Zdenek Grygera (1 Viewer)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Well maybe you're just blind or stupid because you conveniently forgot to mention Amauri(22M), Grosso(2M), Motta(4M), Pepe(9M). We sold Diego for half the price we bought him for and Melo for a fraction of what we bought him for. Even if some of the crap players we bought in this mercato were on bosmans, we shouldn't have even brought them in if we weren't able to sell our old back ups first. Now we have an even bigger group of players who will continue to do nothing for our team while they eat up our funds which should have been dedicated to a smaller group of better players. What difference does it make that Martinez is now on loan? Is that supposed to mean Marotta didn't pay way too much for a very poor player?
Yah, management buys players like Amauri, Diego, Melo and later cannot regain the money spent, but the problem here is that the management that bought them is no longer here and the ones you're blaming didn't buy them in the first place. It's fucking stupid if you can't see it. At the moment Pepe and Martinez seem to be the most problematic issues with regaining our money from the guys Marotta actually bought that didn't work out. With Pepe we'll probably loose a million or two and Martinez is the only real fuck-up. Lets see how it goes with them before blaming THIS management for PREVIOUS management failures.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well maybe you're just blind or stupid because you conveniently forgot to mention Amauri(22M), Grosso(2M), Motta(4M), Pepe(9M). We sold Diego for half the price we bought him for and Melo for a fraction of what we bought him for. Even if some of the crap players we bought in this mercato were on bosmans, we shouldn't have even brought them in if we weren't able to sell our old back ups first. Now we have an even bigger group of players who will continue to do nothing for our team while they eat up our funds which should have been dedicated to a smaller group of better players. What difference does it make that Martinez is now on loan? Is that supposed to mean Marotta didn't pay way too much for a very poor player?
Marotta certainly fucked up on Martinez, Motta and Pepe as it stands, unless they can be traded to Russian teams with more money than sense.

What I don't get is why he is criticised for selling Secco's vastly overpriced players for less. I don't think I'll ever get this reasoning. Grosso was 31 then and 33 now, no value. Amauri was 28 then and 31 now, not to mention a stubborn git who won't move, complete failure and on €4.2m wages. Diego and Melo were for joke fees, Diego actually went for his real value. Melo hasn't even been sold.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Yah, management buys players like Amauri, Diego, Melo and later cannot regain the money spent, but the problem here is that the management that bought them is no longer here and the ones you're blaming didn't buy them in the first place. It's fucking stupid if you can't see it. At the moment Pepe and Martinez seem to be the most problematic issues with regaining our money from the guys Marotta actually bought that didn't work out. With Pepe we'll probably loose a million or two and Martinez is the only real fuck-up. Lets see how it goes with them before blaming THIS management for PREVIOUS management failures.
Yes but Marotta's big failure is that he removed Diego and Melo from our squad for peanuts when they shouldn't have left at all and bought players like Pepe, Martinez and Motta. Then this mercato he brought in a whole lot of free players who will likely follow the path of the likes Grosso, Grygera and Amauri while they walk off with fat pay checks. I will bet you that Marotta won't sell Pepe for anything more than 4M considering his track record with much more attractive players. Marotta was failing from the moment he arrived in Turin.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Marotta certainly fucked up on Martinez, Motta and Pepe as it stands, unless they can be traded to Russian teams with more money than sense.

What I don't get is why he is criticised for selling Secco's vastly overpriced players for less. I don't think I'll ever get this reasoning. Grosso was 31 then and 33 now, no value. Amauri was 28 then and 31 now, not to mention a stubborn git who won't move, complete failure and on €4.2m wages. Diego and Melo were for joke fees, Diego actually went for his real value. Melo hasn't even been sold.
Diego had seasons in Germany that justified a price tag of 20M which everyone seems to forget probably because they didn't even bother to watch him play. He had one bad season with us in a terrible team so all of the sudden he is worth 10M less? Marotta couldn't even sell Melo.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Diego had seasons in Germany that justified a price tag of 20M which everyone seems to forget probably because they didn't even bother to watch him play. He had one bad season with us in a terrible team so all of the sudden he is worth 10M less? Marotta couldn't even sell Melo.
At moment Diego probably is worth 8-10 millions after horrible season with Wolfsburg. He's a good player, but only in certain formations. And his price was never the 25m we payed for him, Serie A ain't Bundesliga.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Yes but Marotta's big failure is that he removed Diego and Melo from our squad for peanuts when they shouldn't have left at all and bought players like Pepe, Martinez and Motta. Then this mercato he brought in a whole lot of free players who will likely follow the path of the likes Grosso, Grygera and Amauri while they walk off with fat pay checks. I will bet you that Marotta won't sell Pepe for anything more than 4M considering his track record with much more attractive players. Marotta was failing from the moment he arrived in Turin.
He replaced Diego with Krasič and Quag. Melo with Vidal. Not with Pepe or Motta, who were both squad players. We payed too much for Pepe and Martinez was a big failure, but you're making it sound like Marrota is the worst manager ever. Can you name the wages please for our summer free-bies Pazienza, Pirlo and Ziegler?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
At moment Diego probably is worth 8-10 millions after horrible season with Wolfsburg. He's a good player, but only in certain formations. And his price was never the 25m we payed for him, Serie A ain't Bundesliga.
Then why was Dzeko worth 42M? And why did we buy Elia for 9M when he wasn't even getting first team football at Hamburg, a Bundesliga team? Is Elia worth the same amount as the Diego of yesteryear? Diego played well consistently for three years at Werder before he flopped here. His price tag was easily 20M and if Marotta was any good at his job he would have been able to sell him for a similar price considering he didn't even flop that bad if you take into account the poor all round performance of our entire team. It would have made sense to sell him for 15M if he played poorly in a relatively successful quality team like Sneijder but virtually every player in our squad were terrible that season.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
He replaced Diego with Krasič and Quag. Melo with Vidal. Not with Pepe or Motta, who were both squad players. We payed too much for Pepe and Martinez was a big failure, but you're making it sound like Marrota is the worst manager ever. Can you name the wages please for our summer free-bies Pazienza, Pirlo and Ziegler?
Krasic is not a striker and Melo is not the same type of midfielder as Vidal. We could have had Melo, Krasic, Vidal and Diego in the same squad. That's how a team should be built.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
€9m for Elia is a fair price. All our buys are a fair price on paper, there is no excessive spending on individuals. But that's not really the main gripe is it?

