World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (482 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You're grasping at straws here.

I like watching teams that are balanced and know when to attack and when to defend. Nothing makes me angrier than indiscipline when watching football. France are balanced and their player know their roles and execute them well. Aforementioned reasons are the reasons I like Juve as well.
France don't attack though.

They won against Australia through sheer luck, a soft penalty and an own goal.

That's not being a balanced team.

Maybe they'll play differently in the final. Because if they do this against England, they might lose. And then for all your 'balance' you end up with nothing.

Atletico Madrid are balanced. You tell me Griezmann is the same shit player he is for Atletico that he is for France. Because I don't see it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
France don't attack though.

They won against Australia through sheer luck, a soft penalty and an own goal.

That's not being a balanced team.

Maybe they'll play differently in the final. Because if they do this against England, they might lose. And then for all your 'balance' you end up with nothing.

Atletico Madrid are balanced. You tell me Griezmann is the same shit player he is for Atletico that he is for France. Because I don't see it.

They played badly against Australia. After that game Deschamps changed his lineup by putting Giroud and Matuidi in place of Dembele and Tolisso, after that change they have looked balanced.

Imo France look really dangerous when going forward so not sure what you mean by saying they don't attack. Griezmann too has played well so not sure what your point there is either.

What you do inside the two boxes matters much more in football than what you do between them.

I'm hoping that Croatia wins the tournament so hopefully France aren't balanced in the final.

Jun 6, 2015
Maybe I just expect too much from a World Cup though.

I think the mistake is trying to compare international football with club football. Elite clubs get to choose their players from much bigger talent pool. They also train together each and every day for 10 months. It would be quite catastrophic from the clubs if they weren't better than the national teams considering the difference in resources and time.

- - - Updated - - -

anyone between France and Croatia would be fine for me, in an ideal world EPL teams battle it out for bronze
:agree:

Count the Juve players, cheer for the team with more Juve players. That has been my fan logic during this WC.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They played badly against Australia. After that game Deschamps changed his lineup by putting Giroud and Matuidi in place of Dembele and Tolisso, after that change they have looked balanced.

Imo France look really dangerous when going forward so not sure what you mean by saying they don't attack. Griezmann too has played well so not sure what your point there is either.

What you do inside the two boxes matters much more in football than what you do between them.

I'm hoping that Croatia wins the tournament so hopefully France aren't balanced in the final.
I still don't think they look all that great. They are very similar in terms of play to the team in 2016. They lost the final through a fluke goal and couldn't respond. Because of Deschamps.

The same thing could easily happen now.

And I just don't get why. They have an amazing team and should try to beat opposition rather than focus on not losing.
anyone between France and Croatia would be fine for me, in an ideal world EPL teams battle it out for bronze
I honestly have no issues with us not being World Champions. You're right. We are an EPL team. And with that come many many flaws. Thank goodness our younger players are looking outside of England.

My biggest hope is that Ronaldo will make Italy appealing again. Right now Serie A is associated with defensive football, but when Serie A was at its height it was anything but.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think the mistake is trying to compare international football with club football. Elite clubs get to choose their players from much bigger talent pool. They also train together each and every day for 10 months. It would be quite catastrophic from the clubs if they weren't better than the national teams considering the difference in resources and time.

- - - Updated - - -

:agree:

Count the Juve players, cheer for the team with more Juve players. That has been my fan logic during this WC.
I think in club football the Deschamps approach isn't sustainable. No self respecting European top club plays that way, because in the long run it doesn't pay off.

But there is no long run in the World Cup.

Jun 6, 2015
I still don't think they look all that great. They are very similar in terms of play to the team in 2016. They lost the final through a fluke goal and couldn't respond. Because of Deschamps.

The same thing could easily happen now.
France are definitely beatable as is everyone else. I do think they still have an extra gear if they happen to fall behind though, thus far in the knockouts they have only needed it against Argentina.

- - - Updated - - -

I think in club football the Deschamps approach isn't sustainable. No self respecting European top club plays that way, because in the long run it doesn't pay off.

But there is no long run in the World Cup.

I'd argue that quite a few club coaches share that approach and have had success with it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
France are definitely beatable as is everyone else. I do think they still have an extra gear if they happen to fall behind though, thus far in the knockouts they have only needed it against Argentina.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue that quite a few club coaches share that approach and have had success with it.
Not in the last years.

Last team to play like that in the CL was Mourinho's Inter in 2010. Even Chelsea in 2012 was a more attacking side. Since then that approach isn't used at all in the CL anymore.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
before the tournament:

before the final:

I wonder what happens after France win the final, surely the Didier hate will only intensify :D

- - - Updated - - -

I can't think of a knockout game that hasn't been interesting, even though I've obviously missed one or two. Guess it's just a matter of taste, I enjoy watching teams trying to win, looks like you enjoy fanciness
would you say i was wrong that he:

didnt bring the best players available
doesent field the best team available even now

?

or are you gonna tell me how Giroud was somehow instrumental for them so far? DD is getting results despite his bad decisions, not because of them

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

?

or are you gonna tell me how Giroud was somehow instrumental for them so far? DD is getting results despite his bad decisions, not because of them

Deschamps is just the Mourinho of a while back. Not even the fucking French like to watch the French these days.

What bothers me the most is that football is slowly becoming a game of cynical morons. We applaud players who 'do the smart' thing by throwing away the ball and wasting time. We start to believe football is about cleverness.

