Zdenek Grygera (6 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I laughed my ass of at Grygera's reaction - it was funny as hell, and I'm glad he enjoyed it so much. It was still a big point... and it doesn't get much worse than losing at home to Inter... at least for me.

I'm really interested in people's opinion on this player... because even if it's true that he's played decently in some of our more important games this year, I'm 100% convinced that he's been our worst starting 11 player over the course of the season. He's blown the offside trap about a thousand times, he consistently loses track of his mark, is abused by technically gifted players with any speed at all, and his mistakes generally tend to be extremely costly for us.

I certainly think that RB is the weakest position on a defense that badly needs upgrading...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
If it's a choice between him and Zebina to go, I'd choose Zebina. Zebina is getting old and he is injury prone. We won't get much money off of him, but we will clear some room in our salary budget.

still, Grygera can only be a back up to a RB we should buy this summer.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
He is a decent fullback who is, at worst, a good squad player.

He has been poor since the Xmas break, though.
His performances were less than adequate before the break, IMO. When Marco started getting consistent minutes, Grygera's weaknesses were increasingly exposed. Our opponent's entire left side can cheat their defensive responsibilities when this combo is in the game.

As I've said too many times before, my opinion is that Grygera and Marco have been our least impressive players this season.

Out of curiosity Red, if there was one position in our starting 11 that you would upgrade, which spot would it be? Excluding LM/Pavel, because he's already being replaced.

If it's a choice between him and Zebina to go, I'd choose Zebina. Zebina is getting old and he is injury prone. We won't get much money off of him, but we will clear some room in our salary budget.

still, Grygera can only be a back up to a RB we should buy this summer.
Zebina has been extremely injury prone the past couple of years, which makes this such a difficult call - it's been forever since we've seen him play with any continuity. I rate him marginally higher than Grygera, but if he's never healthy enough to play, than I admit that it's hard to side with Zebina here.

As long as we can get a top class starting RB, I'm almost indifferent to which one of these players leaves. In a perfect world, we'd get two new RB's... give it another few years I guess... :cry:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Out of curiosity Red, if there was one position in our starting 11 that you would upgrade, which spot would it be? Excluding LM/Pavel, because he's already being replaced.
It would be RB.

I don't think Grygera is good enough to be first choice and I've never liked/rated Zebina.

Mar 30, 2006
It would be RB.

I don't think Grygera is good enough to be first choice and I've never liked/rated Zebina.
I would upgrade CB first. RB second. OUt of Zebina, Grygera and Mellberg I think we can get by. Especially if Zebina's unjuries are behind him now.

But I think haing an improvment over Leggro/Mellberg would have a big impact on our results. Like Agger in place of them would be a gift from god.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I would upgrade CB first. RB second. OUt of Zebina, Grygera and Mellberg I think we can get by. Especially if Zebina's unjuries are behind him now.

But I think haing an improvment over Leggro/Mellberg would have a big impact on our results. Like Agger in place of them would be a gift from god.
Really? I definitely think that we could be better in the middle, but our right side offers very little support, and bleeds goals.

Plus, I see the possibility of a couple young CB's entering the fray... I really want to see what the plan is with Criscito (hopefully he comes back, maybe he'll slide over to LB?) and I would prefer that Ariaudo stay with the team rather than get loaned out. Now that we're basically certain that Canna is coming as well, I can't see us going for another CB. I wish we were planning to strengthen that position a little more, but I guess we'll have to see what the budget holds.

At RB, we know there's not really anyone coming through our youth pipeline at the moment, Zebina is always hurt, and Grygera lacks first team quality (and an argument can certainly be made that Zebina isn't good enough to start for Juventus either). Mellberg offers emergency spot coverage, but that's all I'd want or expect from him; he's not mobile enough for me. I want someone to BOMB up and down that flank and provide some service to our fantastic target men, who currently get next to no help. We desperately need an upgrade at RB.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Man of the Match for me.

Almost faultless in defence and he kept possession better than usual (because he got to play with Camoranesi instead of Marchionni).

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Yeah, me too, one of best games for Grygera ever and being against Milan adds more points to his achievement. Poulsen also had a great game, but Grygera was challenged more than anyone else, when he had to change role and he was tireless
and efficient to the end.

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
oops again

Juventus.com

"The session ended with a mini-match during the last instant of which Grygera complained of a muscle pain in the back region of the left thigh. The Czech returned to the dressing rooms aboard the mechanical buggy and his conditions will be evaluated in the next few days.
"

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
lol 50 years later with science improving massively how is this possible? Could be the fact that our team doctor wasn't licensed....hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)