World Cup Lounge (1 Viewer)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
robben was having a really good game today with holland, chelsea should give him more free role and he would do even better with them, i really liked how he played today.

Mexico didnt impress me in the first half, but the coach made some good substitutions and in the end a good result, but borgetti seemed to get injured.

what was surprsining was that barca defender marquez made some good moves going forward, i actually thought he could play more in the midfield, not as a defender, he actually has a good pass and he goes well forward, though his a CD. he has qualitys and could play in midfield imo.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Jeeks said:
On another note, both nations speak Portuguese :cheesy:
Yep. In fact, a number of Angola's players are in Portuguese Superliga clubs: Kali, Abreu, Airosa, Edson, Figueiredo, Mendonça, Mantorras, and Mateus.

The interesting back story of this, of course, is that Angola has only come out from Portuguese colonial rule since the 70s. (Side note: a couple of my wife's uncles fought in the civil war there.) So Angola had extra motivation to show up Portugal. But still, these are two nations that very much have mutual admiration and respect -- not to mention many family ties.

In the end, thank you. Pauleta. But you had to work too hard -- too much time playing on the wings and as a midfield playmaker. And while I agree with Big Phil's decision to bench Ronaldo, for a minute there I thought I was watching Capello coaching Juve. Costinha and Petit as two DMs on the same pitch? :wth: This was a team that was content to burrow in, not get the put-away goal. :yawn:

Angola impressed me, though. Despite Portugal's conservative tactics and lack of creative midfield (though the wings were usually strong), Angola showed excellent speed and aggressive, accurate tackling that disrupted anything Portugal tried to put together ... and particularly if they tried to get too fancy on the ground.

In the end, Portugal's ball ownership and good clearances from the back sealed it after Pauleta got the early jump. But Portugal has real work to do. I am guessing Deco may have not been play-ready.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Stephan said:
what was surprsining was that barca defender marquez made some good moves going forward, i actually thought he could play more in the midfield, not as a defender, he actually has a good pass and he goes well forward, though his a CD. he has qualitys and could play in midfield imo.
Marquez plays more as a pure defender for Barça, but on the Mexico NT he actually plays more as a midfielder at times.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
swag said:
Marquez plays more as a pure defender for Barça, but on the Mexico NT he actually plays more as a midfielder at times.
yeah i know that, but the thing is i think mexico should put another defender to back and move him to midfield because as it seems to me, something good is missing there and i really was impressed of marquez moves, he was running around a lot, but more from wings and corners and freekicks situations.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
swag said:
Barca use Marquez as a holding midfielder at times. He's a great player. Very good defensively with impressive technical ability.

About Deco, he was out injured.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Interesting thing is that Portugal and Angola have played a game before 5 years...Angola scored first and than till the 24th min. Angola got 3 red cards and played with 8 man...than they got another red. Their coach alredy did all the changes,and after that another Angola's player needed to left the pitch because of the injury...Angola had 6 man playing and the game was finally stopped...Portugal maneged to score 6 goals by than.

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
::Laughs:: When tried translating it with an online dictionary I got these meanings, so just making sure:

strength, current, power, force.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
CauldronWench said:
::Laughs:: When tried translating it with an online dictionary I got these meanings, so just making sure:

strength, current, power, force.

Hey,congrats for the game ,yestarday!!!:)

Just continue that way!

You can use "Forza T&T" for that purpose.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Stuart said:
Barca use Marquez as a holding midfielder at times. He's a great player. Very good defensively with impressive technical ability.

About Deco, he was out injured.
Thanks, Stuart. I just looked it up and too caught that he was injured for the match. They seriously missed him.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
i think portugal scoring one goal is no surprise dont forget they have hard games coming up and they need every ounce of energy to get thru those. as a conclusion i think angola did alright i personally expected a heavy loss as they r one of the weakest african sides in this world cup.

as for mexico and iran i think iran lost the game for several reasons:
1- very slow mid field and specially when building the offensive move.
2- ali daie is just tooooooooo old and has nothing more to give i think he should've been substitued with a faster player after the first half.
3- the goalie is just plain poooooooooooooor and his mistakes cost them two goals
4- as for the third goal it was what mexico are best at and thats there ability to cross in balls accuratly.
5- mexico obviously play with set pieces being there main weapon ( goes for there first goal and third goal)
6- poooooor coverage on omar bravo he was dangreous from the very first begining

i was putting alot of hope on iran but to be honest i find it abit hard for them against portugal and angola with the last one showing them a hard time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)