Alessandro Matri (96 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What I find odd is the attachment that people have to certain players who are lumped into this Quagliarella/Matri type of player, where they are average to slightly above average, are widely ridiculed by the general populace, then as time goes on those same people develop a fondness for them. To the point where the legacy of what they accomplished is outweighed by what actually happened.

Sometimes the memory is detached from the reality. And that's fine, because it happens all the time. Everyone has their favorites, and for those that really like Matri, I'm glad that they got their player back, but let's not get it twisted, and let's have a sense of realism injected into this. I think most of us can agree that Baggio was a legendary player in his day, but I still find myself susceptible to delusions of him being able to walk on water whenever he felt like it.

He's a 5th choice striker, who to me isn't even the type of forward that they need. In all honesty, although I'm not a big fan of his, but Zaza would have made more sense.
It's not just the fans. It's the clubs as well. Milan, Inter, Roma and Juventus all have a thing for third string strikers. Matri, Osvaldo, Pazzini, Gilardino (who is probably the best of the lot), ... All very average. Yet they play for the biggest clubs. I mean, Osvaldo has actually played for Juventus, Roma AND Inter. That's insane.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 29, 2006
On the face of it - not a bad deal for the club. Obviously we(fans) are disappointed, but I think it is a rather fortunate development with the bigger picture in mind.

We will end the season with as little obligations as possible and then we can consider whether to go for 4-3-3 type of an attack, 2 man with more defensive wingers(4-4-2ish), or we are going to be using attacking mid - two forwards(like NOW). And we can press with the optimization- Llorente on the market(2 years on contract?), Matri GONE, Tevez on his last year!

Finally there would be no excuses to get the forwards we actually WANT. Perhaps the management wouldn't be too happy about that? ;)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
What I find odd is the attachment that people have to certain players who are lumped into this Quagliarella/Matri type of player, where they are average to slightly above average, are widely ridiculed by the general populace, then as time goes on those same people develop a fondness for them. To the point where the legacy of what they accomplished is outweighed by what actually happened.

Sometimes the memory is detached from the reality. And that's fine, because it happens all the time. Everyone has their favorites, and for those that really like Matri, I'm glad that they got their player back, but let's not get it twisted, and let's have a sense of realism injected into this. I think most of us can agree that Baggio was a legendary player in his day, but I still find myself susceptible to delusions of him being able to walk on water whenever he felt like it.

He's a 5th choice striker, who to me isn't even the type of forward that they need. In all honesty, although I'm not a big fan of his, but Zaza would have made more sense.
I'm pretty sure 95% of those who glorify Matri, Quags, etc. do so ironically, and don't make themselves any illusions over their actual abilities. Also, there's a huge difference between liking a player due to his personality/antics/playstyle and rating a player's ability or skillset. I mean, I love Padoin or Pepe, but I don't think they should play any other role than those of substitutes. It's in a lot of cases similar with these kind of strikers.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
I'm pretty sure 95% of those who glorify Matri, Quags, etc. do so ironically, and don't make themselves any illusions over their actual abilities. Also, there's a huge difference between liking a player due to his personality/antics/playstyle and rating a player's ability or skillset. I mean, I love Padoin or Pepe, but I don't think they should play any other role than those of substitutes. It's in a lot of cases similar with these kind of strikers.
You love padoin or pepe yet you don't know shit about their personality. Just saying... :)

Quaglia18

May 8, 2012
I think he's been spectacular this season! His flair for the game is incredible.
Exactly, although he's not as prolific , I feel he's better this season than last, eliminated any doubt in my mind over whether he could dribble or be an efficient playmaker. So productive both in front of goal but also dropping back and out wide to play in his teammates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 93)