But that is so far removed from everything sport should be about.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
?
of course having a player like Giroud is instrumental for them and their game. he's choking like mad in front of goal and you could argue that fucking N'Zonzi at CF would've gotten at least one shot on target, but it's not like he hasn't contributed to their overall play. compare their performance with Dembele starting (infinitely more talented and probably a better footballer) and Giroud starting, the difference is there for all to see, better players don't always make the team work better

what is a fact at this point, DD is getting results and quite comfortably while a team like Brazil, which supposedly had a better coach, similarly talented squad and didn't draw nearly as much attention over their squad selection as France, went home after 1/4 finals. surely DD must be doing something right, no?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
of course having a player like Giroud is instrumental for them and their game. he's choking like mad in front of goal and you could argue that N'Zonzi at CF would've gotten at least one shot on target, but it's not like he hasn't contributed to their overall play. compare their performance with Dembele starting (infinitely more talented and probably a better footballer) and Giroud starting, the difference is there for all to see, better players don't always make the team work better

what is a fact at this point, DD is getting results and quite comfortably while a team like Brazil, which supposedly had a better coach, similarly talented squad and didn't draw nearly as much attention over their squad selection as DD, went home after 1/4 finals. surely DD must be doing something right, no?

I disagree entirely. Brazil could have beaten us in the quarter finals. If Neymar's shot goes in or if Coutinho finds the target, it would have been very likely that they did. You could say Brazil deserved to win that game.

In the meantime France could easily have drawn with Australia and their tournament would have gone straight to the shitter. Deschamps has created a very negative atmosphere around the team and a poor result the first game could have killed them off.

Deschamps is the luckier of the two coaches, but certainly not the better one. And if he loses the final, he'll have destroyed a perfectly good France team for no reason at all.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I disagree entirely. Brazil could have beaten us in the quarter finals. If Neymar's shot goes in or if Coutinho finds the target, it would have been very likely that they did. You could say Brazil deserved to win that game.

In the meantime France could easily have drawn with Australia and their tournament would have gone straight to the shitter. Deschamps has created a very negative atmosphere around the team and a poor result the first game could have killed them off.

Deschamps is the luckier of the two coaches, but certainly not the better one. And if he loses the final, he'll have destroyed a perfectly good France team for no reason at all.
lol, such sour grapes

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
It's the same feeling as with Juve before a CL final. And there are more than 4 hours left. I feel sick already. I hope the outcome won't be the same as with Juve. Fucking WC took all my attention and joy of signing Ronaldo.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
lol, such sour grapes
It has nothing to do with sour grapes. The way France plays is something the sport will evolve away from.

First of all because it doesn't allow the team that plays that way the assurance that it will win against lesser opposition. France's game against Australia is a prime example of that. It's why top clubs in the CL (which is a bit more advanced than the World Cup) don't play that way. If we played like that against Rostov or something, we'd risk losing. That's why top clubs in the CL simply don't play this way anymore.

Secondly I believe we're bound to see the rules change. Mostly in regards to time wasting, which has been a cancer in football for over a decade now. It makes the sport not only unappealing, it also makes it not sport at all. Sport is about speed, power, about skill. Even tactics. Timewasting however is just being a cunt. You can't simply decide to waste time in most respectable sports. Only football allows it. But it will change, because the smaller teams will abuse the shit out of it even more than they already have been doing.

Finally you didn't answer my argument at all. Brazil easily could have beaten us, which would have brought them to the semi finals. France definitely could have lost against Brazil. With such close margins, it's odd to be calling one coach a genius and the other poor. Especially because France's gameplan is sitting back into their box and allow Griezmann and Mbappé to run. A toddler could come up with that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's the same feeling as with Juve before a CL final. And there are more than 4 hours left. I feel sick already. I hope the outcome won't be the same as with Juve. Fucking WC took all my attention and joy of signing Ronaldo.
Personally I hope you lose and England beat France in the final.

That's the only way we'll ever learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Deschamps has created a bad atmosphere and destroyed France by taking them to a WC final :touched:
No. That's what he did in the group stage. If you reach the World Cup final (through sheer luck and facing not a single big team), the atmosphere in your team is bound to be good. But they could have drawn against Australia and they'd have been in big trouble. Deschamps is just like Mourinho. It's negative coaching and hoping for the best. There is little, if any, substance behind it.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It has nothing to do with sour grapes. The way France plays is something the sport will evolve away from.

First of all because it doesn't allow the team that plays that way the assurance that it will win against lesser opposition. France's game against Australia is a prime example of that. It's why top clubs in the CL (which is a bit more advanced than the World Cup) don't play that way. If we played like that against Rostov or something, we'd risk losing. That's why top clubs in the CL simply don't play this way anymore.

Secondly I believe we're bound to see the rules change. Mostly in regards to time wasting, which has been a cancer in football for over a decade now. It makes the sport not only unappealing, it also makes it not sport at all. Sport is about speed, power, about skill. Even tactics. Timewasting however is just being a cunt. You can't simply decide to waste time in most respectable sports. Only football allows it. But it will change, because the smaller teams will abuse the shit out of it even more than they already have been doing.

Finally you didn't answer my argument at all. Brazil easily could have beaten us, which would have brought them to the semi finals. France definitely could have lost against Brazil. With such close margins, it's odd to be calling one coach a genius and the other poor. Especially because France's gameplan is sitting back into their box and allow Griezmann and Mbappé to run. A toddler could come up with that.
Brazil could have beaten you, but in the end they lost. France beat you and convincingly. The rest of it I wont honor with a response, you're insane.

Jun 6, 2015
I'm cheering for you guys, hopefully Dalić is able to destroy you like Deschamps destroyed France.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 482)