Americans too stupid for cricket? (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #82
    delpiero06, no point in continuing explaining myself to you, you simply won't understand. Have a good day.

Do you see how "soccer" is virtually nonexistant in America? Well Cricket is just like that multplied by 100 in Saudi. And I bet that's true to a lot of countries in your list...

PS: for the love of god change ur avatar, everytime I see your posts I think its Rob....
    I understand, but the teams listed under TEST and ODI are active teams w/great interest.

and, I'm looking for a Trez avatar then I'll change :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Had it had a question mark and an acceptable article to it I wouldn't have gone buck-wild, so yes it would have been O.K. with me. We're grown-ups here, clearly any intelligent person who read the article would have understood that. But if there's a problem than go ahead and change, fuck if I care, I had no intention on insulting anyone.
    Zé, I know you too well to know that you're not trying to stir up sh*t. Unfortunately, other posters don't always know that. (delpiero06 being a perfect example.)

And while blockquoting an article doesn't necessarily mean they're your own beliefs or statements, I think anyone who posts an external source here -- whether the New York Times or the Jihad Weekly -- needs to be a little sensitive to that fact. Someone could post articles from some third-party source that claimed Jews were more related to pigs and thieves (and there are definitely sources out there) and then give that "I didn't do nothing!" look like many players give the ref after a studs-up tackle.

Now it's clear from the content of the article, the piece wasn't written to be inflammatory. But context means a lot. I don't think you did anything wrong per se, but I also think it's a little naive to post a headline like that and not expect a reaction -- from Americans or some other people if the subject was different.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Had it had an inquisitive heading and an acceptable article to it I wouldn't have gone buck-wild, so yes it would have been O.K. with me. We're grown-ups here, clearly any intelligent person who read the article would have understood that. But if there's a problem than go ahead and change, fuck if I care, I had no intention on insulting anyone.
    No offense Tahir, but you're always posting shit like this.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    Do you see how "soccer" is virtually nonexistant in America? Well Cricket is just like that multplied by 100 in Saudi. And I bet that's true to a lot of countries in your list...

PS: for the love of god change ur avatar, everytime I see your posts I think its Rob....
    have you ever been to america?? soccer is not nonexistent it is by far the most popular sport for youth to play it just isnt watched on tv. Soccer is even rapidly growing in that respect as well it used to be that only immigrants and major soccer fans watched, at my highschool now there are dozens of people who watch fox soccer channel and are getting into following the game proffesonail soccer is growing rapidly popular unfortunately almost all the new soccer fans here like chelsea, barcelona or arsenal even a few inter fans and none of them like juve! my close friends are not soccer fans yet they all watched a number of world cup games and they listen to me when i talk about and they all enjoy playing it, though they all suck at it. Soccer could soon be huge in the U.S. just not really the MLS league most people prefer watching the premiership.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #87
    Zé, I know you too well to know that you're not trying to stir up sh*t. Unfortunately, other posters don't always know that. (delpiero06 being a perfect example.)

And while blockquoting an article doesn't necessarily mean they're your own beliefs or statements, I think anyone who posts an external source here -- whether the New York Times or the Jihad Weekly -- needs to be a little sensitive to that fact. Someone could post articles from some third-party source that claimed Jews were more related to pigs and thieves (and there are definitely sources out there) and then give that "I didn't do nothing!" look like many players give the ref after a studs-up tackle.

Now it's clear from the content of the article, the piece wasn't written to be inflammatory. But context means a lot. I don't think you did anything wrong per se, but I also think it's a little naive to post a headline like that and not expect a reaction -- from Americans or some other people if the subject was different.
    No offense Tahir, but you're always posting shit like this.
    I see what you mean Greg, and I apologize if people took it the wrong way.

PS:I would like to add that there are millions of Americans who love to rip on the rest of the world for liking football (soccer) and they do it with no shame. They even do it on TV. So if you felt insulted by this (though clearly, it's been a big misunderstanding), the entire world has the right to feel insulted by them. Just saying.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    I see what you mean Greg, and I apologize if people took it the wrong way.

PS:I would like to add that there are millions of Americans who love to rip on the rest of the world for liking football (soccer) and they do it with no shame. They even do it on TV. So if you felt insulted by this (though clearly, it's been a big misunderstanding), the entire world has the right to feel insulted by them. Just saying.
    ive lived my america my entire life and ive heard people call soccer dumb but i have never heard anybody seriously insult other people for liking soccer. and if thats true and you have a right to feel insulted why do i not have the right to feel insulted for being called ignorant andstupid just for not liking cricket ?

and maybe i am an ignorant stupid asshole just for being an american and being part of this strange culture but im damn proud of it and i would much rather be me than some supposedly smarter foreigner living in a poor country in a mud hut needing aide( that according to you america doesnt give) and waiting to be killed by some crazy ass militia hired by my own government(cough cough Darfur) which is of course far supieror to americas government. maybe im just strange but i'd choose a dumb president over when thats corrupt and attacks its own people i prefer bush over Saddam

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    have you ever been to america?? soccer is not nonexistent it is by far the most popular sport for youth to play it just isnt watched on tv. Soccer is even rapidly growing in that respect as well it used to be that only immigrants and major soccer fans watched, at my highschool now there are dozens of people who watch fox soccer channel and are getting into following the game proffesonail soccer is growing rapidly popular unfortunately almost all the new soccer fans here like chelsea, barcelona or arsenal even a few inter fans and none of them like juve! my close friends are not soccer fans yet they all watched a number of world cup games and they listen to me when i talk about and they all enjoy playing it, though they all suck at it. Soccer could soon be huge in the U.S. just not really the MLS league most people prefer watching the premiership.
    Ya I have. A lot might I add.

