Xavi has been named the best player (3 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
They are similar in regards to their role within their respective clubs. They both have the task of being the quarterback, placing the ball around the pitch neatly. Xabi and Xavi (Dos Equis) are both slick passers and have great vision and creativity, so I think they're similar players.
In that aspect they are similar. But Xavi is much more of a forward going player, while Xabi prefers to sit back and provide service from a deeper part of the pitch. In that aspect, the two are different. I guess you would call it their respective "approach to the game".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, I guess that really says a lot about the club we love and the nation you support.
Look, I don't quite understand how I can rate Fabregas and Xabi Alonso very highly but be biased against Spain because I think Xavi's nothing special. Cut it out with the Azzurri argument. They're world champions, you should be able to let it go by now. You still haven't made on argument about football itself. Xavi sucks donkey balls, the only reason everyone thinks he's great is the fact he plays for Barcelona. And before you say that's why I don't like him: Messi is world class.

In that aspect they are similar. But Xavi is much more of a forward going player, while Xabi prefers to sit back and provide service from a deeper part of the pitch. In that aspect, the two are different. I guess you would call it their respective "approach to the game".
That's the key word. Xabi provides service. Xavi ensures possession.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Indeed, although when Xavi was first starting out he sat back a lot like Xabi (in the Rivaldo Barca days) since Xavi was the last player back in midfield. He was Guardiola's successor, and that player was always deep-lying. That team was pretty sick IMO.

Puyol - Abelardo - F. De Boer - Sergi

Xavi - Guardiolia - Cocu

Luis Enrique - Rivaldo

Kluivert

I didn't list a keeper because I can't remember who it was. :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It all depends on what you mean by comfortable. If comfortable means willing to take opponents one v one and make plays off the dribble, then no Xabi isn't comfortable on the ball.

But if comfortable means the ability to hold onto the ball long enough to make a positive pass and not lose it to the opponent under pressure then one could say that Xabi is indeed comfortable on the ball.
I mean the former, Xabi can hold onto the ball as you describe it in the latter, but not really make close controll dribbles as Xavi can.

But Andy, no way is Xavi a better passer, he is a slick passer, but I find his vision very overrated. I hardly ever see him make decisive passes, he has the ability to find few good ones, but mainly his passes are lateral, keeping the ball in play mostly, takes no risks. Xabi is more Pirlo-esque in finding space from deep and making insane one touch passes that open holes. Expert in changing the play to other side easily too, and generally making long slicing passes that starts plays directly, quite verstatile passing style and range.

Xavi's passing is way more safe, even if Xabi too also does tactical passing of just keeping the ball in possession. But unlike Xavi, he isnt entirely restricting to just doing that mostly. What makes it weirder is Xabi is a holding midfielder stays put, so he should be the type to only make safe side passes, while Xavi goes up and can play AM or box to box a bit, be more up in a an area you can make decisive passes, but still not make much of those at all (in Barca it has strictly been Deco making them, thats why they suffered so much last 2 years, Deco declined big time).

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Look, I don't quite understand how I can rate Fabregas and Xabi Alonso very highly but be biased against Spain because I think Xavi's nothing special. Cut it out with the Azzurri argument. They're world champions, you should be able to let it go by now. You still haven't made on argument about football itself. Xavi sucks donkey balls, the only reason everyone thinks he's great is the fact he plays for Barcelona. And before you say that's why I don't like him: Messi is world class.
I personally think Xavi is great... because he is great. I've never heard anybody have an opinion as radical as you do on the player, so this is pretty weird. There isn't anything else for me to say; no matter what I tell you you'll still insult the player for whatever reason may be.

Xavi was one of the players I based my game off of when I played midfield, so I watched him very closely especially in the days after he took over for Guardiola. I rate him as a top notch player who is at least fringe world class. No idea why anyone would come out to say he "sucks monkey balls" as he personally is a humble player. But suit yourself, Andries. It doesn't matter what team he plays for.

Xavi is IMO better than all our central midfielders.

That's the key word. Xabi provides service. Xavi ensures possession.
Dude... Xavi has led Barcelona in assists in at least two seasons...

:shifty:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
But Andy, no way is Xavi a better passer, he is a slick passer, but I find his vision very overrated. I hardly ever see him make decisive passes, he has the ability to find few good ones, but mainly his passes are lateral, keeping the ball in play mostly, takes no risks. Xabi is more Pirlo-esque in finding space from deep and making insane one touch passes that open holes. Expert in changing the play to other side easily too, and generally making long slicing passes that starts plays directly, quite verstatile passing style and range.

Xavi's passing is way more safe, even if Xabi too also does tactical passing of just keeping the ball in possession. But unlike Xavi, he isnt entirely restricting to just doing that mostly. What makes it weirder is Xabi is a holding midfielder stays put, so he should be the type to only make safe side passes, while Xavi goes up and can play AM or box to box a bit, be more up in a an area you can make decisive passes, but still not make much of those at all (in Barca it has strictly been Deco making them, thats why they suffered so much last 2 years, Deco declined big time).
Perhaps Xabi is the better passer, but I think Xavi is just as good. He has made many killer passes and lots of good decisions on the ball in his career, so has Xabi, so they're both damn good. If I had to choose, well... I'd choose a 2004 Xavi over a 2008 Xabi IMO.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Indeed, although when Xavi was first starting out he sat back a lot like Xabi (in the Rivaldo Barca days) since Xavi was the last player back in midfield. He was Guardiola's successor, and that player was always deep-lying. That team was pretty sick IMO.

Puyol - Abelardo - F. De Boer - Sergi

Xavi - Guardiolia - Cocu

Luis Enrique - Rivaldo

Kluivert

I didn't list a keeper because I can't remember who it was. :D
That was a real choker of a team, the most choking Barca team in history probably.

Sep 1, 2002
He is still around doing OK in Spain.

By the way, I think Xavi is a very good solid player (I'd have him at Juve): I personally would not have chosen him as player of the tournament: Ramos, Silva (except for the final), Senna, were also outstanding. Shame about Villa though.

OP
Maher

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #95
    The list is retarded and Xavi is probably the most annoying Spaniard out there. Not to mention that he's the most overrated son of a bitch since Chiumiento.

He passed the ball wide, wide, wide, wide. Xavi to Iniesta. Iniesta to Xavi. Xavi to Iniesta. Iniesta to Xavi. And for that kind of bullshit Fabregas was benched till the final.

Retarded. Just retarded.
    you are Retarded to think that xavi is not a good player but afterall who cares what you think :eyebrows:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Who do you think was the most disappointing team through the tournament? Italy comes to mind since they're "World Champions", but people who knew football would know they wouldn't do anything. Holland choked like usual after a great group stage and France was... well, France. Germany was expected to win the tournament from the beginning but I always thought they were overrated.

I guess it would either have to go Italy or Holland. Or better yet - England. :howler:

Sep 1, 2002
    I thought Italy would show more passion, but I guess they just haven't got a good squad at the moment. I think they should have blooded some of their younger players, who may have given more to the cause and played with a little flair.

Other than them, Switzerland.

OP
    Maher

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #99
    An example of Xavi’s excellent form in the tournament is his statistics for the final. He made 62 passes, with a 94% completion rate one of them the pass to torres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)