Android (20 Viewers)

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #283
    This is sad. This thing has more memory than my old laptop. It won't be long before phones are dual core and have more memory than my current laptop. That'll be such a sad day, my sweet sweet laptop no more powerful than this flimsy gadget.
    Drop the hate on handhelds, they are really great.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Depends on which Palm model he has

The new Pixi and Pre with webOS are both actually impressive

But if he has the old Treo or Centro then yeah, he needs to upgrade fast

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    This is sad. This thing has more memory than my old laptop. It won't be long before phones are dual core and have more memory than my current laptop. That'll be such a sad day, my sweet sweet laptop no more powerful than this flimsy gadget.
    rejoice man,you will be able to carry around something so powerful,so wondrous,you won't need to take a laptop with you

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    rejoice man,you will be able to carry around something so powerful,so wondrous,you won't need to take a laptop with you
    These things are getting stupid powerful. Soon I can run my video encoder on a phone just like I do on a laptop. Not great for battery life, but possible. Don't even have to encode as much video data for a smaller screen.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Silly rabbit, trix are for kids
    You got me racking my brain, I can't remember where that's from.

Anywho, like I told you guys a while back, 2.2 has a JIT (you don't need to know what it is, suffice it to say it's awsum1), giving a very nice performance improvement:

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-one-running-450-faster-thanks-to-froyo-android-2-2-20100511/

It's getting to the point where I'm getting interested in phones, when the language technologies are getting to be this well developed. I remember a time when you could download the Java SDK from Sun to code for phones and it was this complete piece of trash that would display an emulator window in monochrome or something, with a 40x30 pixel grid or whatever where you could do all your "magic". It's nice to see we've moved on from there.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    I heard that on a pure benchmark alone, Android 2.2 AKA froyo runs 436 times faster than 2.1!!

Dear lord, thank you for Google and all it does

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I heard that on a pure benchmark alone, Android 2.2 AKA froyo runs 436 times faster than 2.1!!

Dear lord, thank you for Google and all it does
    Yeah, that was written by people who don't understand numbers. It's actually 450% which means 4.5x faster. Which is an incredible speed up.

Apr 15, 2006
    But one thing I'm scared of is whether and when current phones will get a FroYo update. Manufacturers are taking their own time to release new updates running 2.1 on the first place. For ex., HTC is still not giving a proper date when the HTC Hero gets 2.1, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is gonna get 2.1 in Q4 2010, which is ridiculous! If things go this way, and it's gonna be terrible. We'll need to buy new phones just to get a better OS.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    But one thing I'm scared of is whether and when current phones will get a FroYo update. Manufacturers are taking their own time to release new updates running 2.1 on the first place. For ex., HTC is still not giving a proper date when the HTC Hero gets 2.1, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is gonna get 2.1 in Q4 2010, which is ridiculous! If things go this way, and it's gonna be terrible. We'll need to buy new phones just to get a better OS.
    It's my impression (and I'm just casually keeping an eye on things so I don't have any inside scoop) that with Android manufacturers generally don't bother giving you the new OS release, I guess by the time they've sold you the handset it's a loss for them to keep supporting it.

In other words phones are not like computers where you can keep the same hardware for years and just update the OS. At least nothing so far to suggest that.

That's why this market needs way more openness so that owners can admin their own phones freely.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #300
    I think we will reach the time where we keep our phones longer than we usually do and just upgrade its OS when the hardware gets mature enough to be kept. We are just at the beginning and there is a lot to be added on these devices, the ideas are just flowing and the manufacturers are more than happy. They will keep producing like they are doing now up until there is not much more to be added on the devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)