American NFL Football (11 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
We will see, but now instead of needing a cb, s, and maybe an olb. We need a nose tackle, defensive tackle, cb, s, and another outside linebacker.

Apparently the inside linebackers will be Cushing and Ryans, and one of the outside linebackers will be Barwin.
Cushing as an inside LB?

He didn't even play that position in college.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Not only does that comments list prove that Philly fans are dumb as fuck, it also validates that they are just sorry human beings.

For being fans of a organization that hasn’t won anything of significance, they sure act like they have.
No doubt about it. And hopefully they never will.

Hmm, they are picking 13th. They could use a DE or a CB. After the first two CB's are off the board, there is a dropff. If Janoris Jenkins from Florida hs a good combine, then he could end up being there at #13. DE J.J. Watt from Wiconsin might be a possibility but he might go a couple of spots ahead of #13. Aldon Smith from Missouri would make sense as well.

If Blaine Gabbert gets taken in the top 10, I will eat my shoe. If he goes #7 to San Francisco, I will kill myself.
I don't think the DE spot is needed as much as the secondary or another top LB. With Vanden Bosch the beast and Avril coming along, we don't need to waste a first pick on that role. Although there are some great DE's out there...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No doubt about it. And hopefully they never will.

I don't think the DE spot is needed as much as the secondary or another top LB. With Vanden Bosch the beast and Avril coming along, we don't need to waste a first pick on that role. Although there are some great DE's out there...
The thing about Vanden Bosch is that he will be 33 next year, and he's missed 12 games the past 3 seasons. I think that he will be a situational pass rusher next year, but they will probably want to have a 3 down DE to put next to Suh for the next 7 years.

Aldon smith is tall (6'5"), and could put on another 20-25 lbs and not lose any quickness or explosiveness.

Unless they trade up to #7 or #8, I don't think that they will have a shot at Prince Amukamara.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I think you misunderstand me. I think Atlanta will win, but they would surely rather face Seattle than Green Bay. Nobody really wants to play Green Bay in the playoffs. We be BADASS.
Ahh, I see good sir. GB has got a solid team, Rodgers is making everybody on that offense better. It wouldn't surprise me if they stole one.

He is the best quarterback of our generation, and I don't even know if that can be disputed anymore at this point.
There's no doubt. Plus when you factor in Giselle...

That's Mylanta.

He's like a Cal Ripken, Jr. who broadcasts mobile photos of his schlong.
I'll have to take some Mylanta if I watch that Pack/Falcons game. Knowing that we missed Aaron Rodgers still does that to me.

I love the Ripken line.

Hmm, they are picking 13th. They could use a DE or a CB. After the first two CB's are off the board, there is a dropff.

If Blaine Gabbert gets taken in the top 10, I will eat my shoe. If he goes #7 to San Francisco, I will kill myself.
No QB's at 7. I think I want us to draft one of those CB's... and sign Nnamdi...

Looks like Houston have similar needs to the 9 - other than QB.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The thing about Vanden Bosch is that he will be 33 next year, and he's missed 12 games the past 3 seasons. I think that he will be a situational pass rusher next year, but they will probably want to have a 3 down DE to put next to Suh for the next 7 years.

Aldon smith is tall (6'5"), and could put on another 20-25 lbs and not lose any quickness or explosiveness.

Unless they trade up to #7 or #8, I don't think that they will have a shot at Prince Amukamara.
I think Mayhew might if he has the same ideas as I do. If we can get a solid CB in there, we should have a pretty damn good defense.

What about the LB role? Anybody in free agency we could pick up?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Rollie, you can't use that Mantra "Oh, if the Niners had drafted Rodgers instead of Smith, things would be different". They COULD be different, but absolutely no guarantee that they would be.

Rodgers wasn't a starter until his 4th season in the league. Smith was thrown to the wolves in the 5th game of the season. Rodgers didn't go through 6 coordinators in 6 years, either.

Smith was the consnsus #1 pick with John Gruden himself saying that if he had slipped to #5 in the draft, he wasn't going past Tampa Bay at that point.

