American NFL Football (23 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
well Clemons seems to have suffered a torn ACL and other damage to the knee, according to the latest on espn. That puts him out of the p-offs and will likely force him to miss a good part, if not all, of next year too.

RG3 reportedly has partial tears on the ACL and LCL, and depending on the extent of those tears, the Skins could well end up playing next year without him. Shanahan :sergio:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Greg, regardless of who the player is, and let it be known that if I could possibly care any less about the Redskins I would be delcared clinically brain dead.

It's just the whole premise of risking a player's career like that when he is obviously injured. Whether you like the player or not, this was a brainless move by the caoching staff to keep him in there like that.
Cutler. :heart:

Am I right, Abel, or am I right? :D

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
the new coach they hired? you don't think he would be a good fit or just not good enough in general?

- - - Updated - - -

you wouldnt say that if he coached your team
you could well be saying the same in just several months from now :D

any "imsider" info on whether they've focused on someone in particular? Their search for new coach seems a bit chaotic to me - interviewing pretty much anyone out there and the names brought up don't instill any confidence. More and more I am starting to think people would look back on Lovies time there with nostalgia.

Still don't understand why they don't go with proven coaches - quite a few SB winners lazing around these days on TV. And the Bears are probably the most attractive coaching position in the NFL right now. Could it be that the Bears' front office wants too much control and that's why they are going after little known coaches as someone like Dungy/Cowher/Chucky is unlikely to agree to being a puppet?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
the new coach they hired? you don't think he would be a good fit or just not good enough in general?

- - - Updated - - -

any "imsider" info on whether they've focused on someone in particular? Their search for new coach seems a bit chaotic to me - interviewing pretty much anyone out there and the names brought up don't instill any confidence. More and more I am starting to think people would look back on Lovies time there with nostalgia.

Still don't understand why they don't go with proven coaches - quite a few SB winners lazing around these days on TV. And the Bears are probably the most attractive coaching position in the NFL right now. Could it be that the Bears' front office wants too much control and that's why they are going after little known coaches as someone like Dungy/Cowher/Chucky is unlikely to agree to being a puppet?

I think that if you are going to hire a college coach, at least hire one with a proven winning record at a major program. I think this has as much to do with the familiarity of the Upstate New York area more than anything else.

As far as the Bears go, I think they are looking to get a truly offensive minded coach who can help Cutler out. Which will probably rule out Cowher and Dungy. They might end up dipping into the college waters as well. I truly don't see a major market team such as Chicago going for another team's offensive coordinator to be their coach.

Now, as far as college coaches go with an offensive based mindset, I have one in mind, but I don't think he would leave after 1 year.

Urban Meyer

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
you wouldnt say that if he coached your team
You're right :depressed:

I think that if you are going to hire a college coach, at least hire one with a proven winning record at a major program. I think this has as much to do with the familiarity of the Upstate New York area more than anything else.

As far as the Bears go, I think they are looking to get a truly offensive minded coach who can help Cutler out. Which will probably rule out Cowher and Dungy. They might end up dipping into the college waters as well. I truly don't see a major market team such as Chicago going for another team's offensive coordinator to be their coach.

Now, as far as college coaches go with an offensive based mindset, I have one in mind, but I don't think he would leave after 1 year.

Urban Meyer
I believe Doug Maronne went 25-25 during his short time at Syracuse

The Bills are football purgatory so let him suffer there

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005

Urban Meyer
I get the idea of hiring an offensive mind - likely would come down to an OC, imo - to help Cutler develop but they could that by hiring the right OC to replace Tice or QB coach. Just don't agree that one has to "gamble" with the HC position as even a great offensive mind may well be an average HC. The HC position has much more to do with being a good organizer, strategist, leader, etc ... it's about being able to put a team together (not just players but coaching personnel too) and make it work not just come up with a fancier play-book for the QB, which is what the right OC and QB coach should be able to do anyway.

That's why I think the Bears are playing with fire by looking at some pretty obscure and unproven names, most if not all of them current or former OCs, while forgoing top-drawer coaches, who I can imagine would be attracted by the opportunity to go back to NFL with the Bears ... I mean it's not like a more attractive coaching position is likely to open up somewhere else anytime soon. All in all, hiring a defensive mind like say Cowher doesn't have to be at odds with Cutler's development as he's shown he has the know-how of putting a team together, including hiring a proper OC as part of the system.

But yeah, I agree with Meyer being a good fit ... not because he is an offensive mind, though, but because he's proven to be a great HC, at least at the college level. Same goes for Saban, imo, who quite a few seem to doubt can repeat his college-level success in the NFL given his unsuccessful stint at Miami but then again, Belichick didn't exactly set the wolrd on fire with the Browns either - smart people do learn and make adjustments, after all.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

because they are cheap, bears never go for established coaches, and trust me theres no way id miss lovie as a head coach he was completely useless

Urban Meyer
i think they were waiting on a few asst coaches to finish playoffs: denver and indy

Jul 10, 2006

Urban Meyer
Urban Meyer wouldn't cut it in the NFL. He's a great college coach, but he has never had any job at the professional level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)