"Your Faith is a Joke" (1 Viewer)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
wait wait wait, force of evil? evil as in the religious concept, using a concept from the very thing you re trying to put down, thus putting your own argument down. You, your face, and most importantly your argument is a joke, limey bitch

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    Not evil from a religious view, but rather its definition. I.E. morally reprehensible, causing more harm than good, et cetera.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    I think he means moral evil, based on ethics. Perhaps he shouldn't have used the word evil, but rather nefarious. He made the point that religions are only used for control and enslavement, and I agree with that.

Jun 13, 2007

Is this guy for real? He just blabbered on for a whole 6 minutes about how faith is against reason? Maybe I ought to post a video about how 1 plus 1 equals 2, except I don't think I can take myself seriously afterwards. I'd be surprised if this nut job still does. The guy doesn't even make a single coherent argument and I wish I could say he's perhaps rhetorically clever like Hitchens or Dawkins but he's not.

I don't know what you saw in that video to be honest. I've been impressed by many atheists in the past such as A.C Grayling or Bertrand Russel, but this guy is just a ridiculously arrogant prick who's better at giving headaches that making sound arguments.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    Actually, I think he makes a lot of good points. Everyone has to bend-over-backwards to be tolerant towards religion, yet it isn't really deserving of any respect.

He's got a lot good videos out there.

Jun 13, 2007
    Actually, I think he makes a lot of good points. Everyone has to bend-over-backwards to be tolerant towards religion, yet it isn't really deserving of any respect.

The thing is, it's not about respecting the content of one's belief but simply respecting his right to choose whatever he wants to believe in, no matter how ridiculous it seems to us. I think this is where this guy has it all wrong, and hence why I think he's extremely arrogant.

If I meet someone who believes that all of modern science if wrong and that the earth is, in fact, flat; I would probably think that the guy is an absolute idiot. Does that mean that he shouldn't be tolerated in society? Here's the way I see it. If this person is a productive member of his community and is causing no harm to anyone, then who are we to judge whether or not we should tolerate his beliefs?

Usually religious fundamentalists are known for their intolerance, but I always thought that they don't know any better. That they probably lack proper education and have been brainwashed from their youth.

It shocks me to see this Mr. Arrogant adopt the same intolerant attitude because you would expect a little more intelligence from an academic, but apparently I was wrong.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    But he does respect choice and freedom of thought. There's a difference from that and respecting the actual thought in question, TEB.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I think he means moral evil, based on ethics. Perhaps he shouldn't have used the word evil, but rather nefarious. He made the point that religions are only used for control and enslavement, and I agree with that.
    nazis and commies did/do the same without religion

its not about being tolerant, but rather about not being an asshole, why would i go out of my way to pick on someone over their religion thats just as annoying as someone interrupting your dinner to preach religion.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    nazis and commies did/do the same without religion

its not about being tolerant, but rather about not being an asshole, why would i go out of my way to pick on someone over their religion thats just as annoying as someone interrupting your dinner to preach religion.
    As if religion doesn't go out of its way to try to convert people to one religion, or make one feel guilty for not having faith in an religion, or make one feel ashamed for not respecting an unproven theory.

The message is pretty simple. Freedom of choice can be respected, but nobody should be forced to respect an idea you don't believe in. That's an actual affront against freedom of choice in itself.

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009
    Most religious people are good people, but whenever some extreme idiots do something, then people blame the whole religion. The majority of the religious people are good, honest people.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    As if religion doesn't go out of its way to try to convert people to one religion, or make one feel guilty for not having faith in an religion, or make one feel ashamed for not respecting an unproven theory.

The message is pretty simple. Freedom of choice can be respected, but nobody should be forced to respect an idea you don't believe in. That's an actual affront against freedom of choice in itself.
    religion does that? when did you meet him/her? it is people who can be obnoxious on both sides of the fence. and the dude on the video is as obnoxious as any Pat Robertson out there.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    religion does that? when did you meet him/her? it is people who can be obnoxious on both sides of the fence. and the dude on the video is as obnoxious as any Pat Robertson out there.
    Again, as if there aren't any Bible verses preaching conversion.

He may be as annoying as Robertson, but he's at least sane.

Jun 13, 2007

I hate to have to keep saying this every time a religious topic is discussed but belief in God is not a scientific hypothesis. Philosophical? Yes. Personal? Probably. Scientific? Absolutely not.

Here's why. Science is based on the principle of testable observation. A scientist comes up with a hypothesis and conducts an experiment to test it's validity. The question of God's existence, epistemological questions, moralistic questions, and anything to do with the subject of philosophy cannot be empirically verified by definition.

If I say to you that I am a rationalist, or a sophist, will you be intolerant of my beliefs because they oppose freedom of choice or science? I may try to suggest you become a rationalist or an empiricist, and I may do that without providing any evidence at all other than my logical reasoning. Should I be accused of intellectual treason for doing so?

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
    Aug 6, 2007

1-As if R.Dawkins didn't write "the God delusion" in attempt to make the theists forsake their faiths.If he has the right to explain his ideas and thoughts,the we also have the right to do so.

2-Then you should also not force the muslims to respect homosexuality,because simply they don't believe in it.

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
    Aug 6, 2007
    The thing is, it's not about respecting the content of one's belief but simply respecting his right to choose whatever he wants to believe in, no matter how ridiculous it seems to us. I think this is where this guy has it all wrong, and hence why I think he's extremely arrogant.

If I meet someone who believes that all of modern science if wrong and that the earth is, in fact, flat; I would probably think that the guy is an absolute idiot. Does that mean that he shouldn't be tolerated in society? Here's the way I see it. If this person is a productive member of his community and is causing no harm to anyone, then who are we to judge whether or not we should tolerate his beliefs?

Usually religious fundamentalists are known for their intolerance, but I always thought that they don't know any better. That they probably lack proper education and have been brainwashed from their youth.

It shocks me to see this Mr. Arrogant adopt the same intolerant attitude because you would expect a little more intelligence from an academic, but apparently I was wrong.
    I hate to have to keep saying this every time a religious topic is discussed but belief in God is not a scientific hypothesis. Philosophical? Yes. Personal? Probably. Scientific? Absolutely not.

Here's why. Science is based on the principle of testable observation. A scientist comes up with a hypothesis and conducts an experiment to test it's validity. The question of God's existence, epistemological questions, moralistic questions, and anything to do with the subject of philosophy cannot be empirically verified by definition.

If I say to you that I am a rationalist, or a sophist, will you be intolerant of my beliefs because they oppose freedom of choice or science? I may try to suggest you become a rationalist or an empiricist, and I may do that without providing any evidence at all other than my logical reasoning. Should I be accused of intellectual treason for doing so?
    3EBlind,you are :tup: :tup: :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)