average one given our objectives. Our objective was to qualify from the group stage and retain the league title. We failed to qualify but it seems we will retain the title. A EL win is only good for image and fans' satisfaction.. but financially it is still worse than our start of season objectives. If we fail to win the EL (which is very possible given that its a cup competition) the season would still be average.

Last season we did great and over-achieved. This season we will under-achieve no matter what we do in the EL.

To your final question. I dont take this 3 times in a row success as equivalent to lippi's. Serie A was much more competitive back then even if Juve itself was much more wealthy and had a better squad. Its closest to Mancini's domestic run with Inter only our title challengers didnt have points deducted or relegated. Also Mancini didnt go a season unbeaten and started off with a very formidable Inter squad and a big wallet (compared to the Del Neri mess Conte started with).

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
We do not have any inability in scoring in Europe. Where did you get that from? Last year we scored 3 goals against Chelsea in Turin and 2 goals in Stanford Bridge. We also scored 1 goal against the Danes away and 4 goals at home. Further, we scored 1 goal home and 1 away against Shakhtar. In the Last 16 round we scored 5 goals over two legs against Celtic. There has not been a single game where Juve failed to score in Europe last season and that was back when we didn't have Tevez or Llorente. Our European campaign last year has been a great success by any standard.

Now lets talk about this season.
We scored 3 past copenhagen home and 1 away. We scored 2 past madrid home and 1 away. We scored 2 past Galatasaray home and didn't score away.

Thats it. Of all the matches that Juve played in 2 seasons in Europe we didn't score in only one single game where the pitch was horrible and the match got played over two days. In all the other matches we had no problems scoring regardless of who was playing in our attack.

How did you deduce that we can't score in Europe from this? We also don't seem to have any trouble scoring freely in Serie A against the very same Napoli you admire. And yes we could have qualified from Napoli's group if we were on form. Dont forget that we are a lot harder to defeat than Napoli and that we perform on big occasions. It goes without saying that this is all hypothetical.

Our attack is more than good enough. It was defense and Buffon that were failing us both in Europe and Serie A at the beginning of the season. Go through the goals we conceded against Galatasaray and Madrid and you'll see what I am talking about. I'd hate to have to bring you the highlights of these matches and their Serie A parallels during that same period. And yes keeping players concentrated is part of Conte's job its not all on the players.

To answer your question, our season is an average one given our objectives. Our objective was to qualify from the group stage and retain the league title. We failed to qualify but it seems we will retain the title. A EL win is only good for image and fans' satisfaction.. but financially it is still worse than our start of season objectives. If we fail to win the EL (which is very possible given that its a cup competition) the season would still be average.

Last season we did great and over-achieved. This season we will under-achieve no matter what we do in the EL.

To your final question. I dont take this 3 times in a row success as equivalent to lippi's. Serie A was much more competitive back then even if Juve itself was much more wealthy and had a better squad. Its closest to Mancini's domestic run with Inter only our title challengers didnt have points deducted or relegated. Also Mancini didnt go a season unbeaten and started off with a very formidable Inter squad and a big wallet (compared to the Del Neri mess Conte started with).
I am sure you well aware that i am talking about this season's disappointment. Last season we did alright, considering it was our first season in CL after some time. But lets not take the fact that Chelsea and Celtic of last season are not the same team they were. Cant imagine the fans here are paying so much respect to Celtic.

You highlighted the goals we scored, but you fail to mention out of 9 goals we scored, 4 were PK goals. From open play we only manage 5 goals. It's true defense was a problem but that was the obvious one. What many fails to see is the offense is not doing that great either. And not to forget, we have a Tevez who haven't scored in Europe for 4 season. And supposedly, this was the signing that suppose to elevate us in Europe. Without Tevez signing , we could still easily win this weak league.

Dumped out of group stage for CL, leading Serie A by 8 points, top favourites for EL, and the finals in Turin, failure to win the EL for me this is a disappointing season.
Especially with the star signings for offense. And like you said, we could qualify from Arsenal group, is hypothetical. If we are on form, bla bla bla.
The fact is we failed to qualify from an easier group.

