Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
That's not my point. Hes not here to be a RB.

he is several levels below Benatia
Can't say I liked Benatia that much either, and after several hints that he isn't happy here and wants to leave I am not sure how he would perform if he were to stay against his will. Choosing a team from Qatar over MU, Marseille or Milan speaks volume too.

Rugani should take that 3rd CB, if not a starter ahead of Bonucci. I hope we don't get into a situation where our 2 starter CBs get injured.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And that last sentence is exactly my point. We want to sell Benatia in the summer? Fine. Go for it. Gives us plenty of time to find an adequate or better solution. But why do this now? Why reduce the quality of your squad in January, when the CL is the ultimate goal?

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
And that last sentence is exactly my point. We want to sell Benatia in the summer? Fine. Go for it. Gives us plenty of time to find an adequate or better solution. But why do this now? Why reduce the quality of your squad in January, when the CL is the ultimate goal?
As I said, I don't think an unmotivated Benatia is exactly better than Caceres.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
You are going full retard on this one. Benatia is a solid defender, but he is 4 choice at the moment. A unhappy 4 choice who never plays, and has a history of making trouble, when he wants a move away. Rugani, Barza and Caceres is plenty of cover for two spots were you have two undisputed starters, who will play every important game for the rest of the season.I dont particularly like skinny legs, but he is a far superior CB, to Benatia.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
- Barzagli's level decreased drastically, and this is an ongoing process. Now his presence in the list is rather nominal.
- Benedict is twice as good as Caceres when they are both fit.
- Benatia was basically on the same level as Bonucci as a defender, but without psychological issues of the latter, which often surface when the pressure is high and which is not a good thing to have if you're a contender for a CL title.

But even with that, last year's result was far from what this team want to achieve this season. So it seems like an obvious downgrade or, at least, a stagnation with a strong negative trend.

The only positive thing that can be said about CBs is that Chiellini seems to have risen his level even higher this season, to the GOATs level for defenders. But he still has that tradition to watch games injured from the stands when his presence on the pitch is highly needed, so even his legend-level status doesn't really make you confident in defensive options of this team on the distance of at least several months.
I disagree about Barzagli. His issues last year were similar to Khedira, he can't play as much as he did. For 15 minutes to close the game I would take very few over him. Even if his current injury really affects him that much Rugani is ready and better by how he played this year, hardly put a foot wrong.

I also disagree about Howedes being that much better, if at all. But the point is Howedes played 2-3 games all together bc of injuries and Caceres has to do the same thing.

Benatia was on the same level defensively, but I also feel his contributions get overrated a little bit. He was really good from like end of December until RM 2nd leg. First part of the season he was as bad as anyone and we conceded most goals when he played before December. Then Allegri admittedly tightened up the overall tactics and started playing more defensively because of the amount of goals we were conceding. He's hardly irreplaceable and Bonucci-Benatia is not even close offensively. Mental issues? You mean like the ones Benatia had in every big moment last year? Bonucci played two perfect seasons when we went to two finals and he was our best defender in both of those seasons. This year most of his mistakes have come vs smaller teams where we attack most of the time and he loses concentration. In CL for example he was perfect other than YB 2nd goal.

I agree about last year's result, but this is a completely different team. Our biggest issue by far was midfield last year.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
Last year. We were in the exact same situation with CBs last year, maybe even better now.

Last season: Chiellini, Benatia, Barzagli, Rugani, Howedes
This season: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Rugani, Caceres

What's the difference?
I think you are right here , but if one of both Chiellini or Bonucci injured who you will you pick to replace....
pick Benatia or Rugani ? .... i think it's safe to say the first one ......

Allegri should do little rotations and could easily stayed ...plus i think Italians hates him because he is Arab and even in Bayern ...
better for him to leave at all

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...y-voice-calls-him-a-sy-moroccan-35691392.html

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Bottom line. A team with CL aspirations do not make a move like this in January. Caceres is not, nor ever will be as good as Benatia
barcelona replaced munir with boateng. i doubt that was a clear upgrade.

and no, i'm not defending the benatia - caceres move. i consider benatia a very good cb who's probably impossible to replace in a couple of days. the club should have treated him much better. i'm just saying that even top clubs make backwards steps sometimes.

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
Should have treated him better? Like what have Max and the club done wrong?

That he's a whiny pansy who shys away from competition isn't the clubs fault.
Agreed 100% you want playing time then show it in training and don't fall to the 4th spot.
For me I'd rather have a grateful caceres than an ungrateful benatia whose being way over rated on here.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
Should have treated him better? Like what have Max and the club done wrong?

That he's a whiny pansy who shys away from competition isn't the clubs fault.
Yeah picking Rugani instead of him, just shows lack of respect ... who is Rugani ? he is just a defender with potential .. and you still blame Benatia whining attitude ...anyway .. the talk is useless now ...for the sake of the team , hope this move isn't going to hurt us .... and hope Allegri rest our captain more often and save him for the big matches ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)