zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
If there was any justice in football then you can make a case for him and Maldini, at least since I've started watching football. Problem is defensive minded players tend to be ignored. Buffon is arguably the best keeper ever though, so he has a strong case.

Remember its not just longevity, its being world class for long periods of time. Giggs for example was world class for like 5 years then just "good" for the rest. Buffon has been world class for at least 10 years.

In my honest opinion Maradonna is the GOAT, proved it at club and international level, and stayed world class for many years.

As I keep saying though, football is evolving its difficult to compare two eras. It would be like getting a snooker player to play pool (billiards). Best compare the best players with the other players at his time.
i love Gigi but he isnt top5, even if he is a top5 keeper (mostly top3 or even nr.1) for his whole career.

but i agree, its difficult to rang players in football, not just because of what you mentioned, but the difference between the roles of each position. its not as simple as counting awards and achievements. Then there is also the thing about how many all time greats in their prime you faced for your career, aka level of competition. Nowadays it's all about the CL, before league competition was more important than it is now, world cups and NT tournaments were the top tiers, and you had the UEFA cup which for a long period of time was arguably as strong as the CL, which featured only champions of counties, and all the other top clubs played the UEFA cup. This made the competition much more balanced between national leagues and the 2 euro competitions (even South America had strong leagues unlike now, so you didn't even have to play in Europe to be considered the best in the world), so you didn't necessarily have to carry a stacked team to CL success to win the balon dor.

And since we are on that topic already, it's also important to note that non Europeans weren't awarded balon dors before 1995, but France Football made new selections some years ago for non Europeans that should have won a balon dor. Pele would have 7 according to them, Maradona 2 (probably deserved it in 87 too):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d'Or

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Legends shouldn't be rated by length of peak, but by the best 3-5 years of their peak.

Cause in the 60ties, late 80ties and 90ties, in the wrong competition you'd be injured Alot.

Today, there is huge protection. As if Messi would have never been out half a season if he got Hierro or Ayala two foot frontal assault on his ankle.

Money, more scarse talent, and completer teams also change things.

Maradona was insane. At choking bar à and mediocre Napoli.
Today, he'd be at Madrid. Being protected.

Ronaldo with modern medical follow-up. He'd might have CR7s longetivity

Zidane would face teams considerably less organised, in a balanced Madrid.

Platini had 5 legendary years. Of which 3 arguably the best ever years. Imagine him with proper surroundings and follow-up, and double that peak.

Nah. Take the best 3-5 years of a player and compare.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Legends shouldn't be rated by length of peak, but by the best 3-5 years of their peak.

Cause in the 60ties, late 80ties and 90ties, in the wrong competition you'd be injured Alot.

Today, there is huge protection. As if Messi would have never been out half a season if he got Hierro or Ayala two foot frontal assault on his ankle.

Money, more scarse talent, and completer teams also change things.

Maradona was insane. At choking bar à and mediocre Napoli.
Today, he'd be at Madrid. Being protected.

Ronaldo with modern medical follow-up. He'd might have CR7s longetivity

Zidane would face teams considerably less organised, in a balanced Madrid.

Platini had 5 legendary years. Of which 3 arguably the best ever years. Imagine him with proper surroundings and follow-up, and double that peak.

Nah. Take the best 3-5 years of a player and compare.
About change and protection the difference is so bit that it's almost ridiculous..

The first time I watched Brazil-Italia WC 1970 two things were obvious: 1) They weren't used to the "new" ball 2) How raw and hard was that football, I think that for a red card u had to punch the ref in the face or something like that... and when u read about England WC and how dirty it was u can only imagine how difficult it was for players to keep to his peach for long periods

For instance Pele first WC was a Neymar fit type and in the last one he was bigger than current CR7 and I read he did it to bear so much physical damage

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
It's your opinion, and therefore it's debatable. Are you a $#@!ing god that I'm supposed to take your word for gospel or fact? Get a grip dude.

We're comparing Zidane to Messi, not some random footballer. Zidane is one of the greatest footballers of all time, and arguably the greatest footballer of his generation.
Messi can playmake like Zidane while scoring at the same rate as Ronaldo.

