World Cup 2022 LIVE thread (22 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
We’ve gone from the Cup of surprises in the group stages to the Cup of predictable, dreary inevitabilities in the knockouts.

Odds are that we should get a couple upsets out of the next four matches. If not, we may sleepwalk through this.
So we did get our two upsets: Morocco and, well, at least by standings, Croatia.

The rest of the matches of this round were pretty lopsided.

Props to Portugese Liga scoring leader Ramos for not only starting his first competitive international match, but doing so in place of Ronaldo, scoring a hattrick, and making Santos look like a genius.

It's only downhill from here. :scared:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Portugal has one deep bench
When Ronaldo starts on the bench and the Serie A MVP comes on as a sub in the 87th minute :lol:

Yeah, I love this squad on paper. I've never seen it this balanced and deep. But I still look to Belgium for inspiration whenever I get too enamored with just how things look on the surface...

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
So we did get our two upsets: Morocco and, well, at least by standings, Croatia.

The rest of the matches of this round were pretty lopsided.

Props to Portugese Liga scoring leader Ramos for not only starting his first competitive international match, but doing so in place of Ronaldo, scoring a hattrick, and making Santos look like a genius.

It's only downhill from here. :scared:
The secret was benching Cancelo.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
When Ronaldo starts on the bench and the Serie A MVP comes on as a sub in the 87th minute :lol:

Yeah, I love this squad on paper. I've never seen it this balanced and deep. But I still look to Belgium for inspiration whenever I get too enamored with just how things look on the surface...
I think you have a really strong squad tbh and can go all the way.

Felix looks great , Bruno is taking responsibility and going forward as a leader. You have a good CB duo with Pepe and Ruben.

Also players like Vitinha, Ramos and Leão are difference makers that can change a game.

Benching Cr7 might be a difficult decision, but if its the best for the team, then so be it

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
When Ronaldo starts on the bench and the Serie A MVP comes on as a sub in the 87th minute

I actually think our 2018 team was probably stronger than this Portugal. But Portugal have always been a very cynical side and I can't see them go down the way we did back then.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I can't remember the last time I've seen a World Cup this horrible tbh. Maybe 2010? That one was really bad too.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Has it?

I was expecting this world cup to be outright horrible but its been a pleasent surprise. Much better than I expected.

2010 remains the worst i recall in my football watching life for sure. The Vuvuzelas, crappy theme song, piss poor games..an atrocity overall.

1998, 2018 and 2006 are probably the ones I enjoyed most. Too young to remember much of 1994 or 1990 although from what i’ve read and seen footage of…1990 was pretty high in drama and the technical side despite the low scoring games. Would have been interesting to watch it live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
European teams are playing worse.
Asian and African countries are way better tactically
Technology reduce the manipulation
Brazil performance has been plethoric so far

We'll see how it ends but so far, I like it a lot
Is this why 5 out of 8 quarter finalists are European and 0 Asian countries and 1 African country made it into the quarters?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The secret was benching Cancelo.
Partly, yes. He's better than his WC play thus far. He needed to be benched because of starting three straight matches, but also because he made some poor mistakes and wasn't offering his usual creativity in attack. Dalot made his case last match, so he better rest up. Cancelo seems to be in a form slump.

I think you have a really strong squad tbh and can go all the way.

Felix looks great , Bruno is taking responsibility and going forward as a leader. You have a good CB duo with Pepe and Ruben.

Also players like Vitinha, Ramos and Leão are difference makers that can change a game.

Benching Cr7 might be a difficult decision, but if its the best for the team, then so be it
Felix gets so much grief at Atletico. I find it odd of him to play a bit more of a creative left midfield role, but he's making smarter decisions.

Bruno has sucked in the NT as a general rule in Ronaldo's shadow. It's odd to see him taking a full 1-2 years to finally live up to his EPL form for the NT now, all when Ronaldo is on his way down and out.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a World Cup this horrible tbh. Maybe 2010? That one was really bad too.

Oh come on. People have two-day memories in the World Cup. At the end of the group stages most people were talking about how good the play and entertainment in this Cup was, and with one elimination round over it's now back to the worst ever.

Worse probably is how the media jumps on bandwagons at the drop of a hat and then dismisses it two days later.

Spain was going to win it all after Costa Rica. Then more unsure with Germany, still thought they were playing coy against Japan, but they gave this Spain squad better odds than Portugal to get through, saying Portugal flatters to deceive and hadn't advanced much lately. Never mind that Portugal has won a Euro and a Nations League since the last time Spain won any silverware. Now Spain will be looked as a joke who, after bad PKs, will be off in the wilderness for years to come.

And after a 6-1 lopsided win, Portugal will have Cup-winner media fanboys until they play the buzz saw of Morocco's organized defense Saturday.

I am really, really tired of people overindexing the outcome of the entire tournament based on the results in the last couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)