American NFL Football (21 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@acmilan what did you think of welker's performance(and drops)
well, let me put it this way - didn't like it :D. It is worrying seeing him make a few drops in key moments over the past couple of years but I still hop to see him back as he's a key part of the short-pass part of the Pats offense.
Last night, he obviously wasn't at his best but he wasn't the problem imo as the team as whole just didn't seem to have the right approach and mentality to the game - they weren't physical enough and the playcalls on O in general just plain sucked beingeasy to predict and way too conservative ... as if the coaches were more worried about losing the game than actually winning it.

Welker specifically suffered from being at the focal point of the Pats attack - conservative play-calls put too much pressure and focus on him, while leaving other players like Vareen and Woodhead underutilized - and that made him a target for the raven's safeties, which paid dividends for them over the course of the game (that key drop on 3 and 7, for example, was a direct consequence of Welker taking a big hit just a couple of plays earlier). That's what was my biggest worry about Gronk;s season ending vs the Texans - that the Pats would have to play one or two very tough and physical Ds (Ravens and possibly the 49ers) with Welker being easily singled out as "the threat" in those game, which would have naturally diminished his productivity.
Add to that his having to return punts too (due to injuries to other players) and I wasn't surprised at all to see him slow down (obviously gassed) towards the 2nf half of the 4th qrt.

All in all, I hope to see the Pats get a dominant, physical deep-threat WR next year but still hope to see Wes come back. Realistically, however, I am fully prepped to not see him return with the team next year as doubt the Pats would franchise him again (if they do, it would cost them 11+ mil). It's just not their way to give long-term, big-money contracts to ageing players (he will be 32 yo next season). So, I see him test free agency, see if he can get anything better than what the Pats would offer (likely nothing longer than 3 years with 7-8 mil or so/year) and take it from there. My money is on him not coming back, so long live Danny Amendola :D

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
:matri:

P.S. I don't know what your cap space is or any major FA you may have besides Melton, but I would first fix the OL and improve depth on D (like pass rushers and LBs) before going for an expensive yet ageing FA like Wes. He sure is the best slot receiver out there but I am not sure how much of a future-proof choice he is. I think you can still get a very good slot receiver for much cheaper in Amendola or even Edelman (another Patriots player who is a FA this spring) or from the draft (Tavon Austin comes to mind and he can play from the backfield and return too).

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I'd say you need both a TE and a slot receiver. Just think you'd need to balance the team out as am not sure how reliable the D will be next year let alone the year after. Not to mention the emergency situation with the O-line. I just don't think you need to go with an expensive player like Wes to get great productivity from the slot. A player like Amendola would be an excellent acquisition - actually, I am hoping the Pats get him should they let Wes go - and he won't compromise shoring up the rest of the team.

Welker is the best in that position but there is no telling when he would hit a wall and start missing games due to injuries. those hits he's been taking for years now will show up sooner or later. He's already showing signs of slowing down towards the end of a game and especially late into the season.

Don't get me wrong, signing Welker would improve the Bears O big time (provided the coaches have the right schemes for him, that is) but I suspect you may have the opportunity to build a better TEAM with someone like Amendola in the slot as his signing won't eat up nearly as much cap space.

Obviously the above won't count for much if the Bears have a ton of cap space for next year but somehow I doubt that's the case.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The Colts are almost 50 million under the cap for the coming season. It almost makes perfect sense that they could be Welker's next team if he doesn't sign with New England.

- - - Updated - - -

well, let me put it this way - didn't like it :D. It is worrying seeing him make a few drops in key moments over the past couple of years but I still hop to see him back as he's a key part of the short-pass part of the Pats offense.
Last night, he obviously wasn't at his best but he wasn't the problem imo as the team as whole just didn't seem to have the right approach and mentality to the game - they weren't physical enough and the playcalls on O in general just plain sucked beingeasy to predict and way too conservative ... as if the coaches were more worried about losing the game than actually winning it.