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Krasic is not a striker and Melo is not the same type of midfielder as Vidal. We could have had Melo, Krasic, Vidal and Diego in the same squad. That's how a team should be built.
Diego isn't a striker too. Without Diego money we wouldn't have cash for Krasič or a place in the squad for Quag's. Melo was not in Conte's plans..

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Then why was Dzeko worth 42M? And why did we buy Elia for 9M when he wasn't even getting first team football at Hamburg, a Bundesliga team? Is Elia worth the same amount as the Diego of yesteryear? Diego played well consistently for three years at Werder before he flopped here. His price tag was easily 20M and if Marotta was any good at his job he would have been able to sell him for a similar price considering he didn't even flop that bad if you take into account the poor all round performance of our entire team. It would have made sense to sell him for 15M if he played poorly in a relatively successful quality team like Sneijder but virtually every player in our squad were terrible that season.
We bought Diego for 25m not 20m. I agree we could've kept him, but you certainly can't be sure if his value would have been over 15m this summer. No reason to bash Marrota on this after seing him fail at Wolfsburg.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
We bought Diego for 25m not 20m. I agree we could've kept him, but you certainly can't be sure if his value would have been over 15m this summer. No reason to bash Marrota on this after seing him fail at Wolfsburg.
I didn't say we bought him for 20M I said he was probably worth around 20M maybe more and I don't think Secco overpaid that much for him. Looks like you, among other members have perfect 20/20 hindsight. Did you know he would fail at Wolfsburg? Do you know for a fact he would have failed at Juventus in his second season? I'm not making excuses for Diego, I'm observing the circumstances under which he played so poorly. The teams he played in at Juventus and Wolfsburg were interrupted and depleted. Also I think Diego would have made a very good creative striker. Look at how many goals he scored at Werder. So if we had kept Diego we wouldn't have had to buy Quagliarella in the first place and we still would have had money to buy Krasic. How can you speak as though Marotta managed our funds so well that season after he threw millions of euros down the toilet on Martinez and co.? Moreover, we wouldn't have lacked so much creativity last season had we kept Diego.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
€9m for Elia is a fair price. All our buys are a fair price on paper, there is no excessive spending on individuals. But that's not really the main gripe is it?
That's not the gripe this mercato but Marotta did spend excessively on terrible players last summer. This summer the problem has been Marotta's complete inability to move any of our old back up players out before he brought new ones in. Instead of slowly accumulating quality, he's quickly accumulating mediocrity (and player wages) and it will have a largely negative effect on our finances which will affect future purchases. You would think with such a large squad we would have great depth by now, but that doesn't seem to be the case does it?

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Zdenek Grygera is better than Marco Motta. There. Now I'm not entirely off topic here. :p

Forget Grosso and Amauri, Jay - they demonstrated that they were basically useless. That's not on Marotta.

I don't know about your theoretical opinions on this, but for me, selling players who have demonstrated that they're quite useful (even if they may not be everything the fans had hoped for), especially when they're relatively young (and at a significant loss after a single year), is not a wise move (new dysfunctional club, new country, etc.). We compounded the error of overspending on players, by jettisoning useful components. That's a big problem for me.

Also, loaning one of your better midfielders when he's 28 years old, and sending him to Turkey of all places, is not a exactly a conventional (or sound) sporting/business decision.

I agree with a lot of your 'balanced' views Jay, moderation is good, but I'll never understand how Diego became the scapegoat that he did considering how fucked up that year was. It's crazy. Now that he's finally returned to a relatively stable environment, I'd be willing to bet that he puts together a very solid season at Atletico... and he's certainly good enough to play for this Juventus.

Diego isn't a striker too. Without Diego money we wouldn't have cash for Krasič or a place in the squad for Quag's. Melo was not in Conte's plans..
We sold Diego for 15M, after Delneri said a week before the sale that he considered the player to be a fundamental part of the squad. He was playing pretty darn well at SS during the preseason, considering how long he had to adjust to the role. Basically, he was one of our better players the previous season (I thought he was about our 3rd best player), but he was sold because he "didn't fit in Deneri's formation". Even though the coach said publicly that he counted on the player.

Somehow, we bought Jorge Martinez that mercato for 12M, to play a position he had never played before, and clearly isn't suited for.

We saved a little money between the transfer fee, and the salary reduction - but what did we get for it? A year later, Martinez is a 12M bust, on a free loan at Cesena, and I believe we're even paying part of his salary.

We could have kept #28, and definitely still bought Krasic. We also had to dip into the winter mercato for 2 forwards - injuries are obviously a bitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)