"Your Faith is a Joke" (1 Viewer)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #49
    You know, better job opportunities (economical reasons) aren't the only reason why Muslims leave their countries. I'd say the biggest reason is the ill-treatment they received at home. There really is no other reason why you see taxi drivers in New York and Toronto that have medical and engineering degrees from their home countries. They bust their ass off doing just about anything because it's better than living at home.

What astonishes a lot of people is why after all that they still obsess about where they came from and still chose to continue worshiping the same religion which was used as a tool to oppress them.
    I can see that. For some, religion is their identity. No matter what, they will always come back to it. It's what they know. And considering individual circumstances, I can see why it might be difficult to throw it away.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I can see that. For some, religion is their identity. No matter what, they will always come back to it. It's what they know. And considering individual circumstances, I can see why it might be difficult to throw it away.
    That too but what I meant is that when you say Muslims stone those that partake in homosexuality or the like, it has to be narrowed down specifically to who you're actually referring to.

There's tons of other factors that come into play as well. The literacy rate for instance, in that part of the world is extremely low. Most of these people can't read or write in their own language so they certainly don't know any Arabic. Their knowledge of their own religion is what the imam tells them.

You might have heard of General Zia-ul-Haq, a former military dictator that came into power in the 70's. He used to send out religious clerics into towns and villages across Pakistan to win support. He used religion to radicalize and recruit people to join the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. I can only speak for Pakistan but I'm sure similar things have happened and go on in other parts of the Muslim world.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
    ßöмßäяðîëя;2967376 said:
    Dirty old uncle Gustav, how have you been?
    Beyond the seas where I have lost a scepter, I hear the neighing of my dappled nouns, soft participles coming down the steps, treading on leaves, trailing their rustling gowns, and liquid verbs in ahla and in ili, Aonian grottoes, nights in the Altai, black pools of sound with "I"s for water lilies.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #57
    "God was created by primitive, superstitious, desert-dwelling savages, with no conception of civilization." Too true. :howler:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)