Wishlist and General Juve mercato talk (2012-13) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I don't think Destro has done enough to be rated so highly.
The last 21 year old Italian striker to score 12 goals in a season was Roberto Bettega.

Not trying to make any comparisons, just pointing out how long it has been since this has happened

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
I don't think Destro has done enough to be rated so highly.
You should seriously have seen him against AC Milan... I consider Ibra the strongest striker in the league and Destro matched this strength! You need more then just that to succeed as goalscorer but given that he has already scored 12 goals and that at age 21 implicates his immense talent!!

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
The last 21 year old Italian striker to score 12 goals in a season was Roberto Bettega.

Not trying to make any comparisons, just pointing out how long it has been since this has happened
You should seriously have seen him against AC Milan... I consider Ibra the strongest striker in the league and Destro matched this strength! You need more then just that to succeed as goalscorer but given that he has already scored 12 goals and that at age 21 implicates his immense talent!!

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Ok. Quick Question. What are your thoughts on Immobile?
I haven't seen enough of Immobile to judge him to be honest. I did see Destro quite a bit because ESPN showed plenty of Siena games this year, i liked him and thought he was good but he didnt excite me. Dont get me wrong though guys i think Destro would be a great buy for the future i was just looking someone to convince me as to why he is getting so much hype because 21 to me doesn't seem that young but maybe it is in Italian years as they do tend to play better at an older age.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I'm not sure why?

He still has a while until he will hit his prime, 4 or 5 years perhaps. I thought he did well for his first full season as a Serie A starter.
Yeah he did and he will become much better i just haven't been able to get too excited about him yet and don't think he is as good as he is being made out but maybe i'm wrong i'll leave it to you guys to convince :D

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I always thought Destro to be a talented striker but the media makes him an amazing striker that he is certainly isnt!
Maybe in the future but for now he Is just another talented youngster.
Hasnt proved anything yet.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I haven't seen enough of Immobile to judge him to be honest. I did see Destro quite a bit because ESPN showed plenty of Siena games this year, i liked him and thought he was good but he didnt excite me. Dont get me wrong though guys i think Destro would be a great buy for the future i was just looking someone to convince me as to why he is getting so much hype because 21 to me doesn't seem that young but maybe it is in Italian years as they do tend to play better at an older age.
the reason why I had asked was not for the reason of a criticism to you. A majority of the people who wouldn't want Destro tend to bring up Immobile as the reason why, even though his accomplishments this year were in Serie B and he is a year older. Destro probably would have matched those numbers and then some if he had played for Pescara last season.

And 21 is certainly young. Not everyone is a 19 year old prodigy such as Neymar. I think that the reason why he is being hyped up is based on several factors.

#1) His age, and playing for a team such as Siena, and being their leading goal scorer, keeping in mind that he only played 32 games this season, and of those 32 games, only 27 were starts.

#2) He is actually very positionally aware for someone of his age. He has very good timing on his runs towards goal, and provides a lot of movement

#3) His strength. As someone else had mentioned earlier, he is a strong young player.

#4) Nearly as adept with his left foot as his right. His right foot is his primary foot, and most of his power shots come from his right foot, whereas a lot of his flicks or finesse shots will come from his left.

I am certainly not on board with the notion that he would be the primary option in attack. Not yet. But as of right now, he would be a great bench option.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
the reason why I had asked was not for the reason of a criticism to you. A majority of the people who wouldn't want Destro tend to bring up Immobile as the reason why, even though his accomplishments this year were in Serie B and he is a year older. Destro probably would have matched those numbers and then some if he had played for Pescara last season.

And 21 is certainly young. Not everyone is a 19 year old prodigy such as Neymar. I think that the reason why he is being hyped up is based on several factors.

#1) His age, and playing for a team such as Siena, and being their leading goal scorer, keeping in mind that he only played 32 games this season, and of those 32 games, only 27 were starts.

#2) He is actually very positionally aware for someone of his age. He has very good timing on his runs towards goal, and provides a lot of movement

#3) His strength. As someone else had mentioned earlier, he is a strong young player.

#4) Nearly as adept with his left foot as his right. His right foot is his primary foot, and most of his power shots come from his right foot, whereas a lot of his flicks or finesse shots will come from his left.

I am certainly not on board with the notion that he would be the primary option in attack. Not yet. But as of right now, he would be a great bench option.
Good post i think i was wrong in saying 21 wasn't young and i agree with what you where saying about Immobile from what i have seen there is no reason why anyone should prefer him Destro apart from the fact he has Juve connections. In any case are Inter not closer to Destro than we are?

I think the reason i am being sceptical as well is because i don't rate Italians youngsters as much i used to there have been so many in the past who i have gotten myself really excited over only to be let down.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It may just be my view of football and my distrust of fancy players, but I get far more excited when I see a young forward who understands how to move and position himself properly.

Most players take years to learn how to do that, if they ever do.

For that reason I find guys like Destro and Borini much more interesting prospects than someone like El Shaarawy, who had lots of tricks, but shows little sign of having a brain or much end product.

Players who move well are much more likely to be consistently useful because, even on a bad day, they'll still move well. Catch fancy player who bases on step-overs and flicks and they are likely to be utterly useless whenever they aren't absolutely on their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)