Android (32 Viewers)

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
No like sprint navigation, voice mail, chomp sms, etc. I can't remember the rest right now.
Ok well some of those I can understand like your SMS client running but the Sprint navi stuff is all that carrier loaded shit that dumbs down the phone. I don't know if you can disable that but I'm sure there's a way.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I sill don't understand the advantage of rooting the phone is :oops:

Btw, I read somewhere that Android 2.1 for the Hero is having a world wide release on the 16th of this month. Is that true?

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005

Btw, I read somewhere that Android 2.1 for the Hero is having a world wide release on the 16th of this month. Is that true?
ohmygod,ohmygod,ohmygod.......damn,too late,i just nutted myself

Apr 15, 2006
Did it slow down your phone any? Have you notice any (positive) differences in the new FW?
Slowdown? :rofl: My phone is faster than ever dude!

The biggest advantage of rooting is that you can install customer recovery software, where you can pretty much backup your phone COMPLETELY as it is. Once this is done, you can start installing custom ROM's which gives you different functionality as chosen by the ROM creator. For ex., one ROM can have tweaks to make it perform faster. Whereas another ROM will not have any branding or operator apps, like shitty apps from Sprint, T-Mo, Verizon, etc. It's like the gateway to Pimp My Phone. ;)

And yeah, the 2.1 update for the Hero might roll out soon.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
It's pretty much a system image you can load onto your phone. Right now your phone has the Sprint Hero ROM. This determines all the features and settings which come loaded onto your phone. Once you root your device you will have dev admin access to pretty much customize the fack out of your phone by unleashing its true potential and capability. This includes processing speeds, functionality, radio updates, etc..

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Is that a violation of my contract? Not that I particularly care about that but I'm probably going to have this phone for at least a year so I don't want to screw anything up.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Not at all

The phone contract doesn't embody the handset itself, only the rate, data, messaging plans. Also the usage of what the plan embodies.

The only thing you could risk is the phone warranty if you brick the device while trying to root it or load a new custom ROM but that is inconsequential since you bought the phone second hand and the warranty info wasn't disclosed. Although, you could go to a Sprint store and give them the ESN on the phone and they could tell you the warranty status on it. But either way you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by rooting your phone.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Oh, I ended up selling the used phone I got and got a new one.

Aight, I'll look into it. I haven't even done some of the basic things to play around with it. I wanna change themes but can't find any good ones :p

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
JCK, I wanna go back to Motorola. I regret giving away my RAZR v3i. Best phone I ever had...

Sheik, thanks. I had no idea it was launched here :weee: Better still its loaded with Android 2.1 out of the box. Nice. First thing I'll buy when I get my yearly bonus (hopefully) end of this month or next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)