World Cup 2022 LIVE thread (65 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Partly, yes. He's better than his WC play thus far. He needed to be benched because of starting three straight matches, but also because he made some poor mistakes and wasn't offering his usual creativity in attack. Dalot made his case last match, so he better rest up. Cancelo seems to be in a form slump.

Felix gets so much grief at Atletico. I find it odd of him to play a bit more of a creative left midfield role, but he's making smarter decisions.

Bruno has sucked in the NT as a general rule in Ronaldo's shadow. It's odd to see him taking a full 1-2 years to finally live up to his EPL form for the NT now, all when Ronaldo is on his way down and out.

Oh come on. People have two-day memories in the World Cup. At the end of the group stages most people were talking about how good the play and entertainment in this Cup was, and with one elimination round over it's now back to the worst ever.

Worse probably is how the media jumps on bandwagons at the drop of a hat and then dismisses it two days later.

Spain was going to win it all after Costa Rica. Then more unsure with Germany, still thought they were playing coy against Japan, but they gave this Spain squad better odds than Portugal to get through, saying Portugal flatters to deceive and hadn't advanced much lately. Never mind that Portugal has won a Euro and a Nations League since the last time Spain won any silverware. Now Spain will be looked as a joke who, after bad PKs, will be off in the wilderness for years to come.

And after a 6-1 lopsided win, Portugal will have Cup-winner media fanboys until they play the buzz saw of Morocco's organized defense Saturday.

I am really, really tired of people overindexing the outcome of the entire tournament based on the results in the last couple of days.
I didn't like the group stage either.

But thank you for your insight into my psyche.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I didn't like the group stage either.

But thank you for your insight into my psyche.

You would be the exception. Because a lot of people were saying how enjoyable the tournament was during the group stages.

And now one round of mostly predictable and a bit-lopsided outcomes, and people are researching goal tallies compared with previous WCs, etc. to prove their point of how bad it is.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
Felix gets so much grief at Atletico. I find it odd of him to play a bit more of a creative left midfield role, but he's making smarter decisions.

Bruno has sucked in the NT as a general rule in Ronaldo's shadow. It's odd to see him taking a full 1-2 years to finally live up to his EPL form for the NT now, all when Ronaldo is on his way down and out.
dont blame him tbh, the Simeone system is cancer. Hope he finds a new club

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Where is the bum that said Spain lost on purpose to Japan so that they could be in the same bracket as Morocco? :ratcafe:

This is the history of Spain. Apart from 4 years between 2008-12, they've always been like this in world cups. Not surprising at all to see Morocco beating them.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Is this why 5 out of 8 quarter finalists are European and 0 Asian countries and 1 African country made it into the quarters?
Europe has 13 places and obviously has been better than everyone during last couple of decades (with a little help in some moments but that's another discussion), however in the past the gap was in every aspect of the game bar phisical, in this WC what I saw is that tactically is minimum... If they improve in the technical level, everything will be closer in the future

It's not going to be Europe vs Brazil/Argentina anymore IMO

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Europe has 13 places and obviously has been better than everyone during last couple of decades (with a little help in some moments but that's another discussion), however in the past the gap was in every aspect of the game bar phisical, in this WC what I saw is that tactically is minimum... If they improve in the technical level, everything will be closer in the future

It is going to be Europe and South America for a very very long time. I havent seen improvement from other nations this tournament. The gap is to great. I like that Morocco kicked out Spain but 5/8 quarter finalists are from Europe and half of Morocco's team plays in Europe, which has by far the most competitive leagues. The semis are likely to be France vs Portugal and Argentina vs Brazil.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
This is great WC no doubt.
Going to be much better when England get eliminated lol. They actually good but France is just too strong I guess.
Netherland and Croatia are bit boring so I hope they get eliminated too and most likely they will.
Morocco is the one I cheer for, hope they can cause another upset.

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
Chances are slim but an Argentina Portugal final is under way. Would like to see it happening to draw an end to the CR7 and Messi fanboy war. A meltdown from either of them is funny.

Anyway, I root for neither and Forza Morocco!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

But the quarters are literally Europe v Brazil and Argentina?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You would be the exception. Because a lot of people were saying how enjoyable the tournament was during the group stages.

And now one round of mostly predictable and a bit-lopsided outcomes, and people are researching goal tallies compared with previous WCs, etc. to prove their point of how bad it is.
My issue hasn't been with the results, rather the level of play. I thought football was really poor in the group stages. The second round was mostly boring, because we got very uneven match ups.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
My issue hasn't been with the results, rather the level of play. I thought football was really poor in the group stages. The second round was mostly boring, because we got very uneven match ups.
I think the quality is on par with 2018. Brazil, Argentina and Portugal are better this time. England made it to the semis in 2018 but what they're playing right now is better than what they showed in 2018. Italy is not playing again, Germany is once more eliminated in the groups. France is equally solid. Spain is eliminated in the 1/8 finals. Only two teams were visibly better in 2018 - Belgium and Croatia. Your team, my team, so we enjoyed that WC more, even if quality wise it's very even and many would say this WC's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)