Winter Mercato Thread 2018 (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He was our weakest link vs Barca? :confused:

What about Benatia? Higuain? Alex Sandro? Bentancur?
Maybe I just watched a different game though.
He was bad. Weakest link? Subjective. There are times he gets skinned where it was nearly impossible for strikers to do it seasons before. We waited too long on Licht when the signs were there. Nothing wrong, as a club, getting ahead of the decline before you are locked in for another year for something that's out of your control.

He will be 37 by the end of the season.

In any case, both of our minds are made up. :tup:

In other news:

Juventus in for Strootman?
By Football Italia staff

Juventus are reportedly interested in Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman, who has a €45m release clause.

The Bianconeri will look to strengthen their midfield in the summer, with Liverpool’s Emre Can expected to arrive on a free transfer.

In addition, Sky is reporting that Juve could attempt to sign Strootman, who has returned to full fitness after a series of serious knee injuries.

While negotiating with the Giallorossi would be difficult, there is a €45m release clause in the Dutchman’s contract, which is valid for both Italian and foreign clubs.

Juventus could therefore look to emulate their move for Miralem Pjanic, who they signed from the Lupi in 2016 when they paid his €32m release clause.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Well.. in Western Europe the majority of the muslims are guest workers of the 70's and 80's. They all
Immigrated to the developed industrial countries (France, Germany, NL, Belgium). I cant imagine leaving your country for another undeveloped country. Immigrants go where the money is. Therefor Poland will never have to deal with mass immigration from muslims.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure it is, because talking about islamic ( and actually economic) immigration to Poland would never take place. There's no need to, 80% of the countries in Europe have more employment oppertunities and higher quality of life. Poland will never have to deal with mass immigration, just as much as the majority of the second world have different challanges.
I think he means Europeans are very racist which is true.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Can is kind of poor man Strootman, big and physical, but not very dynamic and not that good with the ball. Almost pure old school DM.
Last summer I was one of those who wanted Strootman
While I still believe he is a great player I now feel like we need something different

What I like about Strootman is that he is tall strong (at least appears as one) very good teamwork and has underrated vision
I wouldnt be disappointed to see him here with us but with all of europe going crazy and given the fact all of us want the only thing we couldnt get which is the CL we need to think about what is the best for this position and not what is slightly better than what we already have...
Strootman could be nice if we sell Marchisio but the trio I have in mind are Pjanic Matuidi and another CM - Pjanic because there arent many better in his position, Matuidi because defensively he impressed me and he is probably the best defensive minded player who also go forward we can have (unless Vidal is an option again)
The last CM needs to be dynamic and good vision skills - Strootman can fit the bill but like all the other delusional people here I want to see Verratti here! Verratti would be able to share the vision and creating duty with Pjanic so not everything will be on Pjanic..
Strootman is a very good player but if Pjanic is neutralized in terms of creativity Strootman will not be the Messiah... I mean he is another CM to help the leader and not share his duties to ease him up...
Goretzka - He could be a different idea as he is very dynamic and could be a type of Iniesta for us - still unsure if he is good enough but he is very young and free therefore worth the shot (though he will sign for Bayern..)
Can - Can is a good player - Many here underrate him while I dont think there is one who overrate him.. The thing about Can is - Winning Serie A - Yeah he would be a good starter.. Winning the CL?! Nope.. BUT He can be a very good sub or option if we need his characteristics..

The way I currently see it this summer is going to be
Buffon out ->Replacement Polak No Fee (this summer)
Barzagli out -> We will probably get a CB but Im not sure an RB is out of the question as well - our guy is yet to be known but we will surely get this cover
A.Sandro - This worries me a bit as when on form A.Sandro is the 2nd best LB in the world (2nd to Marcelo) and he is still quite young.. him leaving will mean we will have Asamoah (if he doesnt leave himself..) who IMO is much better than you rate him, but he is definitely not on A.Sandro`s level...
CM - Here we need a great reinforcement and Im not sure we will get it.. I do see us selling Dybala but Im not sure the money will be used wisely...
Verratti is a player we should always take in mind so if its possible and he has Raiola so everything is possible... We should try for him..
SMS - The only real WC player that will be on the market.. The thing is he wont be cheap and I doubt we will use all of Dybala`s money on him...
Can - We will probably get him on a free transfer but like I said he is a league starter and nothing more..
Winger - Here there might be a surprise as I see us selling Dybala therefore we will need a player to replace him.. Bernardeschi is probably the guy for this but I dont think he is ready... We have Pjaca who we should assess and Cuad who will be rotated - The other winger will surely be D.Costa or Mandzukic

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Can is kind of poor man Strootman, big and physical, but not very dynamic and not that good with the ball. Almost pure old school DM.
lol, he's not fast but he's definitely dynamic and quite comfortable on the ball. He's simply a different player from Strootman 'though who is kind of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
I follow the mercato religiously

Beppe lies a lot these days. You can ask Mark for proof. He also said we won't pay Higuaín's release clause. Lied about the Draxler saga etc. It's just business tactics which every SD follows.

There is no way we would've pulled off Higuaín without selling a big player. You would have to be naive to think otherwise.
Yeah, he lied about Higuaín too. What else did he lie about? What was the lie in the Draxler saga?

Numbers disagree with you. It's not a matter of naivete. It's a matter of assumption vs knowing objective data. We absolutely could have bought Higuaín even if Pogba prolonged his stay by another yr. That's clear going by the financial statements, not a conjecture. Even if we go by your "net spending," we broke even that summer, and our CL earnings were greater.

rakib567

Apr 27, 2013
In:
Sergej Milinkovic-Savic 70m
Can free
Spinazzola Return from loan
Caldara Return from loan
Sidibe 30m

Out:
Sturaro 15m
Khedira free
Asamoah free
Barzagli free
Buffon
Lichtsteiner
Howedes returns to shalke

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think he means Europeans are very racist which is true.
Hardly. I can't imagine more tolerance than their currently is in Western Europe.

Europeans still carry a scar from WW2. Heck, No extreme right party is even relevant in Western Europe.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I'm sorry but Can is nothing like an old school DM. He's almost a lolzillian in midfield. He is not solid defensively. He tries backheels every time he touches the ball. Dribbles unnecessarily all the time.

He is the exact opposite of an old school DM. As for a comparison with Strootman - they are the same pace but Strootman is much more disciplined. They have maybe the same long ball distribution but Can is much more "eclectic".

There's no telling whether Can will eventually come good with all his technique but that's what draws us to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)