I'm not making excuses for Smith. He has had his chances, but to say that Rodgers would have been the better selection is pure 20/20 hindsight at this point. remember, 22 other teams passed on him in the first round as well. Who knows, maybe if Alex Smith had a star quarterback and a stable offensive system and philosophy during his first 4 years in San Francisco, things would have been different.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think Mayhew might if he has the same ideas as I do. If we can get a solid CB in there, we should have a pretty damn good defense.

What about the LB role? Anybody in free agency we could pick up?
Lamarr Woodley and David harris, but there is now way that Pittsburgh and the Jets are letting them walk.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Rollie, you can't use that Mantra "Oh, if the Niners had drafted Rodgers instead of Smith, things would be different". They COULD be different, but absolutely no guarantee that they would be.

Rodgers wasn't a starter until his 4th season in the league. Smith was thrown to the wolves in the 5th game of the season. Rodgers didn't go through 6 coordinators in 6 years, either.

Smith was the consnsus #1 pick with John Gruden himself saying that if he had slipped to #5 in the draft, he wasn't going past Tampa Bay at that point.

I'm not making excuses for Smith. He has had his chances, but to say that Rodgers would have been the better selection is pure 20/20 hindsight at this point. remember, 22 other teams passed on him in the first round as well. Who knows, maybe if Alex Smith had a star quarterback and a stable offensive system and philosophy during his first 4 years in San Francisco, things would have been different.
That's true buddy, it's all woulda/coulda/shoulda. Aaron Rodgers would have gotten annihilated behind that line, just like Alex was. Rodgers does throw a better deep ball, and he is more accurate than Alex though. You're right, in the end, things could have been reversed... but when I mentally plug Rodgers into our offense, it's a scary unit...

How would you feel about bringing Alex back as a #2? Or do you think we sign a FA, and draft a QB?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wade Phillips arrival signals the doom of a franchise

jsut like his pappy Bum
i think phillips will do good in houston
Ah... Bum Phillips. Not a bad run in Houston when he rode Earl Campbell like a two-dollar whore until his knees shattered into a million pieces. But nobody came up with the obvious line, "Throw the Bum out!"

Bum was a cool character though.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
That's true buddy, it's all woulda/coulda/shoulda. Aaron Rodgers would have gotten annihilated behind that line, just like Alex was. Rodgers does throw a better deep ball, and he is more accurate than Alex though. You're right, in the end, things could have been reversed... but when I mentally plug Rodgers into our offense, it's a scary unit...

How would you feel about bringing Alex back as a #2? Or do you think we sign a FA, and draft a QB?
The further Alex Smith is away from San Fran, the better I'll feel. He's damaged goods with that franchise. He needs a fresh start. Don't be stunned if he ends up in Arizona.

I think the Niners will dangle a 3rd round pick to denver to get Kyle Orton, to tell you the truth.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
The further Alex Smith is away from San Fran, the better I'll feel. He's damaged goods with that franchise. He needs a fresh start. Don't be stunned if he ends up in Arizona.

I think the Niners will dangle a 3rd round pick to denver to get Kyle Orton, to tell you the truth.
I think the further away from SF, the better Alex will feel. No way in hell he comes back... but I don't want to see him in the division. In the back of my mind there's always this little voice that wonders if Harbaugh could right the wrongs. So very many wrongs.

Anyway, we're well overdue, and it's time to move on.

I guess we'll have to see what direction Denver goes in, as far as a coach. I remember reading that Elway was looking for someone to get behind Tebow, so Orton will probably be available. He cost me my fantasy season, but he wouldn't be a terrible option. Not sure what happened towards the end of the season - other then the coaching upheaval etc., but the guy fell right off, after a pretty solid 11-12 games or so. Probably some minor injury, or something.

Looks like we don't have much choice but to sign one and draft one.

The Philly situation will be interesting to watch as well. I'm kind of feeling like we'll go Kolb or Orton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)