Android (2 Viewers)

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I am just glad that the times of having to pay over 600+ euros for a good phone are gone.

A friend of mine bought a Samsung A50 for 250 euros, Xiaomi note 7 pro was even cheaper.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
How do you like it?
amazing

software/navigation through OS is quick as hell, no llags or freezes or anything yet
display is crisp and bright with high resolution, I run it on mid brightness now even on sunny days
camera looks good however I'm not much of an instagrammer so barely use the camera
battery is average I guess but you can get away with charging only every 2-3 days if you have to

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I'm looking for a new phone, I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo for 4-5 years. But time to change I guess

I'm hesitating between Samsung Galaxy S10 (and S10+ but I'm worried about the size of it) and the Huawei P30 Pro

The inconvenience with Huawei tho is all the uncertainty with the trade war with the US and the probable change of Operating System. Besides EMUI isn't great apparently. But everything else is great with the P30 Pro (Love the camera and the battery life)

S10 doesn't have that much more battery life than I've had with my current phone but still is a substantially much better phone. S10+ has comparable battery life with the P30 Pro but like I said I'm concerned about the phone being too big.

Does anyone has experience with any of those phones or any other good phones?

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I'm looking for a new phone, I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo for 4-5 years. But time to change I guess

I'm hesitating between Samsung Galaxy S10 (and S10+ but I'm worried about the size of it) and the Huawei P30 Pro

The inconvenience with Huawei tho is all the uncertainty with the trade war with the US and the probable change of Operating System. Besides EMUI isn't great apparently. But everything else is great with the P30 Pro (Love the camera and the battery life)

S10 doesn't have that much more battery life than I've had with my current phone but still is a substantially much better phone. S10+ has comparable battery life with the P30 Pro but like I said I'm concerned about the phone being too big.

Does anyone has experience with any of those phones or any other good phones?
what are your priorities?

mine were: 1. camera 2. long software support 3. oled screen 4. relatively compact size 5. below 400€. so i bought a pixel 2 and i'm still happy with it. with some other priorities (like battery life, gaming, design) in mind, i would never have picked this phone.

as for the 2 mentioned devices: if you'd like to keep your next phone for an other 4-5 years, get a oneplus or a xiaomi. these companies support their devices for a very long time. i'd also suggest a pixel as it's the best android experience (with oneplus a close second), but pixel 3/3a and their xl versions aren't too fancy and 4/4xl is way overpriced with meh specs for what it is.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
what are your priorities?

mine were: 1. camera 2. long software support 3. oled screen 4. relatively compact size 5. below 400€. so i bought a pixel 2 and i'm still happy with it. with some other priorities (like battery life, gaming, design) in mind, i would never have picked this phone.

as for the 2 mentioned devices: if you'd like to keep your next phone for an other 4-5 years, get a oneplus or a xiaomi. these companies support their devices for a very long time. i'd also suggest a pixel as it's the best android experience (with oneplus a close second), but pixel 3/3a and their xl versions aren't too fancy and 4/4xl is way overpriced with meh specs for what it is.
Priorities 1. Good software UI 2. Storage of at least 128 GB tied with Good display 4. Battery life 5. Camera

I don't mind paying for a very good phone this time. I want my next phone to last me for a long time

OnePlus seems like a nice option to consider, I'm not familiar with Xiaomi. But I gotta say I've been in general pretty satisfied with Samsung but of course if there are good alternatives I'll look into them

Thanks man for the answer

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Priorities 1. Good software UI 2. Storage of at least 128 GB tied with Good display 4. Battery life 5. Camera
that's the oneplus 7t pro ;)

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_7t_pro-review-2008.php

the regular 7t is an equally good phone. the 90 hz display on some oneplus models is something special, you have to see it before buying anything else.

as for huawei, i never liked emui, so no matter how great the hardware is, i can't wholeheartedly recommend it. camera and battery life are great on the p30 pro though.

xiaomi's miui is a lot better than emui, but if you're willing to spend for a oneplus, and camera is not a huge priority, there's no point in getting any xiaomi over a oneplus.

as for the samsung's, the new one ui is actually quite nice with the redesigned menus, the dark mode and some less bloated default software too. after 2 xiaomi's, i bought a samsung for the missus, and she's been enjoying it. the flagships have a very hard task competing with oneplus, though. ip rating, sd card slot and headphone jack are fine, but battery life isn't that great on any s10 unfortunately, and they can't match the snappy oneplus performance either. also, samsung used to be the undisputed king of displays in basically any price range, but that's not the case anymore. 90 hz is the flavor of the year.

one general remark: 5g is already available in some countries and will become widespread in no time. if you want a future proof device, you might want to consider 5g too. in that case, you have to check what's available in your region. for instance, there are around ~20 5g models on the market, but for me, the lg v50 5g, the samsung note 10 5g and the xiaomi mi mix 3 5g are the only available 5g phones with a proper hungarian warranty. so there's that, too.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
that's the oneplus 7t pro ;)

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_7t_pro-review-2008.php

the regular 7t is an equally good phone. the 90 hz display on some oneplus models is something special, you have to see it before buying anything else.

as for huawei, i never liked emui, so no matter how great the hardware is, i can't wholeheartedly recommend it. camera and battery life are great on the p30 pro though.

xiaomi's miui is a lot better than emui, but if you're willing to spend for a oneplus, and camera is not a huge priority, there's no point in getting any xiaomi over a oneplus.

as for the samsung's, the new one ui is actually quite nice with the redesigned menus, the dark mode and some less bloated default software too. after 2 xiaomi's, i bought a samsung for the missus, and she's been enjoying it. the flagships have a very hard task competing with oneplus, though. ip rating, sd card slot and headphone jack are fine, but battery life isn't that great on any s10 unfortunately, and they can't match the snappy oneplus performance either. also, samsung used to be the undisputed king of displays in basically any price range, but that's not the case anymore. 90 hz is the flavor of the year.

one general remark: 5g is already available in some countries and will become widespread in no time. if you want a future proof device, you might want to consider 5g too. in that case, you have to check what's available in your region. for instance, there are around ~20 5g models on the market, but for me, the lg v50 5g, the samsung note 10 5g and the xiaomi mi mix 3 5g are the only available 5g phones with a proper hungarian warranty. so there's that, too.
Holy shit! The OnePlus 7t Pro is a total beast!

I'll think all of this through I'm considering buying around December/Christmas.

Great advice :dule:

Last edited:

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Anyone know anything about Android development? Strongly considering taking classes for it, but I'd like to know what things I should be looking for.
Google has an entry course on udacity, it's free and pretty great beginning course
https://www.udacity.com/course/new-android-fundamentals--ud851

You'd have to know both Java and Kotlin, with Kotlin is a future. But the OSS code-base is like 70/30 in Java. There is no rocket science though, communities are great, NDK is much better than it was 5-6 years ago, plenty of resources. I'm doing sometimes Android for fun, just to keep in touch with Kotlin development. Ask me anything if you have any questions.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
any good cheap tablets you could suggest?

I read about Fire HD 7-8 and Vankyo MatrixPad S7-8.

Can't use google stuff on the Fire[there are hacks but will they still work later?]. No gps on it.
Vankyo got everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)