Android (98 Viewers)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I don't ever have that on.

So I took it off the charger when it got fully charged. Checked 2 messages from my email account, went into the settings a bit and now the phone is down to 96%. Does that sound normal? I might be totally mistaken because I'm not used to smart phones with all these features.

Apr 15, 2006
I don't ever have that on.

So I took it off the charger when it got fully charged. Checked 2 messages from my email account, went into the settings a bit and now the phone is down to 96%. Does that sound normal? I might be totally mistaken because I'm not used to smart phones with all these features.
Does sound normal considering this is about a week old. GO to Settings>About Phone>Battery Use and check which app used more battery other than Cell Standby and Phone Idle.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
But Ze, my personal advice is not to use any task manager app, like TasKiller. There are a lot of issues I faced with my phone, which mysteriously stopped after I stopped using a task killer program.
Really? How do you manage apps that are running in the background? I'm running Advanced Task Killer right now.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #208
    Really? How do you manage apps that are running in the background? I'm running Advanced Task Killer right now.
    That's the best way to go. I kill all apps all the time as it is the easiest way to save battery.

Apr 15, 2006
    The thing is, Android manages apps differently. Even though an app is running, it's put into a sleep state if it is not active. So it'll just rest in the memory. I've read that CPU cycles is what consumes more power rather than apps stored in the RAM. Android automatically ends apps with a low priority to free up space. If you use ATK, then it's better if you end the apps manually rather doing Kill All Tasks.

I remember there was an issue with alarms not ringing when the phone is in standby. I faced this issue while using ATK(free version), but the issue never occurred once I stopped using it. Another issue was my EDGE service would not connect cos it would say 'Mobile service is not running' or something like that. This has happened extremely less after I stopped using ATK. So use it wisely.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #210
    The thing is, Android manages apps differently. Even though an app is running, it's put into a sleep state if it is not active. So it'll just rest in the memory. I've read that CPU cycles is what consumes more power rather than apps stored in the RAM. Android automatically ends apps with a low priority to free up space. If you use ATK, then it's better if you end the apps manually rather doing Kill All Tasks.

I remember there was an issue with alarms not ringing when the phone is in standby. I faced this issue while using ATK(free version), but the issue never occurred once I stopped using it. Another issue was my EDGE service would not connect cos it would say 'Mobile service is not running' or something like that. This has happened extremely less after I stopped using ATK. So use it wisely.
    Yes of course, I kill all apps except for clock only for the alarm to ring.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #212
    Safe from what? My phone functions as it should without any apps running (except for clock)

Apr 15, 2006
    Good for you, Jack. It's just a general advice for anyone using ATK. Like I said earlier about my EDGE service being unavailable, similar issues might arise on some phones if ATK is given full liberty to kill any and all apps.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    ATK or any other task killer app is a must on any Android device

I've used it on non rooted DREAM and Magic and am still using on my rooted Hero and the results are still very indicative that using any task killer saves battery and increases phone perfomance

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #216
    Excuse my stupidness, but how exactly does the ATK work? I had it before my update but I wasn't exactly sure of how to use it.
    Start it and it will list all running apps with a tick on, you either choose to leave them ticked or untick them. Then there is a huge button on top that says "kill selected applications" and if you press it all the ticked apps will be shut down.

As I said previously I always have the clock unticked and I kill all others.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Excuse my stupidness, but how exactly does the ATK work? I had it before my update but I wasn't exactly sure of how to use it.
    It runs in your taskbar in the top left. You pull down the taskbar and click on it to pull up all the active programs running. You can long press on an item and either end it or ignore it. Or you can kill all tasks at once. It frees up so much memory

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #218
    It runs in your taskbar in the top left. You pull down the taskbar and click on it to pull up all the active programs running. You can long press on an item and either end it or ignore it. Or you can kill all tasks at once. It frees up so much memory
    And saves battery.

Christina

vanilla pudding
    Aug 21, 2006
    So once I kill them, can I still access them if needed? Like messaging for example, if I received a text and the app is killed, will I receive a notification?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 97)