Antonio Conte (40 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
As I said after the first group game, maybe Conte doesn't have what it takes in Europe. What do you guys think?
Its not inexperience, its stubbornness!! He refuses to change anything when things are going bad. He change his system ONE TIME against Real and we outplayed them badly. Then, for some reason, and i will never understand why, he decided to go back straight to the 3-5-2. He didnt even fucking try and continue the 4-3-3. And if i remember correctly, after the Bernabeu game we had an easy match the following weekend where he could have taken the chance and play the 4-3-3.

Buy on AliExpress.com

fredrik

Aug 7, 2011
When we are by far the most underperforming team in cl this year, one have to consider contes job. It was not one match but 5 horrible matches. Luck was only a small part of it, and we should not have to count on luck to begin with. We are far superior to gala and København and that was not translated into wins or the field. When our players are nervous at Home to fucking København, the manager has failed to instill the needed calm and selfbelive in the players. The nervousness was imo or bane and why we failed.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
The only way this 3-5-2 business is going to work is if we either get super offensive wingbacks like Cuadrado and Bale on the flanks or we start using a trequartista like Napoli did with Hamsik. Having Lichtsteiner and Asamoah providing offense doesn't work with the big boys in Europe.

At the end of the day, I know Conte loves his defence and if he could he'd use defenders everywhere on the pitch but defence is NOT our issue in Europe, offense is.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Only 5 minutes separated us from qualifying and no one would mention dismissal in that case or limitation. But funny to read some of the comments nonetheless.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
People who say Conte shouldn't be blamed are so wrong. He's to blame for such poor results this year. He's to blame for the Gala game too. We didn't look too interested in winning the game and we took wrong way of playing it. Gala used long balls a lot more than us and it worked for them. We instead tried to play short passes on our half and we paid for that. Conte is the one to blame for that, he gave those instructions to players.

We need a change of tactics and formation not to mention mentality. Pussy football, taking the safer option - no matter how you call it you can't expect success in CL with such attitude. Also you simply CANNOT play possession football without wingers. I'm asking for permanent switch to 433 for almost 2 years now. 352 has its use in Serie A but it's not working in Europe and it won't change. We play too slow and predictable football as for CL standards let's not kid ourselves.

Mar 10, 2009
I'll address the elephant in the room since everyone is being too defensive. Conte takes most of the blame here, he stubbornly refused to change tactics and was deluded by the fact that he is topping quite possibly the worst serie a ever. Winning once in a group like that is a disgrace and failing to keep one clean sheet is abysmal. Fact of the matter Juventus look lost in Europe, we didn't look like we wanted to be there, we looked scared and confused, we set up defensively and yet conceded a goal every game. I don't think Conte genuinely believed in Juve, he keeps reminding everyone how we are no where near ready to compete with the big guns. Season is over, being part of the Europa League doesn't mean anything to Serie A teams, we'll be out by March, and winning a crappy serie A has no merit anymore. The best we can hope for now, is try to convince the likes of Pogba and vidal to stay. I do believe Conte has taken us as far as he can go, he's just a Mancini 2.0. End of the Day Mancini 1.0 triumphed over a Mancini 2.0.

B3N

Floro Fckin' Flores
May 16, 2010
Maybe it was mentioned already, but compare Conte's approach in serie A/ Europe, to Mourinho's approach in serie A and Europe when Inter won it.

Mourinho realized that what worked for him in serie A fails in Europe, so he even put Pandev and Eto'o on the wings of a 4-2-3-1. In Serie A he was using another system, but in Europe he chose an entirely different formation. He adapted. Conte couldn't adapt and he used Pepe's absence as an excuse.

I feel sorry for this Juve generation. Individually we have really strong players. But with Pirlo, Barzagli, Buffon, Vucinic, soon Chiellini, Licht, Tevez in their 30's, it's gonna take some other Juventus to do well in the CL and make the last stages. Last year things could be blamed on inexperience in the CL. That's why we were happy with the 1/4 finals. But this year we simply had to adapt to European football. Conte stubbornly refused to do so, both in the summer mercato and after it.
I wouldn't worry about players ages. key players of that inter side were all in their early 30's, late 20's.

and iirc, he used Eto'o on the left and altered his formation a bit when they faced barca and some part of the final facing bayern defending their result. I think he played the same setup (snejder playing behind eto'o and milito) for the most part and some knockout matches like against chelsea. anyway what I'm trying to say is their wonderful season wasn't all down to his tactics (although it was executed flawlessly) as he failed to repeat the same success with a better side in madrid and his new chelsea side look inconsistent and flat at times both in Europe and domestically to do something meaningful this season,
but also his man management and great relationship with players, them willing to put that extra effort. stuff that are often overlooked and taken for granted.

I don't think Conte is that much stubburn to be honest as the players themselves are more comfortable playing this formation. ( Tevez playing off Llorente, more freedom for our cm's and that back three shape which is solid enough when they decide to not do fck ups). He does adapt like the way we held our own against real and has had his fair share of experiments with formation (not in an amaturish way like ferrera to fck everythings up) but can't blame them for mostly playing the 3-5-2 with this squad. I don't think Pepe ,being the only right winger and not availabe in his disposal, was just an excuse.

obviously this whole campaign wasn't good enough, the man admited it himself, but it's unfair to put all the blame on him as the players had also their moments, enough to put us in the situation we were in. I agree not completely building/focusing on 3-5-2 (trying to get some wingers perhaps) is needed and I believe Conte will change things up like he has before when he sees fit .

I understand the dissappoinment and we're all pissed but as of now all this 'limited', 'I miss deschamps' , 'how about Prandelli' (what about him?) is just beer talk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)