Ángel Di María (20 Viewers)

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Don't renew.
Do the smart thing, just for once.
Why not? It makes sense financially. 1 season at 6m net costs the club 11m gross, 2 seasons at 6m costs the club 15m gross due to tax relief. And he obviously can still play a significant role in a position we dont have many alternatives.

The man just played a great WC final.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Don't renew.
Do the smart thing, just for once.
it's one year and he's our only attacker who had at least 5 genuinely good matches this season. the 2nd season also qualifies him for the tax relief

if it was for an other 3 seasons i'd say screw it, but for one additional season? any better players in sight?

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
He is collecting the ball deep inside his own half most of the time and expected to run the length of the pitch like he is Douglas Costa.

If we actually played some attacking football, got him the ball in the final third with an attacking full back that is actually a threat to ensure he isn’t doubled all game his output would be far greater.
Sadly if we keep him, we know he will probably still be playing with a 36 year old Cuadrado and MDS because we don’t invest in full backs here at jJ. They probably aren’t marketable.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Why not? It makes sense financially. 1 season at 6m net costs the club 11m gross, 2 seasons at 6m costs the club 15m gross due to tax relief. And he obviously can still play a significant role in a position we dont have many alternatives.

The man just played a great WC final.
it's one year and he's our only attacker who had at least 5 genuinely good matches this season. the 2nd season also qualifies him for the tax relief

if it was for an other 3 seasons i'd say screw it, but for one additional season? any better players in sight?
I've had enough of overpaid players who play 1 decent game a month on average. If that.

He's way too expensive compared to what he delivers.
Same goes for other players as well, obviously, but most of them have longer contracts. The way I see it, not renewing these kinds of deals is a first step.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I've had enough of overpaid players who play 1 decent game a month on average. If that.

Same goes for other players as well, obviously, but most of them have longer contracts. The way I see it, not renewing these kinds of deals is a first step.
overpaid? that's certainly debatable. strickland did the maths, we have a dozen who cost more on a yearly basis

for me we have at least 15 players who should leave before di maria. in a semi decent team he's still a baller

Strickland

May 17, 2019

I disagree there. if the cost for his 2nd year is additional 4m and he maintains his current level (8G+7A so far), that statement isn't true, that's actually pretty cheap.

in general besides the goals and assists what I like about di Maria is that he encourages the other players to play football, at least couple of times this season I have seen that him coming on as a substitute changes the approach of others.

of course if the agent tries to take advantage of the tax relief and demands a crazy salary for the 2nd year, which might very well happen, I too would be in favor of parting ways, we are long overdue on having some financial discipline.

venus_isle

Sep 23, 2010
He is the ONLY player who can put a good through ball in this squad.

Edit: i guess pogba too but im not counting someone who might never even be fit an play for at least a quarter of the season lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)