Welker specifically suffered from being at the focal point of the Pats attack - conservative play-calls put too much pressure and focus on him, while leaving other players like Vareen and Woodhead underutilized - and that made him a target for the raven's safeties, which paid dividends for them over the course of the game (that key drop on 3 and 7, for example, was a direct consequence of Welker taking a big hit just a couple of plays earlier). That's what was my biggest worry about Gronk;s season ending vs the Texans - that the Pats would have to play one or two very tough and physical Ds (Ravens and possibly the 49ers) with Welker being easily singled out as "the threat" in those game, which would have naturally diminished his productivity.
Add to that his having to return punts too (due to injuries to other players) and I wasn't surprised at all to see him slow down (obviously gassed) towards the 2nf half of the 4th qrt.

All in all, I hope to see the Pats get a dominant, physical deep-threat WR next year but still hope to see Wes come back. Realistically, however, I am fully prepped to not see him return with the team next year as doubt the Pats would franchise him again (if they do, it would cost them 11+ mil). It's just not their way to give long-term, big-money contracts to ageing players (he will be 32 yo next season). So, I see him test free agency, see if he can get anything better than what the Pats would offer (likely nothing longer than 3 years with 7-8 mil or so/year) and take it from there. My money is on him not coming back, so long live Danny Amendola :D
DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson in the first round, perhaps?

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
The Colts are almost 50 million under the cap for the coming season. It almost makes perfect sense that they could be Welker's next team if he doesn't sign with New England.

DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson in the first round, perhaps?
Yep, Colts would definitely be an option, especially cap-wise. And Welker would be of great help for a developing QB like Luck. Something tells me the mile-high donkeys would love to have Wes too even if I am not sure about their FA and cap situation. He won't be suffering from lack of interest, that's for sure.

Hopkins is one WR I do like but there is no freaking way the Pats spend a 1st rounder on a WR unless they lose Welker and can't get another slot receiver from FA (Amendola, most notably). Only then can I see them going for a WR and that would be a slot type of guy (Austin or Bailey fit that profile more than Hopkins imo).
This being said, it seems the Pats just signed Armond Armstead from the CFL, so I see them trade the 1st rounder down for additional picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in some sort of a package deal or whatever and look for a WR deeper in the draft (late 2nd round and further). Quinton patton and Aaron Dobson are a couple of guys who I find really interesting but will see how it pans out.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yep, Colts would definitely be an option, especially cap-wise. And Welker would be of great help for a developing QB like Luck. Something tells me the mile-high donkeys would love to have Wes too even if I am not sure about their FA and cap situation. He won't be suffering from lack of interest, that's for sure.

Hopkins is one WR I do like but there is no freaking way the Pats spend a 1st rounder on a WR unless they lose Welker and can't get another slot receiver from FA (Amendola, most notably). Only then can I see them going for a WR and that would be a slot type of guy (Austin or Bailey fit that profile more than Hopkins imo).
This being said, it seems the Pats just signed Armond Armstead from the CFL, so I see them trade the 1st rounder down for additional picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in some sort of a package deal or whatever and look for a WR deeper in the draft (late 2nd round and further). Quinton patton and Aaron Dobson are a couple of guys who I find really interesting but will see how it pans out.
Dobson went to my high school. He's not particularly fast but he can jump. Guy was POY in basketball his Junior and Senior year.

I think Terrance Williams will be a steal in the 2nd round. He's not going to run a great for, but he's huge and breaks away like a champ.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Interesting. No wonder he has such great hands - guy has produced some real highlights worthy catches but playing for a smaller program has kept his profile relatively low. He indeed may not be the fastest WR out there in terms of top speed (probably the main reason why he won't be a 1st rounder) but is a physical one that goes for the ball and has good acceleration, which allows him to get decent separation.

T. Williams is similar to Hopkins, imo, in the sense that he would very likely be off the board by the time I think the pats would feel it's time to go for a WR. Same goes for C. Patterson, Allen, Austin, Woods. T. Williams is more on the 'lower' end of this group meaning I can see him drop to halfway thru the 2nd round and maybe a bit further down but still expect would be out of the Pats' reach late in the 2nd. So, I am looking mostly at guys like Patton, Rogers, Dobson and even Swope and C. Vernon as possible targets for the Pats at WR ... you know, mostly guys who have been keeping a lower profile, at least for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)