Today against Real Sociedad, Messi scored an insane free kick, had an assist, and created several other chances through his incredible passing, and it was considered an average performance by his standards.

Zizou was fantastic, but Messi is on another level. If I were to make an all-time list, Messi would be top 3 with Pele and Maradona. Zizou would be in the bottom half of the top 10.

But we're all entitled to an opinion.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009

Today against Real Sociedad, Messi scored an insane free kick, had an assist, and created several other chances through his incredible passing, and it was considered an average performance by his standards.

Zizou was fantastic, but Messi is on another level. If I were to make an all-time list, Messi would be top 3 with Pele and Maradona. Zizou would be in the bottom half of the top 10.

Fair enough. Like you said, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just don't happen to share it :D

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
You wasting your time dude..
S/he probably only saw zidane through youtube clip.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I have seen enough games games of Zidane to form an opinion. He was a phenomenal player, top 10 of all time, but not quite on par with say Maradona.

- - - Updated - - -

Zizou is more of a motivational manager rather than a tactical one. He has the presence and charisma to control the egos inside Madrid's lockerroom. He's the ideal manager for a star-studded team. It's just that right now his forwards (Ronaldo and Benzema particularly) are just awful and Ronaldo is undroppable no matter how badly he plays.

His job depends entirely on what he does in the CL. The game against PSG will be huge.

ADP1897

Apr 17, 2014
I have seen enough games games of Zidane to form an opinion. He was a phenomenal player, top 10 of all time, but not quite on par with say Maradona.

- - - Updated - - -

Zizou is more of a motivational manager rather than a tactical one. He has the presence and charisma to control the egos inside Madrid's lockerroom. He's the ideal manager for a star-studded team. It's just that right now his forwards (Ronaldo and Benzema particularly) are just awful and Ronaldo is undroppable no matter how badly he plays.

His job depends entirely on what he does in the CL. The game against PSG will be huge.
Ok

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

How old are you, 14 ?

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Messi is the best footballer of the last 20 years, no player should be compared to him bar maybe Luiz Ronaldo who could do as much destruction as Messi can in a game

CR7 is nothing but a much better Inzaghi since he won his last 4 Balon d'or every part of his game regressed and the only improvements he made were his finishing

As a footballer he is well below average but his goals make people think he is some freak but Harry Kane just had a similar season to him goals wise and Gerd Muller was never seen to be seen in the same light as Cruyff or Maradonna despite outscoring them significantly

My top 3 that I have seen anyway is Messi, Luiz Ronaldo, Zidane or Iniesta hard to separate the last 2

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Messi is the best footballer of the last 20 years, no player should be compared to him bar maybe Luiz Ronaldo who could do as much destruction as Messi can in a game

CR7 is nothing but a much better Inzaghi since he won his last 4 Balon d'or every part of his game regressed and the only improvements he made were his finishing

As a footballer he is well below average but his goals make people think he is some freak but Harry Kane just had a similar season to him goals wise and Gerd Muller was never seen to be seen in the same light as Cruyff or Maradonna despite outscoring them significantly

My top 3 that I have seen anyway is Messi, Luiz Ronaldo, Zidane or Iniesta hard to separate the last 2
Ugh brush your teeth, son, you reek of Barca cock.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
:touched: :baus: Spoken like a true Millennial child.
Mandzo>>Vidal>>>Messi>Cr7>>>>Pjanic>>>>>Zidane>>>>>>>>Ruru>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>baggio the bum

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005

Decent humor.

May 23, 2013

Great post bro. Fanboys cant handle the truth

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
:touched: :baus: Spoken like a true Millennial child.
Nah not really. You are just old who likes to live in the past. You're pretending like it's some sort of blasphemy to say Messi is better than Zidane. By the time he retires, there wouldn't even be a comparison between both because Messi would be way ahead.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Nah not really. You are just old who likes to live in the past. You're pretending like it's some sort of blasphemy to say Messi is better than Zidane. By the time he retires, there wouldn't even be a comparison between both because Messi would be way ahead.
:agree:

And Cristiano would be the "real" Ronaldo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)