World Cup 2018 LIVE thread (31 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
yet you fail to give DD credit for France beating all the teams they should beat while other big teams with lots of talent have been eliminated. it's football and winning is not easy
DD didn't beat any big team though. The biggest team he beat is Belgium. That's hardly Brazil, Germany or Italy.

- - - Updated - - -

If Croatia takes to lead at minute 2 tonight, we'll start doing it in minute 3.
You say that in jest, but you won't, because it'll make you lose the game. I expect Supermario to annoy the crap out of the English, but not that quickly.

Jun 6, 2015
“Winners find a way, losers find an excuse. It seems to me a motto that fits in well with everyday life as well as sport.

“I advise you not give life to excuses or alibis as mediocre people would, but on the contrary roll your sleeves up and get to work.”
Gigi :heart:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You mean Gigi 'Michael Oliver has a garbage bin for a heart' Buffon?

That's rich. Quotes like that sound great, but they have very little meaning in the world of professional sports. Every player at the World Cup has faced tremendous challenges to be there in the first place. Everyone there has rolled up their sleeves and gotten to work. That's not what this is about at all.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:baus:

Gigi speaks da truth :stuckup:

If you say it would be wrong of Belgium to say that they lost because of France's antics, I'd fully agree. France won by being the smarter team. You can't complain about a strategy, if that strategy is allowed by the rules.

But I don't think any Belgian player or Belgian fan is saying France didn't deserve to go through. The debate goes way beyond that. At least for me.

What France, and many other teams at this World Cup, do, slowly erodes the appeal of the game. And I think it would be nice if we took measures to prevent that from happening. Stopping the clock would render games a lot more attractive imo and it would put a halt to the unsportsmanlike behaviour our sport is now infected with.

Jun 6, 2015
If you say it would be wrong of Belgium to say that they lost because of France's antics, I'd fully agree. France won by being the smarter team. You can't complain about a strategy, if that strategy is allowed by the rules.

But I don't think any Belgian player or Belgian fan is saying France didn't deserve to go through. The debate goes way beyond that. At least for me.

What France, and many other teams at this World Cup, do, slowly erodes the appeal of the game. And I think it would be nice if we took measures to prevent that from happening. Stopping the clock would render games a lot more attractive imo and it would put a halt to the unsportsmanlike behaviour our sport is now infected with.
I think the discussion about the rules is valid, the timing is just a bit suspicious. Time wasting has been happening as long as I've watched football, don't remember you being this passionate against it previously.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think the discussion about the rules is valid, the timing is just a bit suspicious. Time wasting has been happening as long as I've watched football, don't remember you being this passionate against it previously.
Oh it's obvious the debate heats up when you're confronted with it once again. But I have to be honest with you. Even if I am incredibly frustrated by France last night, I can understand their behaviour. They're professional athletes competing at the World Cup. It's normal that they resort to this if they're allowed to. Even if it means that when I die I will have spent several hours looking at a goalkeeper kicking the dirt of his shoes before finally taking that goalkick.

It's far worse however that the same thing happens in amateur football. Football, and sport in general, is supposed to be a vehicle to testing your body. It's supposed to be something that you do in order to stay healthy. When you're wasting time, none of that happens. It's just cynical bullshit that helps no one.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh it's obvious the debate heats up when you're confronted with it once again. But I have to be honest with you. Even if I am incredibly frustrated by France last night, I can understand their behaviour. They're professional athletes competing at the World Cup. It's normal that they resort to this if they're allowed to. Even if it means that when I die I will have spent several hours looking at a goalkeeper kicking the dirt of his shoes before finally taking that goalkick.

It's far worse however that the same thing happens in amateur football. Football, and sport in general, is supposed to be a vehicle to testing your body. It's supposed to be something that you do in order to stay healthy. When you're wasting time, none of that happens. It's just cynical bullshit that helps no one.
There is something professional about gaining possession, running along the touchline to the corner and struggling to keep it in bounds while defenders try to win it back. I have nothing against that. For players who fumble with the ball and roll around, that's where the ref should be adding time.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
There is something professional about gaining possession, running along the touchline to the corner and struggling to keep it in bounds while defenders try to win it back. I have nothing against that. For players who fumble with the ball and roll around, that's where the ref should be adding time.
I mean timewasting when the ball is out of play. As long as it is in play, that is part of the game imo.

What I have a problem with is Mbappe's action last night. And especially because millions across the world look at it and you know what the reaction is? How 'smart' of him. That's really not what sport should be about.

I remember one instance this season with my own team when we were 1-0 down and the ball went out of play. The opposing team's manager had it in his hands and pretended to give it back to me. Then at the last instance he took the ball away again. I tried to grab it from him and he threw it away. Out of frustration I give him a slight push and I get booked. It's just one incident you might say, but it happens week in week out and I think it makes everything ugly.

I used to be strongly in favour of red carding players who waste time, but I think the problem would be with a case such as Matuidi last night. You're 90% sure he's wasting time. But maybe he really is injured again. You don't know. So I think stopping the clock would be preferable.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Belgium's Thibaut Courtois and Eden Hazard hit out at 'anti-football' France
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-eden-hazard-hit-out-at-anti-football-france
Yes.. That's not saying France don't deserve to go through.

You have to read the full Hazard quote for instance:

I prefer to lose with this Belgium than win with this France. But they do defend strongly and are very efficient. We have not found their weak point. That little moment of magic needed to score was not there.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I find complaining about anti-football to be sour grapes though.
That's an easy comment to make. What are you supposed to do? Praise France? They're a horrible team who take all the joy out of the game. Why do we insist on people having to be nice after the game but are we okay with time wasting and being a cunt on the pitch?

Makes no sense.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
That's an easy comment to make. What are you supposed to do? Praise France? They're a horrible team who take all the joy out of the game. Why do we insist on people having to be nice after the game but are we okay with time wasting and being a cunt on the pitch?

Makes no sense.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Nothing to do with being nice, it just sounds like you're complaining that "it's so unfair!" that you lost.

It's ugly, it's annoying, but it's not unfair. That's the game, unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)