World Cup 2022 LIVE thread (41 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think the quality is on par with 2018. Brazil, Argentina and Portugal are better this time. England made it to the semis in 2018 but what they're playing right now is better than what they showed in 2018. Italy is not playing again, Germany is once more eliminated in the groups. France is equally solid. Spain is eliminated in the 1/8 finals. Only two teams were visibly better in 2018 - Belgium and Croatia. Your team, my team, so we enjoyed that WC more, even if quality wise it's very even and many would say this WC's better.
Oh I have no qualms with admitting 2018 was poor too. It's just that that World Cup for me was saved Belgium's good performance.

Honestly I think the last good World Cup I saw was 2006. I liked 1998 a lot too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Europe has 13 places and obviously has been better than everyone during last couple of decades (with a little help in some moments but that's another discussion), however in the past the gap was in every aspect of the game bar phisical, in this WC what I saw is that tactically is minimum... If they improve in the technical level, everything will be closer in the future

It's not going to be Europe vs Brazil/Argentina anymore IMO
You could organize a World Cup where you replace all the UEFA and COMNEBOL teams with Columbia, Chile, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Greece and others that didnt make it and the Europeans and South Americans would still be the favorites to win it. The gap is real and the spots given to each confederation in the 48 team format is a joke.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
It is going to be Europe and South America for a very very long time. I havent seen improvement from other nations this tournament. The gap is to great. I like that Morocco kicked out Spain but 5/8 quarter finalists are from Europe and half of Morocco's team plays in Europe, which has by far the most competitive leagues. The semis are likely to be France vs Portugal and Argentina vs Brazil.
I meant once the technical gap get closer. If they improve so much in a tactical level I can't see how they can't improve in a technical level in the next decade. We see how a league like EPL is full of guys that are just evaluated in three elements: technical, tactical and phisical. Only Brazil mantains creativity and dribbling.

- - - Updated - - -

But the quarters are literally Europe v Brazil and Argentina?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Agree, I'm refering to the future. I think Asia and Africa will be better if they mantain what they have done so far and just add the technical development in their youngers generation.

- - - Updated - - -

You could organize a World Cup where you replace all the UEFA and COMNEBOL teams with Columbia, Chile, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Greece and others that didnt make it and the Europeans and South Americans would still be the favorites to win it. The gap is real and the spots given to each confederation in the 48 team format is a joke.
It would be the case in most of the scenarios however in a short tournament like the WC, a bad game can happen to anyone and it means go home so no, if you have teams like Colombia and Chile (considering Uruguay was there, btw eliminated in a clearly manipulted way); I'm pretty sure they could have given the "surprise" to current european teams like Portugal, Croatia and Netherland (England and France looks too solid right now)

However, even when I consider "emerging" countries are improving a lot, they are not there yet so I also think that a 48 team format it would be a huge drop in quality games in general in the first 2 WC under this format

Last edited:

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
I think they should get rid of group stages and make the entire thing a knockout tournament
One bad match Brazil and they are out. Doesn't seem fair IMO.

Off topic but what about our Eagles this year? I believe Hurts has one more year on contract but Howie has to give him big bucks after this season. And I count 6 good starters on defense who are free agents. Cox, Graham, and Kelce's money will come off but that probably only covers Hurt's new deal.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
I think they should get rid of group stages and make the entire thing a knockout tournament
Nah, these are not clubs. Those guys only play with each other a few times a year and these are friendlies unless it’s a WC/continental tournament year. You gotta give teams a chance to gain some momentum and that’s what the group stage is for.

I think it’s fair the way it is, 2 wins you’re through to the next stage, one loss and you risk going home early. It makes for some unpredictable outcomes by the 3rd match as we have seen.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I meant once the technical gap get closer. If they improve so much in a tactical level I can't see how they can't improve in a technical level in the next decade. We see how a league like EPL is full of guys that are just evaluated in three elements: technical, tactical and phisical. Only Brazil mantains creativity and dribbling.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, I'm refering to the future. I think Asia and Africa will be better if they mantain what they have done so far and just add the technical development in their youngers generation.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be the case in most of the scenarios however in a short tournament like the WC, a bad game can happen to anyone and it means go home so no, if you have teams like Colombia and Chile (considering Uruguay was there, btw eliminated in a clearly manipulted way); I'm pretty sure they could have given the "surprise" to current european teams like Portugal, Croatia and Netherland (England and France looks too solid right now)