And ya I know that soccer is popular with the kids, until they get into highschool and change to a "real" sport...I also know that the women soccer team is one of the best in the world.

And oh yeah, I am also familiar with the phrase "soccer mom" ;)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    Ya I have. A lot might I add.

And ya I know that soccer is popular with the kids, until they get into highschool and change to a "real" sport...I also know that the women soccer team is one of the best in the world.

And oh yeah, I am also familiar with the phrase "soccer mom" ;)
    things are changingly rapidly kids used to like soccer only to play not to watch proffesionals but know that is changing. Now kids whom dont play the sport are getting interested in watching it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    What does intelligence have to do with accepting cricket? You can be a fucking retard in Pakistan and love cricket, does that mean he is more intelligent than a scientist for MIT? It has everything to do with GDP as money is directly correlated to people who happen to be intelligent and know how to manipulate market structures. Bill Gates and Andrew Fastow are Americans but yeah, theyre complete idiots and have no idea how to follow cricket. Makes a lot of sense.

This is Andy and I have played football since I was four, you cockmonger. That is probably a younger age than you played the sport, so if we're following your inane logic I have a greater football sense than you just because I "accepted" the sport at an earlier age. I mean seriously, one could make as many arguments as they'd like, but stating Americans are too stupid for cricket is just more nonsense on the behalf of journals from other countries.

You may like that, it's completely fine. But don't think such opinions will go without a response and factual backing in terms of economic analysis.

PS - Cricket is shit.
    what economic analysis? you re just polarizing the argument here. America has no right to claim itself smarter than anyone else. the complexities of economic growth and wealth have a lot and i mean a LOT to do with elements outside manpower (simple example let's put bill gates in eritrea and see how he fares). Sticking to the subject at hand which is outside politics/economics; just like your example states we dont care about cricket because we neither grew up with it nor does it fit with our culture simple as that. And quit your hatin on baseball :p America's pastime shall subsist

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Ze Tahir said:
    Vinni, sometimes I wonder whether you're really an Italian-American living in Buffalo, because your political views sound nothing short of redneck America
    so I suppose that if you post an article that I, and every other American here feels is offensive, then I must be a redneck ?? Wonderful thinking, believe what you want...

Like Greg said, if one of us posted an article that started with "all Pakistani's smell like rotten curry..." then I believe we would have a fight on our hands

Then others here try to justify it with comparisons to ignorant American people, and Baptist churches ???(Bes)...

For your information guys, EVERY country has their fair amount of ignorant people, not just America

Bes...you ever been to a Leafs game ?? Talk aboot a bunch of drunken retards (plenty get locked up in Buffalo during and after the game for being drunken idiots)

I turn on the tv and see Islamic schools in Pakistan, where they are brain-washing these young kids with hate...they are thrusting their bodies back and forth as they sit their screaming at the top of their lungs denouncing all that is non-Muslim

so you see people, ignorance is EVERYWHERE !!!

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #95
    so I suppose that if you post an article that I, and every other American here feels is offensive, then I must be a redneck ?? Wonderful thinking, believe what you want...

Like Greg said, if one of us posted an article that started with "all Pakistani's smell like rotten curry..." then I believe we would have a fight on our hands

Then others here try to justify it with comparisons to ignorant American people, and Baptist churches ???(Bes)...

For your information guys, EVERY country has their fair amount of ignorant people, not just America

Bes...you ever been to a Leafs game ?? Talk aboot a bunch of drunken retards (plenty get locked up in Buffalo during and after the game for being drunken idiots)

I turn on the tv and see Islamic schools in Pakistan, where they are brain-washing these young kids with hate...they are thrusting their bodies back and forth as they sit their screaming at the top of their lungs denouncing all that is non-Muslim

so you see people, ignorance is EVERYWHERE !!!
    Vinnie, Ze wasn't denying you the right to be offended at something which is said about your country. I think his comment was directed at your question:
    Thanks Gray.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    gahndiland doesnt exist.
    damnit i was saving up for the last year so i could hit the non-violent protest ride, ah well dollyland it is then

PS - Cricket is shit.
    finally someone says something i can agree with, though you can add baseball to that list for me.

basketball is the shit though, DEFENCE DEFENCE....OFFENCE OFFENCE...pkus for a non-contact sport its got more action than fabio capello in teh youth teams shower rom

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)