Alvaro Morata (14 Viewers)

want him back again for cheap?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
People calling out United for overpaying for Pogba when we paid 90m for Pigglet.

:disagree:
How many top strikers were available for 90mln? How many top CMs were available for 105mln? Higuain was the best player of a team that reached CL final. Pogba couldn't take United to Top4 in BPL.

Please don't mention resale value. It seems more likely that Pipita will be scoring 30+ goals per season till the end of his contract than Pogba fulfilling his Golden Ball ambitions.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
How many top strikers were available for 90mln? How many top CMs were available for 105mln? Higuain was the best player of a team that reached CL final. Pogba couldn't take United to Top4 in BPL.

Please don't mention resale value. It seems more likely that Pipita will be scoring 30+ goals per season till the end of his contract than Pogba fulfilling his Golden Ball ambitions.
The second part of your post is pure speculation. Pogba has an entire career ahead of him to prove his worth.

And hey, I didn't intend to compare said transfers. Just wanted to point out that we also overpaid for Higuain and by a fucking lot.

Also, I don't give a shit if Higuain scores 100 goals in Serie A.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
The second part of your post is pure speculation. Pogba has an entire career ahead of him to prove his worth.

And hey, I didn't intend to compare said transfers. Just wanted to point out that we also overpaid for Higuain and by a $#@!ing lot.

Also, I don't give a $#@! if Higuain scores 100 goals in Serie A.
Why not? that counts too.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
So many people take Serie a for granted lol.

These same peole don't realize we went 5 years with it from 2007.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

It's not about taking Serie A for granted, it's about not burying sitters in the CL.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? that counts too.
Because scoring a lot in Serie A isn't enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love that Piggy has bailed us out quite often in Serie A but he's missed quite a few (easy) chances in CL.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

Also, next season teams seem to come back stronger than this year. Roma and Napoli are IMO one step away of seriously giving us a run for our money in serie A.

Milan seems to be having a positive aura around them, something that was missing in the last 5 years, and are now reinforcing themselves to take advantage of this moment of strenght (as little as it can be).

Both roma and Napoli played better attacking football than us, but since we have more depth and are better coached, we prevailed. If we low our guard next season, they can for sure test our might. They did this past season but both teams had poor runs of results that gave us a break.

I understand the Higuain trauma of not scoring... but i have seen him score unreal goals with us...unlike any other striker from us in the past 6 years. The guy has it.

Ill give my final judgement on him after we match or even improve our attacking flow in comparison to napoli and roma.

We do that and im pretty sure that Higuain wil turn into godlike mode both in serie A and CL.

But we need better offensive players/gameplan, i cant stress this enough.

In madrid he was treated as second fiddle... in Napoli he was their shinning light but the team was not as good. Here he has what is needed to finally show his best... but we need to improve too.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012

And hey, I didn't intend to compare said transfers. Just wanted to point out that we also overpaid for Higuain and by a $#@!ing lot.

Also, I don't give a $#@! if Higuain scores 100 goals in Serie A.
You did compare the prices so in fact you compared the transfers. I am sure that after paying so much for Pogba, United expected him to perform straight away. What if Pogba doesn't fulfill his potential during his contract with Utd? They may even fail to sell him for half the price they paid because no club would be billing to offer him such a salary resulting in losing him for free just to get rid of his fat salary.

Obviously it's just speculation but it might happen.

As for Higuain scoring in CL I don't remember him missing those easy chances. Maybe that header with Sevilla at Allianz Stadium. What I can remember though is Messi missing sitters against us or Cavani against Barcelona. The point being no striker has 100% conversion rate, even the elite ones.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
You did compare the prices so in fact you compared the transfers. I am sure that after paying so much for Pogba, United expected him to perform straight away. What if Pogba doesn't fulfill his potential during his contract with Utd? They may even fail to sell him for half the price they paid because no club would be billing to offer him such a salary resulting in losing him for free just to get rid of his fat salary.

Obviously it's just speculation but it might happen.

As for Higuain scoring in CL I don't remember him missing those easy chances. Maybe that header with Sevilla at Allianz Stadium. What I can remember though is Messi missing sitters against us or Cavani against Barcelona. The point being no striker has 100% conversion rate, even the elite ones.
I didn't even mention Pogba's fee :D

The whole point was that we also overpaid for Higgy.

United#7

May 30, 2017
A United fan sticking up for Woodward? Great. I guess the FM transfers will win enough over in time.

Fellaini £27.5m (RC), Mata £38m, Herrera £30m (RC), Di Maria £63.75m, Shaw £32m, Martial £51m +bonuses, Schneiderlin £29.75m, Depay £29m, Bailly £32m, Pogba £90m.
Like I said, context is important.

Fellaini £27.5m (RC), Herrera £30m (RC)
Why are you even including release clauses? Now I don't know about Italy, but everywhere else, you can't negotiate RCs unless the player runs his contract down and leaves on a free.

