Zdenek Grygera (5 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
We sold Diego for 15M, after Delneri said a week before the sale that he considered the player to be a fundamental part of the squad. He was playing pretty darn well at SS during the preseason, considering how long he had to adjust to the role. Basically, he was one of our better players the previous season (I thought he was about our 3rd best player), but he was sold because he "didn't fit in Deneri's formation". Even though the coach said publicly that he counted on the player.

Somehow, we bought Jorge Martinez that mercato for 12M, to play a position he had never played before, and clearly isn't suited for.

We saved a little money between the transfer fee, and the salary reduction - but what did we get for it? A year later, Martinez is a 12M bust, on a free loan at Cesena, and I believe we're even paying part of his salary.

We could have kept #28, and definitely still bought Krasic. We also had to dip into the winter mercato for 2 forwards - injuries are obviously a bitch.
I was a Juve fan back then, you don't need to remind me everything I remember crystal clearly :p I'm not saying Marotta did very good there, the Martinez failure (talk about mediocre Italians being our main obstacle) obviously screwed our mercato big time last summer. But at the moment when we sold Diego (the end of the summer not start), we obviously traded him and some cash against Krasič and his replacement (which turned out not to be di Natale, but Quags). Obviously something went wrong that summer, either Marotta had been promised money for right winger and didn't receive it or Pepe and Martinez were bound to be starters, but proved to be not good enough. Diego sale was a crazy solution, but I like it, since I rate Quagliarella higher anyway.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I was a Juve fan back then, you don't need to remind me everything I remember crystal clearly :p I'm not saying Marotta did very good there, the Martinez failure (talk about mediocre Italians being our main obstacle) obviously screwed our mercato big time last summer. But at the moment when we sold Diego (the end of the summer not start), we obviously traded him and some cash against Krasič and his replacement (which turned out not to be di Natale, but Quags). Obviously something went wrong that summer, either Marotta had been promised money for right winger and didn't receive it or Pepe and Martinez were bound to be starters, but proved to be not good enough. Diego sale was a crazy solution, but I like it, since I rate Quagliarella higher anyway.
I really, really didn't like it. Obviously.

:D

Why would Marotta have been promised money for a RW, and then not received it? I don't buy that at all. No need to brainstorm potential excuses - the man just made a bunch of fucked up decisions during that mercato - hence we finished 7th again. If Marotta thought that Pepe was fit to start for Juventus... well, we don't need to speculate about that, I guess. Krasic was a target of ours for several months - funds should have been set aside for his purchase long before the Diego debacle.

Quagliarella was an extremely lucky hit, as GM was also trying to sign Boriello before he "settled" for Q - but there were issues with the loan/option formula. Plus, Quags was a 4.5M loan - with a little planning, we could have easily gotten that much money elsewhere. The whole situation was one last minute clusterfuck, but that's not particularly surprising, considering that we know Marotta likes to leave the deals until late.

Anyway, it's a divisive subject that I don't think we're going to agree on, and I know everyone is tired of hearing about.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I really, really didn't like it. Obviously.

Why would Marotta have been promised money for a RW, and then not received it? I don't buy that at all. No need to brainstorm potential excuses - the man just made a bunch of fucked up decisions during that mercato - hence we finished 7th again. If Marotta thought that Pepe was fit to start for Juventus... well, we don't need to speculate about that, I guess. Krasic was a target of ours for several months - funds should have been set aside for his purchase long before the Diego debacle.

Quagliarella was an extremely lucky hit, as GM was also trying to sign Boriello before he "settled" for Q - but there were issues with the loan/option formula. Plus, Quags was a 4.5M loan - with a little planning, we could have easily gotten that much money elsewhere. The whole situation was one last minute clusterfuck, but that's not particularly surprising, considering that we know Marotta likes to leave the deals until late.

Anyway, it's a divisive subject that I don't think we're going to agree on, and I know everyone is tired of hearing about.

Well I'm not sure we're disagreeing in Marotta fucking up some things last Mercato (Motta, Pepe and Martinez most of all, obviously both loans were with obligation to buy for unjustified price tags and 12m cash could've been used way better), I just don't feel like missing Diego here, not sure if the guy could be useful in current Juve. Last year after January - sure. But still, it was strange that we bet those 30+ millions for Džeko and later had to sell Diego to raise funds for Krasič. I can't see any other logical reason why we sold Diego, Del Neri was surely content with having him and Marotta doesn't seem to be on a Juve-destroying mission too. Obviously, smth must have went wrong there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)