However, even when I consider "emerging" countries are improving a lot, they are not there yet so I also think that a 48 team format it would be a huge drop in quality games in general in the first 2 WC under this format
I dont see how you could make statements like those. Except for Japan other Asian, North American and African countries havent improved at tactical or technical level to the extent they would challenge Euro sides. Ghana got destroyed by England, US by Netherlands, etc. Occasionally one of the countries from the other continents will make a deeper run, QFs, like Morocco but there is no consistency. The best football academies and coaches are in Europe. Every promissing player will move here. Morocco didnt reach the QFs because their academies produced good players, they learned craft in Europe at some of the best clubs, that poached them at youth level. The story of other continents needing just this and that goes around for the last 30 years. Yet, there are 5/8 quarter finalists from Europe, 4 last winners of the WC from... Europe.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
I dont see how you could make statements like those. Except for Japan other Asian, North American and African countries havent improved at tactical or technical level to the extent they would challenge Euro sides. Ghana got destroyed by England, US by Netherlands, etc. Occasionally one of the countries from the other continents will make a deeper run, QFs, like Morocco but there is no consistency. The best football academies and coaches are in Europe. Every promissing player will move here. Morocco didnt reach the QFs because their academies produced good players, they learned craft in Europe at some of the best clubs, that poached them at youth level. The story of other continents needing just this and that goes around for the last 30 years. Yet, there are 5/8 quarter finalists from Europe, 4 last winners of the WC from... Europe.
I have said before that only 3 nations that miles above the rest when it comes to WC history.
It took France and Spain many years before they won their first WC. England haven't won again in almost 4 decades. Netherlands and Portugal haven't won it even once. So even for the other Europeans big nations can take so long to become a champion.
And you expect other continents to 'suddenly' challenge for WC? It will take a lot of time for that but for the past 10 years or so there's clear improvement from Asia and Africa. Otherwise they all would have gone after group stage

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I have said before that only 3 nations that miles above the rest when it comes to WC history.
It took France and Spain many years before they won their first WC. England haven't won again in almost 4 decades. Netherlands and Portugal haven't won it even once. So even for the other Europeans big nations can take so long to become a champion.
And you expect other continents to 'suddenly' challenge for WC? It will take a lot of time for that but for the past 10 years or so there's clear improvement from Asia and Africa. Otherwise they all would have gone after group stage
I think you confused me with the other guy .

- - - Updated - - -

for the past 10 years or so there's clear improvement from Asia and Africa.
Such as? Show me some of the stats, how many non European or South American sides reached QFs since '90.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
One bad match Brazil and they are out. Doesn't seem fair IMO.

Off topic but what about our Eagles this year? I believe Hurts has one more year on contract but Howie has to give him big bucks after this season. And I count 6 good starters on defense who are free agents. Cox, Graham, and Kelce's money will come off but that probably only covers Hurt's new deal.
hurts will absolutely get the big bucks. Howie will find another way to save money, he’s shown great drafting and team building.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
I think you confused me with the other guy .

- - - Updated - - -

Such as? Show me some of the stats, how many non European or South American sides reached QFs since '90.
Judging by your post you seem like doing that.

Why use QF as the standard? RO16 is already massive achievements for this countries. Fuck stats go search it yourself but where was Japan or Korea in 90's and compare it to now?
And where was Spain or France in 60's or 70's and compare it to now? It takes a lot time to improve.
Only Brazil, Germany and Italy that has been consistently strong throughout the centuries.

It will take time but for these smaller countries they surely have more and better talents compared to back then.

This isn't club football where they can cheat with money and suddenly become competitive like City.
You can't expect a smaller nation challenging a bigger and more experienced side and beating them consistently in short amount of time.

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Judging by your post you seem like doing that.

Why use QF as the standard? RO16 is already massive achievements for this countries. Fuck stats go search it yourself but where was Japan or Korea in 90's and compare it to now?
And where was Spain or France in 60's or 70's and compare it to now? It takes a lot time to improve.
Only Brazil, Germany and Italy that has been consistently strong throughout the centuries.

It will take time but for these smaller countries they surely have more and better talents compared to back then.
So you have nothing? You said in the last 10 years there have been clear improvements so what are you basing that statement on. Are there more teams in the 2nd round coming from other continents than in 2002? It is Europe vs South America, like it has always been. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't club football where they can cheat with money and suddenly become competitive like City.
You can't expect a smaller nation challenging a bigger and more experienced side and beating them consistently in short amount of time.
Dude, you said clear improvements so those so called improvements should reflect in results, like more nations from other continents reaching knockout rounds than lets say 10-20 years ago. Your feelings are something different but Im not arguing feelings, only stats. And so far Im not seeing much.

- - - Updated - - -

I ll do a bit of research for you. In 1990 Cameroon reached the QFs, now you have Morocco, 32 years later. Is this the improvement you are talking about?

Last edited:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I ll do a bit of research for you. In 1990 Cameroon reached the QFs, now you have Morocco, 32 years later. Is this the improvement you are talking about?
Only 10 European and South American teams in the first knockout round. I think this is the lowest number ever. Even lower than the 11 in 2002 and 2010.

But in the quarters everything's back as it ever was, with 7/8 coming from Europe and SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)