Mata £38m
2 time Chelsea player of the year, also a midseason transfer which is always paid at a premium

Di Maria £63.75m
Came off a world class season and World Cup, was/is in his prime

Shaw £32m
PL team of the year as a teenager

Martial £51m +bonuses, Depay £29m
One is France's future, very young, has a lot of time to prove that he's worth the cash. Another led his team to their domestic title.

Schneiderlin £29.75m
Only one we overpaid for.

Bailly £32m
Already one of La Liga's best defenders at 22 years old

Pogba £90m
We may have overpaid for him, but he's young and had plenty of time to prove himself. Has all the tools too, just needs to fix his mindset.

Love that he thinks they didn't overpay for Pogba :lol:
I literally said we did overpay for him, but he might still end up being worth the fee we paid for. Anyway, I'd rather spend 89m on 23 year old Pogba than 94m on a 28 year old choke artist. But that's just me :shifty:

You have an average net spend of 91 million euro over the last 5 seasons, and your team is weak as $#@! compared to european giants. Seriously, you cant even finish top4, behind pool, tottenham and arsenal.
You don't have to lecture me on net spend. Which big club, aside from Bayern, Dortmund, and you guys, actually manage to contend for silverware on a low net spend? That's simply not the norm these days.

Quite frankly, we were overdue a refresh on the squad as Fergie spent fuck all on an already aging squad after 2011. I myself admit that we're still quite a long way from RM, Atletico and Juves of the world. I never said we didn't spend big. We just flush out the cash when it's needed. I'm saying that the notion of 'United overspending to get their man' is a self repeating meme on the internet at this point.

The only players we really overpaid for are Schneiderlin and (once confirmed) Morata. I'd add Pogba cos y'all really hate him. That's 3 players since Woodward took over. Again, criticize the man for being a shit seller and giving high wages to squad players. As a buyer, he's done well.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Why are you even including release clauses? Now I don't know about Italy, but everywhere else, you can't negotiate RCs unless the player runs his contract down and leaves on a free.

Mata £38m
2 time Chelsea player of the year, also a midseason transfer which is always paid at a premium

Di Maria £63.75m

Shaw £32m

One is France's future, very young, has a lot of time to prove that he's worth the cash. Another led his team to their domestic title.

Schneiderlin £29.75m

Bailly £32m

Pogba £90m
We may have overpaid for him, but he's young and had plenty of time to prove himself. Has all the tools too, just needs to fix his mindset.

I literally said we did overpay for him, but he might still end up being worth the fee we paid for. Anyway, I'd rather spend 89m on 23 year old Pogba than 94m on a 28 year old choke artist. But that's just me :shifty:

You don't have to lecture me on net spend. Which big club, aside from Bayern, Dortmund, and you guys, actually manage to contend for silverware on a low net spend? That's simply not the norm these days.

Quite frankly, we were overdue a refresh on the squad as Fergie spent fuck all on an already aging squad after 2011. I myself admit that we're still quite a long way from RM, Atletico and Juves of the world. I never said we didn't spend big. We just flush out the cash when it's needed. I'm saying that the notion of 'United overspending to get their man' is a self repeating meme on the internet at this point.

The only players we really overpaid for are Schneiderlin and (once confirmed) Morata. I'd add Pogba cos y'all really hate him. That's 3 players since Woodward took over. Again, criticize the man for being a shit seller and giving high wages to squad players. As a buyer, he's done well.
Your management has continiously made the wrong decisions, and are the example of english teams beeing absolutely crap at this.

There has been such an incredible need to rebuild the center area, but first you guys spend billions of dollars on america,(only left and right wing, no center), and than wonder why its not working on its own.

United used to be build on absolutely insane central players and you could put any fucker on the wings and he'd play twice as good how he is.

The idiocy and delusion is grand.Scholes came back and united worked. What did they learn/think ? 'Oh lad/mate/brah this peasant Carrick is great'.

lol.

160 million. 0 leadership and support in the midfield. And what do you het ? 2 players who are garbage without leadership and support.

But dont worry. 95% of this forum would be absolutely going wild over your mercato's. Buying flair and fancy shit and not what is needed.

United#7

May 30, 2017
Your management has continiously made the wrong decisions, and are the example of english teams beeing absolutely crap at this.

There has been such an incredible need to rebuild the center area, but first you guys spend billions of dollars on america,(only left and right wing, no center), and than wonder why its not working on its own.

United used to be build on absolutely insane central players and you could put any $#@!er on the wings and he'd play twice as good how he is.

The idiocy and delusion is grand.Scholes came back and united worked. What did they learn/think ? 'Oh lad/mate/brah this peasant Carrick is great'.

lol.

160 million. 0 leadership and support in the midfield. And what do you het ? 2 players who are garbage without leadership and support.

But dont worry. 95% of this forum would be absolutely going wild over your mercato's. Buying flair and fancy $#@! and not what is needed.

