[Africa] 2010 World Cup qualifying thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Your underestimating Algeria. No way will Egypt beat this Algerian team by two goal difference.
or maybe you oversestimate Algeria, i saw their first game the first half was all egypt; furthermore the game will be played in one of africa's trickiest venues: cairo stadium. Egypt play like gladiators in front of their fans i expect a good game and egypt to get the result they need or at least close to it.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Egypt suck, and I am saying this as an Egyptian. I watched the game against Zambia, and had it not been for that moment of brilliance, it would have ended 0-0, and Zambia should and would've felt hard done by even one point. We were that bad!

However, I can see us triumphing in Cairo by 2 goals. We must score early, and end the 1st half 1-0 to be in with a chance. If Algeria score first, it's all over, and if we go in at HT on level terms, then Algeria will most certainly qualify. If we fail to score before the 60th minute, then we are definitely out.

It saddens me to say this, but Algeria have by far been the better and more consistent team during this qualification process; however, of all the North African teams, I dislike Algeria the most because they are a bunch of dirty provocative turds. The Tunisians come a close 2'nd. I like the Moroccans because they actually play good football, and never resort to dirty tactics, unlike their other North African cousins. Hence, seeing Algeria qualify would be a double blow, simply because it would be at the expense of Egypt, (and it will have to be them of all teams to get that qualifying spot) irrespective of whether they deserve it or not.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Allow me to rectify my earlier error. Egypt must win by 3 clear goals i.e. 3-0, 4-1, or 5-2. If we win by a margin of 1 goal, we are eliminated. A 2 goal margin would render both us and Algeria equal on points, goals scored, goal difference, etc...

Thus, a victory with a 2 goal margin would result in a coin toss, or a playoff (probably the latter) on neutral turf. The last time this happened to Egypt was in 1993, when Egypt had to play a one-off game against Zimbabwe (after the result of the first game was annulled due to crowd violence) to determine who would progress to the final qualifying round in the African section. We had managed to sneak by the Zimbabweans (led by the disgusting slime ball Grobellar) in the match that was later annulled, and in the replay we failed to score, thus compromising our chances of qualification, and handing/ceding the ticket to the final round, and the last spot, to Zimbabwe. I sincerely hope a playoff wouldn't be needed, but given the circumstances, I would opt for it right now, as I don't see us beating Algeria by 3 clear goals, and obviously it is the lesser of 2 evils (the other being elimination). I would also love to see us avenge our elimination at the hands of Algeria in an earlier qualification campaign (2002 qualifiers, when a draw against them cost us a place in the WC, and paved the way for Senegal to qualify).

Hence, we are in a precarious, albeit not impossible situation. Should we somehow manage to accomplish the highly improbable feat of defeating Algeria by 3 goals, we are in the World Cup for only the 3'rd time in our history.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
i think we should'nt over estimate algeria to be frank but in the same time as bianconero81 pointed out we were shit poor against zambia and honestly we got a little bit lucky. in egypts defence though the stadium at zambia was beyond rubbish!!!! still not a good display for a team which really should be trying harder to reach the world cup for the first time since 1990!!! ( hell i was 6!!!! back then)

as it was pointed out in a previous post cairo stadium is a tough place and for algeria it will be quite hard bec i can imagine how the stadium will look like. 3 goals are not impossible but i find it hard if egypt plays the way they played against zambia.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
or maybe you oversestimate Algeria, i saw their first game the first half was all egypt; furthermore the game will be played in one of africa's trickiest venues: cairo stadium. Egypt play like gladiators in front of their fans i expect a good game and egypt to get the result they need or at least close to it.
I've watched all 5 of Algeria's games in these qualifiers, i am not overestimating them. They are at least in my humble opinion the joint best Arab team right now along with Tunisia. This new generation of Algerian players is an extremely talented group, add to that the fact that they have quality depth too. In terms of individual players, they are the best Arab team right now and i believe are also among the top in Africa.

