American NFL Football (15 Viewers)

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
At 0-16 the Lions are being called "the worst team in NFL history". Trust me, they are not. I had the pleasure of seeing the 0-14 Buccaneers of 1976 vintage and those fuckers were a joke.

The Lions would at least hang around in some of the games, even leading in the Second Half, at times. Not so for the Bucs. When you saw the Bucs on the schedule you could really take the week off from practice. There was no way anyone was going to lose to that team.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
they are most certainly not the worst team in NFL history, despite their record. The 2004 49ers, for instance, were a lot worse

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
At 0-16 the Lions are being called "the worst team in NFL history". Trust me, they are not. I had the pleasure of seeing the 0-14 Buccaneers of 1976 vintage and those fuckers were a joke.

The Lions would at least hang around in some of the games, even leading in the Second Half, at times. Not so for the Bucs. When you saw the Bucs on the schedule you could really take the week off from practice. There was no way anyone was going to lose to that team.
John McKay's "execution" quote was appropriate and sublime NFL history.

I mean, you just gotta look at the stats:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/toomay/011227.html

It was like last season's Tom Brady in reverse.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
- the jets are dumb for hiring mangini and bringing in favre

- the lions from top to bottom are a horrid organization. for the past 10 years they have shown no desire to win or improve in any capacity. the comparison to the '76 bucs is irrelevant since the bucs were an expansion team whilst this lions team is one of the oldest franchises in the league with a bevy of 1st round draft picks (ahem.. primarily wide receivers)

- the bears are a QB and a big target away from a championship IMO. as much as ppl hate smith they don't seem to appreciate what he's done for them with so little.

- fuck the cowboys and all their brokeback fans

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
actually dru, the bears are one defense away from a championship a defense that we had but Lovie the idiot destroyed by firing rivera. Lovie has been an enabler to both his staff and the players lowering discipline and performance expectations; he needs to go.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
ok it's the same defense, with rivera it was the best D in the NFL with babich(lovie's butt buddy) it's been ranked 20 some for the last 2 years
he's not head coach material hes a had a fluke of a year; this year he duly demonstrated how amateurish his headcoaching is(Atlanta, Vikes) this team has no passion and lacks any kind of strong leadership; lovie might be a good position coach but as head coach he s just waaaay over his haead.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
- the lions from top to bottom are a horrid organization. for the past 10 years they have shown no desire to win or improve in any capacity. the comparison to the '76 bucs is irrelevant since the bucs were an expansion team whilst this lions team is one of the oldest franchises in the league with a bevy of 1st round draft picks (ahem.. primarily wide receivers)
I agree with this assessment. The Bucs may have had a horrid couple of seasons. But the amount of consecutive seasons wallowing in filth as the Lions have takes a special kind of awful.

As terrible as the Bucs were in '76, and only slightly better in '77, let's not forget they were in the NFC Championship by '79.

For the Lions playoff prospects in the past and future, the 1991 NFC Championship seems like the age when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Good point about the Bucs making the NFC championship in 1979. It reminds me of how I was laughing at the Bucs (Green Bay was so bad, I had to laugh when I could) in 1976 and my father said, "The Bucs will be in the Super Bowl in 5 years."
He almost called it. Now, does anybody think the Lions will be in the Super Bowl in 5 years? Ha ha

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Probably the right move, IMO. Shanahan has had his day. And the Broncos have shown more progress backwards than forwards in some ways -- they haven't been to the AFC Championship in 10 years. 10 years. Time for some new blood unless they want to continue languishing in the middle of the pack.

Probably a good move for Shanahan too -- he should get quick employment elsewhere and may actually advance where he couldn't with Denver in the past decade.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
you only fire a guy when you have someone as good or better to replace him, the broncos to suck for years to come
I disagree. If your goal is at least to get into a Super Bowl (let alone win a Super Bowl), 10 years is a long time and a lot of money to waste to get one.

Not saying that Shanahan is the fall guy here and it's all his fault. Coaches always get too much blame or credit. But obviously some kind of chemistry isn't working in the team and the front office dynamic. Waiting out another 10 years for a second playoff win just isn't an option.

Sometimes changes are necessary, and one of the easiest places to start is the coach and hoping someone will rise to the occasion. Nobody in their right minds would have suggested Tony Sparano nor Mike Smith would be the kind of coaching talent that a team would want to swap for -- given the teams who did were operating from deep in a hole. But sometimes good coaches are developed, not just acquired. Waiting for deliverance from a coach who has proven himself elsewhere often isn't a viable option.

Bottom line: Denver's aspirations are too high to find going 10 seasons with only one playoff win to be acceptable.

OP
Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #440
    Shanahan going was surprising, but understandable, didn't seem like they were going anywhere. The Broncos have Cutler and not that much else, they have the time to rebuild around him and with a new coach. Will be very interesting seeing who takes that job. I think Spagnolo will get a job somewhere this off season, seems like the top candidate this year.

I think the Cowboys really needs to fire Wade Phillips, what a hapless guy he is. Jason Garrett probably needs to go too, but I don't think it's likely.

Does anybody think that the winner this year will be someone else than the Steelers, the Giants or the Colts? I certainly don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)