Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
It is, you just have to downsize the circle of interviewees to the ones who know the respective player. Some players might walk on a thin line like Pirlo but Zidane is 100% Real legend
I agree.

But that method only works for the top clubs.

Imo a player mostly known ofr playing for one of the biggest clubs can still be a legend for a smaller club he previously or later on played for.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the attitude of the player himself plays a part too, I'd argue Pirlo is not really a Milan legend partly because of what he wrote in his book.

Jun 6, 2015
A player can be a legend in more than one team. How the player does for his future teams should have nothing to do when rating if that player deserves the legend status. How the player leaves the team should however count so I see it as a viable reason to question Zidane's legendary status at Juve. I would easily classify C. Ronaldo as a United legend though and his move and career path are in a way very similar to that of Zidane.

I'm sure we all have our own definitions and requirements for the legendary status too. Some base them on the quality of the player and accomplishment and others value emotional bond and longevity over anything.

Just goes to show that emotion rules over rational thinking in these legend or not definitions. Of course there's always the inferiority complex that kicks in for many people when a player leaves to another club of big stature too.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Wouldnt call Ronaldo a United legend and also not Zidane a Juventus legend. They both been big players for both clubs, but not legends for any of them. Ronaldo is a RM legend and Zidane probably the same, but fair enough if people see it different.

Jun 6, 2015
Wouldnt call Ronaldo a United legend and also not Zidane a Juventus legend. They both been big players for both clubs, but not legends for any of them. Ronaldo is a RM legend and Zidane probably the same, but fair enough if people see it different.
As I pointed out there's this weird notion that what the player does in his next club somehow has anything to do with his status or accomplishments in the previous club. I really fail to see any real logic behind that kind of thinking.

People just remember the recent accomplishments better and somehow let that undermine what they have done previously.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
As I pointed out there's this weird notion that what the player does in his next club somehow has anything to do with his status or accomplishments in the previous club. I really fail to see any real logic behind that kind of thinking.

People just remember the recent accomplishments better and somehow let that undermine what they have done previously.
Its more due to what Ronaldo have achieved while being in Real Madrid when you compare it to United. Its much more both on club basis but also individual. Also he been there 8 years this summer and will probably retire there in 3-4 years or how long he continue. He spent "only" 6 years in United.

Maybe you can call him a United legend, but imo its hard to make him fit into that category, but like i said before i respect if you and others see it different for sure.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
If the club sees Zizou as a legend, I dont see how there can be any debate about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Its more due to what Ronaldo have achieved while being in Real Madrid when you compare it to United. Its much more both on club basis but also individual. Also he been there 8 years this summer and will probably retire there in 3-4 years or how long he continue. He spent "only" 6 years in United.

Maybe you can call him a United legend, but imo its hard to make him fit into that category, but like i said before i respect if you and others see it different for sure.
How many United players have won the balon dor while playing there? Not many I guess. 3 EPLs, 2 CL finals, of which he won one, and playing a big part in what United is now in terms of marketing. His on and off field contributions easily put him as one of their greatest players ever, so he should be a legend, regardless of what happened afterwards

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
If the club sees Zizou as a legend, I dont see how there can be any debate about it.

- - - Updated - - -

How many United players have won the balon dor while playing there? Not many I guess. 3 EPLs, 2 CL finals, of which he won one, and playing a big part in what United is now in terms of marketing. His on and off field contributions easily put him as one of their greatest players ever, so he should be a legend, regardless of what happened afterwards
You can say that, but United was still the biggest football brand before him imo, but sure he helped them become even bigger. 3 United players have won a Ballon d`Or before him.

Would still rank him as a Real Madrid legend more than a United one though. Also because he played his best football years in Real Madrid from his mid twenties and until now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)