Another thing i want to point out is the strength of their defense. Their defense is really one of the strongest defensive units in Africa, they've only conceded 2 goals in 5 games, both goals have been conceded in games they have won with a 2 goal margin.

I personally give Egypt just a 10% chance to overcome this tough Algerian side.

ReMad

Feb 25, 2007

Algeria vs Rwanda

WCQ 2010 Gp.3 R5

Sunday 11 Oct 2009 , 18:15 GMT

Arabic Comm. - JSC Sport - FLV 1150 K - 320*240

Goals

First Goal for Rwanda by Mafisango 20
Click Here for Video

First Goal for Algeria by Ghazal 21
Click Here for Video

Second Goal for Algeria by Ghazal 48
Click Here for Video

Third Goal for Algria by Karim Ziani 98
Click Here for Video

Extras

Danger Shot by Al-Saifi off the Post 11
Click Here for Video

Danger Shot by AbdulQader Ghazal right to the Goal 40
Click Here for Video

A Goal for Algeria not counted by the Referee 41
Click Here for Video

A Fight Between both teams
Click Here for Video

Danger Shot for Algeria off the Bar 54
Click Here for Video

Wonderful Skill by Al-Saifi but a Miss ! 58
Click Here for Video

Nice Shot by Ghazal left to the Goal 65
Click Here for Video

Highlights

First Half Highlights : Algeria 2-1 Rwanda
Click Here for Video

Second Half Highlights : Algeria 3-1 Rwanda
Click Here for Video

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
I've watched all 5 of Algeria's games in these qualifiers, i am not overestimating them. They are at least in my humble opinion the joint best Arab team right now along with Tunisia. This new generation of Algerian players is an extremely talented group, add to that the fact that they have quality depth too. In terms of individual players, they are the best Arab team right now and i believe are also among the top in Africa.

Another thing i want to point out is the strength of their defense. Their defense is really one of the strongest defensive units in Africa, they've only conceded 2 goals in 5 games, both goals have been conceded in games they have won with a 2 goal margin.

I personally give Egypt just a 10% chance to overcome this tough Algerian side.
i dont know fred now u r just really under estimating egypt too!! yes we r not in our best at least not on the same level of the team that went on to win caf 2008. i think it will come down to who wants to go to the world cup the most.

i'm not taking anything from algeria but u cant deny they were lucky at alot of times too, its not just the quality of the team.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I think this generation of Egyptian players is done. Ahmed Hassan, Wael Juma, Hani Saeed are all done. Trika is still a magician, but his body isn't helping him anymore, and you could feel that he doesn't have the energy to carry this Egyptian team on his shoulders right now. Then you have players who've been completely off form for a long time like Amr Zaki and Emad Met'eb.

The new generation does not look too promising either. Also like i said before, Algeria's defense is rock solid. A tough nut to crack, they have one of the strongest defenses in Africa. A tough nut to crack, i just can't imagine this Egyptian team winning by a two goal margin.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
so finally D-DAY is upon us now :D :D :D the build up to this game is just epic!! off course every set of fans are dissing up things at one another which is just adding to the rivalry between the two teams ( actually makes this a great one yet a very explosive fixture) i think it is hard on both teams, but i have complete faith egypt will do it. any way at the end this is a football game and i just hope it ends as a footie match.

shame i wont be at the stadium for this one as i could'nt get my hands on the tickets :(

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
A lot of people hate the away-goals rule, but this is a perfect example of why the away-goal is needed.

The away-goal is the worst tiebreaker to use except for all the others.

Hope to see a nice game.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
I'm going to the stadium...Hope i come back home safely
yeah my parents begged me not to go forward with looking for a ticket although i think nothing serious will happen so hopefully u should be alright. off course i do regret going with there wish and missing out on this game live.:sergio:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I can't be @ the stadium, even if I wanted to, seeing as I'm currently in the comfort of my living room in my apartment in down town Bangkok.

I will be watching the game in the "Arab Town" on a big screen tv with my friends from the US, Japan, Denmark, and Switzerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)