Whitney Houston has died (12 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Ugh. She ushered in an era that emphasized vocal gymnastics and Olympic world records rather than true, soulful singing from the gut. This is how we ended up with the likes of Star Search singers and now crap like American Idol hacks. :tdown:

I respect her as a talent. But I hate what she did to popular music. If it wasn't for her, Celine Dion would have stayed an anonymous French Canuck who applauds with her forearms.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Ugh. She ushered in an era that emphasized vocal gymnastics and Olympic world records rather than true, soulful singing from the gut. This is how we ended up with the likes of Star Search singers and now crap like American Idol hacks. :tdown:

I respect her as a talent. But I hate what she did to popular music.
Was it just her, though?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Was it just her, though?
She was the real genesis, IMO. She broke that ground and ushered in the likes of Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc. The "passing kidney stones" singing style that became very popular for a while.

Aug 17, 2007

I respect her as a talent. But I hate what she did to popular music. If it wasn't for her, Celine Dion would have stayed an anonymous French Canuck who applauds with her forearms.

Most music today is pure crap. But if you ask me, it's not just music. It's everything. You have too much from everything, it's all fast, heartless, and of course, crap.

It's true about music, movies, football and more.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's more than just saying pop music is crap. It's a conscious public decision to prefer vocal styles where the singer is simply trying to do a gymnastics routine to impress the audience rather than bothering with artistry, subtlety, emotion, or even understatement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)