About the bolded, we only had a truly great midfield in the 94 Double team (Keane, Ince, Robson subbing in). Even the 99-01 teams often got exposed in the middle in Europe (hence why Fergie went after Veron). What we did have, contrary to your post, were great wingers. Giggs and Becks obviously, but also Kankan and Blomqvist - together with the the full backs - they peppered the opposing box with quality balls. So unless you're talking about United in the 80s and back, then I won't pretend to know.

Anyway, I will be the first to admit that we were abysmal in the transfer market from the Ronaldo sale to about 2015. The thing is, with Sir Alex you take the bad with the good - and we had a lot of good. Still, this is the man who bought Van Persie at a near record fee after just one injury free season, all the while starting Fabio and Park at CM in the game where Pogba decided to leave.

Another problem is: unlike other big clubs, United is still unique in the sense that the manager's word is first and final when it comes to transfers. No transfer committee or board to interfere or tell him to target a midfielder instead of a 7th choice English CB. Thus if SAF didn't think it was necessary to upgrade at CM, then we didn't. Who could blame the man though? He won the league with Cleverley starting at CM. He got results.

Why shouldn't we have gone for Pogba though? If a player of his caliber is available and more importantly, willing to come, you should buy him. Could he be more of a leader? Yes, of course. But just because he isn't the full package yet, doesn't mean we should've looked elsewhere. Besides, he's 24 and has plenty of room to grow. He may well fail to reach his potential, but it would've been shameful if we didn't even try to get him. More importantly, who was available last year that is better than him? No one. Not Verratti, not Modric, not Thiago.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Mata £38m

Di Maria £63.75m

Shaw £32m

Schneiderlin £29.75m

Bailly £32m

Pogba £90m

:howler: you justify price tag with results not pre purchase potential

Jun 6, 2015

Mata £38m

Di Maria £63.75m

Shaw £32m

Schneiderlin £29.75m

Bailly £32m

Pogba £90m

I find it hard to find a single player on that list that you didn't overpay for. Herrera and Bailly probably the closest ones.

Also your reasoning for most prices are so way off that they make absolutely no sense.

First of all yes you can negotiate on a price even when the player has a release clause. Infact Juve is doing just that at the moment in the N'Zonzi negotiations. Release clause means you don't have to negotiate with the selling club at all.

Mata didn't come to ManU straight from his player of the season years infact he was a bench player for Chelsea (under Mou) and they happily got rid as they had no more use for him.

Di Maria never wanted to come to United as he prefered PSG as a destination. United got him because PSG wasn't willing to pay as much as United did (that should tell you something).

Shaw was a teenager who had one good season under his belt. Huge risk in signing such players but atleast there's the fact that he's English which in part explains the pricing.

Martial isn't France's future. Both him and Depay were very risky signigns that you overpaid for at the time. Martial might still turn out good but he was nowhere worth what you paid for him at the time nor is he now.

The price paid for Morgan "better than Vidal" Schneiderlin is just ridiculous.

While you overpaid for Pogba too he atleast is hugely talented and can be a key player for you for years.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
About the bolded, we only had a truly great midfield in the 94 Double team (Keane, Ince, Robson subbing in). Even the 99-01 teams often got exposed in the middle in Europe (hence why Fergie went after Veron). What we did have, contrary to your post, were great wingers. Giggs and Becks obviously, but also Kankan and Blomqvist - together with the the full backs - they peppered the opposing box with quality balls. So unless you're talking about United in the 80s and back, then I won't pretend to know.

Anyway, I will be the first to admit that we were abysmal in the transfer market from the Ronaldo sale to about 2015. The thing is, with Sir Alex you take the bad with the good - and we had a lot of good. Still, this is the man who bought Van Persie at a near record fee after just one injury free season, all the while starting Fabio and Park at CM in the game where Pogba decided to leave.

Another problem is: unlike other big clubs, United is still unique in the sense that the manager's word is first and final when it comes to transfers. No transfer committee or board to interfere or tell him to target a midfielder instead of a 7th choice English CB. Thus if SAF didn't think it was necessary to upgrade at CM, then we didn't. Who could blame the man though? He won the league with Cleverley starting at CM. He got results.

Why shouldn't we have gone for Pogba though? If a player of his caliber is available and more importantly, willing to come, you should buy him. Could he be more of a leader? Yes, of course. But just because he isn't the full package yet, doesn't mean we should've looked elsewhere. Besides, he's 24 and has plenty of room to grow. He may well fail to reach his potential, but it would've been shameful if we didn't even try to get him. More importantly, who was available last year that is better than him? No one. Not Verratti, not Modric, not Thiago.
I cant believe someone claiming to be a United fan has a midfield discussion and didnt mention Paul Scholes even once.

Scholes. Ronaldo said he was the best teammate he ever had. Each United teammated said the same. Zidane said he was the best midfielder when everyone else thought he was.

Nope, you mention wingers.

See. This is what is wrong with you kids.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
@United#7 - you're not following what I am saying - Woodward cannot negotiate anything, he pays the maximum fee required to sign a player, or above it. You or I could do a similar job with United's funds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)