Conte's first season was impressive. Was mindblowing. We nick the league against an AC Milan which had WC players like Zlatan and T.Silva. And we did it unbeaten. But the season latter, the team carried it self and we didn't really have a competition with Milan selling their star players.

I agree with the comparison against Mancini though. Both of them were big fish in a small pond.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I am sure you well aware that i am talking about this season's disappointment. Last season we did alright, considering it was our first season in CL after some time. But lets not take the fact that Chelsea and Celtic of last season are not the same team they were. Cant imagine the fans here are paying so much respect to Celtic.

You highlighted the goals we scored, but you fail to mention out of 9 goals we scored, 4 were PK goals. From open play we only manage 5 goals. It's true defense was a problem but that was the obvious one. What many fails to see is the offense is not doing that great either. And not to forget, we have a Tevez who haven't scored in Europe for 4 season. And supposedly, this was the signing that suppose to elevate us in Europe. Without Tevez signing , we could still easily win this weak league.

Dumped out of group stage for CL, leading Serie A by 8 points, top favourites for EL, and the finals in Turin, failure to win the EL for me this is a disappointing season.
Especially with the star signings for offense. And like you said, we could qualify from Arsenal group, is hypothetical. If we are on form, bla bla bla.
The fact is we failed to qualify from an easier group.

Conte's first season was impressive. Was mindblowing. We nick the league against an AC Milan which had WC players like Zlatan and T.Silva. And we did it unbeaten. But the season latter, the team carried it self and we didn't really have a competition with Milan selling their star players.

I agree with the comparison against Mancini though. Both of them were big fish in a small pond.
We are debating two different things here. The first is that Juve is unable to score in Europe and the second is that Conte is a big fish in a small pond.

Lets start by the first:
You claimed that Conte's teams can't score in Europe. I went through our two seasons in Europe and showed you that we had no trouble scoring especially last season where we scored an awful lot of goals. Conte was our coach and we had a much tougher group than this season. So we could say that on the attacking front, we had one great season and one okay (but not terrible) season. This hardly represents a trend at all. Half of the data says the attack did okay and the other half says we did more than okay. Mind you, both Celtic and Chelsea are teams that usually do nothing other than defend and park the bus. Celtic's defense did well against Barca's attack and Chelsea back then won a CL title just by defending properly. So to conclude this point, your claim which states that Conte's teams cannot defense is not supported by the evidence and is probably false given the little evidence we have.

Now lets move on to the second subject of debate: whether Conte is a big fish in a small pond.

You are making it seem that last season was a fluke and this season is the norm for Conte as a coach. I am arguing the opposite. This season was the fluke and last season is the norm. We both do not have sufficient evidence from CL games to conclusively end that argument (Since it has only been two seasons) but I can give you indicators as to why my hypothesis might be closer to reality.

1) In our first European season, Conte did well outside of the small pond (Serie A). Thats half of the data already.

2) If Conte was a big fish in a small pond then we should find that Juve's CL performances this season to be much worse than the Serie A performances that took place in the same time period. In other words, If your statement is correct, we should find that Juve was doing great in Serie A and horrible in CL. This does not hold simply because we were terrible in Serie A too. Our defense was gifting goals in both Serie A & the CL during that very same time period only we received favors from referees and were lucky to come out with the full points in Serie A. Conte during that period was not a big fish in Serie A, he was lucky and poor refereeing helped him to 4-6 points that Juve didn't deserve. A proper big fish in a small pond would have dominated in Serie A and won every match with ease and then suddenly flopped in Europe before going back to win with ease domestically (Mancini's Inter). Juve's terrible form during that period stretched over both competitions and wasn't specific to Serie A. This is not how big fishes in small ponds perform.

To conclude both points, we both agree that this season shrinks in comparison to our last season and that we have under-performed regardless of what we do in the EL. We only have two seasons to judge by which is not enough to make any accurate assessments yet. If we assume, for the sake of argument, that only two seasons are enough to make a proper judgment, half the data (last season) alone goes against both your hypotheses. The other half of the data (this season) does not indicate that Conte's teams are unable to score in Europe (though it may be slightly worrying) and clearly indicates that Juve's poor form in Europe was paralleled by poor form in Serie A in the same department (GK and defense) during the same time period. This is not a characteristic of a big fish in a small pond.

