"Your Faith is a Joke" (4 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #21
    I hate to have to keep saying this every time a religious topic is discussed but belief in God is not a scientific hypothesis. Philosophical? Yes. Personal? Probably. Scientific? Absolutely not.

Here's why. Science is based on the principle of testable observation. A scientist comes up with a hypothesis and conducts an experiment to test it's validity. The question of God's existence, epistemological questions, moralistic questions, and anything to do with the subject of philosophy cannot be empirically verified by definition.
    But that's exactly why religion is nonsense. You can't prove a God exists either way, so why waste your life on it?

The answer is obviously: delusion.

2-Then you should also not force the muslims to respect homosexuality,because simply they don't believe in it.
    You don't have to respect homosexuality, but you shouldn't stone those who partake in it. That's what Muslims do. They don't respect freedom of choice. They force beliefs on other people.

So your response means you aren't understanding the point here.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    But that's exactly why religion is nonsense. You can't prove a God exists either way, so why waste your life on it?

You don't have to respect homosexuality, but you shouldn't stone those who partake in it. That's what Muslims do. They don't respect freedom of choice. They force beliefs on other people.

So your response means you aren't understanding the point here.
    You know, better job opportunities (economical reasons) aren't the only reason why Muslims leave their countries. I'd say the biggest reason is the ill-treatment they received at home. There really is no other reason why you see taxi drivers in New York and Toronto that have medical and engineering degrees from their home countries. They bust their ass off doing just about anything because it's better than living at home.

What astonishes a lot of people is why after all that they still obsess about where they came from and still chose to continue worshiping the same religion which was used as a tool to oppress them.

Jun 13, 2007

Says who?

When was it decided that every truth in this universe can only be valid if it's scientifically proven? What about knowledge that is not scientifically verifiable?

Jun 13, 2007
    Astral Projection.
    Yes, among many other things. Interestingly, sometimes even science is not scientifically verifiable. Take the theory of relativity for example, or anything to do with contemporary cosmology, Mathematics, Evolution, string theory, the subconscious, and the list goes on.

Jun 13, 2007
    ßöмßäяðîëя;2807076 said:
    No it isn't...

evil |ˈēvəl|
    adjective
    profoundly immoral and malevolent
    Do atheists believe that evil exists?

Can you give me an example of someone who you think is evil, and why?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    we had this conversation before religion and ideology are 2 distinct concepts, and by that loose logic atheism too is a religion
    I'm not so sure about that. One person's ideology is another person's religion.

I've always seen athiesm as a flavor of any set of religious beliefs, much like how you can argue that black is color (or white, if you're talking light rather than pigment). As with religion, athiesm isn't even an absolute and has many shades.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I'm not so sure about that. One person's ideology is another person's religion.

I've always seen athiesm as a flavor of any set of religious beliefs, much like how you can argue that black is color (or white, if you're talking light rather than pigment). As with religion, athiesm isn't even an absolute and has many shades.
    religion requires existence of a tradition, practices and the supernatural; ideology? not necessarily. Its like saying if some says "i follow serie A religiously" then thats his religion, very loose association. And my atheism example was to reinforce that notion. however i dont consider atheism to be able to carry many shades as logically something cant both exist and not exist.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    religion requires existence of a tradition, practices and the supernatural; ideology? not necessarily. Its like saying if some says "i follow serie A religiously" then thats his religion, very loose association. And my atheism example was to reinforce that notion. however i dont consider atheism to be able to carry many shades as logically something cant both exist and not exist.
    Oh, but there's a natural history of athiesm. There are its historical advocates, its heroes. And humans aren't binary, whether that comes to their atheism, devout fundamental Judaism, heterosexuality, or whatever. There's a continuum.

And we have religions that are invented out of nowhere (e.g., John Smith + magic underpants = instant Mormonism!).

Apr 12, 2004
    Do atheists believe that evil exists?

Can you give me an example of someone who you think is evil, and why?
    Of course, evil is something that exists in humanity, it is a part of who people are. Most people, deep down, are good. Others just want to watch the world burn...

Kim Jong Il

He controls the free will of his people.
    :whispers: you re coming off a bit dumb using a dictionary in this context.
    Not really.

Jun 13, 2007
    ßöмßäяðîëя;2807222 said:
    Of course, evil is something that exists in humanity, it is a part of who people are. Most people, deep down, are good. Others just want to watch the world burn...

Kim Jong Il

He controls the free will of his people.
    Okay, what about those who admired and loved this Kim Jong II person; would they say he's evil?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)