I hope this puts the matter to rest.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I stopped reading at this point. You must be $#@!ing clueless if you really think that your comment made any sense. :sergio:
Topping a difficult group without losing a single game and losing to the champions in the QF on our first season in europe without any good strikers is not success? are you nuts?

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
We are debating two different things here. The first is that Juve is unable to score in Europe and the second is that Conte is a big fish in a small pond.

Lets start by the first:
You claimed that Conte's teams can't score in Europe. I went through our two seasons in Europe and showed you that we had no trouble scoring especially last season where we scored an awful lot of goals. Conte was our coach and we had a much tougher group than this season. So we could say that on the attacking front, we had one great season and one okay (but not terrible) season. This hardly represents a trend at all. Half of the data says the attack did okay and the other half says we did more than okay. Mind you, both Celtic and Chelsea are teams that usually do nothing other than defend and park the bus. Celtic's defense did well against Barca's attack and Chelsea back then won a CL title just by defending properly. So to conclude this point, your claim which states that Conte's teams cannot defense is not supported by the evidence and is probably false given the little evidence we have.

Now lets move on to the second subject of debate: whether Conte is a big fish in a small pond.

You are making it seem that last season was a fluke and this season is the norm for Conte as a coach. I am arguing the opposite. This season was the fluke and last season is the norm. We both do not have sufficient evidence from CL games to conclusively end that argument (Since it has only been two seasons) but I can give you indicators as to why my hypothesis might be closer to reality.

1) In our first European season, Conte did well outside of the small pond (Serie A). Thats half of the data already.

2) If Conte was a big fish in a small pond then we should find that Juve's CL performances this season to be much worse than the Serie A performances that took place in the same time period. In other words, If your statement is correct, we should find that Juve was doing great in Serie A and horrible in CL. This does not hold simply because we were terrible in Serie A too. Our defense was gifting goals in both Serie A & the CL during that very same time period only we received favors from referees and were lucky to come out with the full points in Serie A. Conte during that period was not a big fish in Serie A, he was lucky and poor refereeing helped him to 4-6 points that Juve didn't deserve. A proper big fish in a small pond would have dominated in Serie A and won every match with ease and then suddenly flopped in Europe before going back to win with ease domestically (Mancini's Inter). Juve's terrible form during that period stretched over both competitions and wasn't specific to Serie A. This is not how big fishes in small ponds perform.

To conclude both points, we both agree that this season shrinks in comparison to our last season and that we have under-performed regardless of what we do in the EL. We only have two seasons to judge by which is not enough to make any accurate assessments yet. If we assume, for the sake of argument, that only two seasons are enough to make a proper judgment, half the data (last season) alone goes against both your hypotheses. The other half of the data (this season) does not indicate that Conte's teams are unable to score in Europe (though it may be slightly worrying) and clearly indicates that Juve's poor form in Europe was paralleled by poor form in Serie A in the same department (GK and defense) during the same time period. This is not a characteristic of a big fish in a small pond.

I hope this puts the matter to rest.
The difference you keep on stressing here, is form in Europe. The great Celtic defense you mean, oh my the same Celtic defense that let in 3 goals against a lousy Milan and 6 goals against Barca. And the Chelsea team, that had its coach sacked. And my argument on scoring is for this season CL , not last season. This season our scoring couldn't bail our defence out.

Let's see how we make this EL and next season CL and then you can say form or really we suck in Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Topping a difficult group without losing a single game and losing to the champions in the QF on our first season in europe without any good strikers is not success? are you nuts?
Losing to the champions they say, losing 4-0 on aggregate they never say.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
I'm pretty confident Conte will go back to a 4-3-3 next season and we will do pretty well in the CL. Think we have to atleast make the semi-final of EL we need the points to keep us in pot 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 309)