What's wrong with us?! (6 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Had we spent 40-50 million on two players this summer we'd be almost guaranteed with two world class players. If we use this strategy every year we slowly become world class and make a step up in quality every year.
This is one theory, but considering how awful our team was last season if we only bought two world class players how well is our team going to do this season?

Buffon

Grygera - Legrottaglie - Chiellini - Kolarov

Sissoko - Melo - Marchisio

Diego

Dzeko - Trezeguet/Del Piero​

+no depth. This team would inevitably have difficult periods and isn't guaranteed 4th spot, especially if you even put one injury into it.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Pepe doesn't make us better or worse, he's irrelevant.
So don't put him down as a bad purchase, he is fine.

Maybe it's time to accept we don't have as much money as we'd like to have. We are shopping in the medium range hoping for rough diamonds, guys like Secco who blew tens of millions are mostly culpable.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
So don't put him down as a bad purchase, he is fine.

Maybe it's time to accept we don't have as much money as we'd like to have. We are shopping in the medium range hoping for rough diamonds, guys like Secco who blew tens of millions are mostly culpable.
He's not fine. Bottom line, he is not good enough for a team like Juventus. I don't care if he's free or not, we should not even go there in the first place.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
I agree, spot on, we simply do not have the quality in the side. We were overachieving so far and overestimated our own strength and quality. fact is, we have nowhere near the quality we had in previous years, and other clubs that used to be much worse than us have equal if not more quality (like Napoli).

We always used to say that Juve doesnt buy stars, it makes them. Well, that might have worked for a while, when you have good overall quality and a good basis, but when we're in the current position we need to invest in stars. Otherwise we're fucked.

I dont think thats as big of a problem as most think. i think the players do know how big Juve is (was), they just cant do any better, they simply dont have the quality to do anything better.
Let me list the teams in the Serie A that have more quality than us and why.

Milan - Ibra on his own (not to mention Cassano, Robinho, Pato)
Lazio - Hernanes, Floccari, Zarate, Mauri
Napoli - Hamsik, Cavani, Lavezzi
Inter - Eto, Sneijder, Stankovic, Milito
Roma - De Rossi, Vucinic, Menez, Borrielo, Perotta,
Palermo - Pastore, Miccoli, Balterazzi

That puts us in about 7th place :)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Rubbish, for his role he is fine. If you don't want Pepe in then obviously you don't like the whole system that Delneri plays, because it has guys in it who play the team role. Guess who has been our best outfield player when the chips are down? None of these superior footballers.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Let me list the teams in the Serie A that have more quality than us and why.

Milan - Ibra on his own (not to mention Cassano, Robinho, Pato)
Lazio - Hernanes, Floccari, Zarate, Mauri
Napoli - Hamsik, Cavani, Lavezzi
Inter - Eto, Sneijder, Stankovic, Milito
Roma - De Rossi, Vucinic, Menez, Borrielo, Perotta,
Palermo - Pastore, Miccoli, Balterazzi

That puts us in about 7th place :)
Juventus - Buffon, Chiellini, Melo, Krasic

This is a fun game.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
We only just signed Toni, and Pepe is not a bad signing.
We still have 7.5M to pay, before Pepe is ours. Pepe's a squad player, and we're dying for more quality in the starting 11. I know he's a hard worker, but I think if the decision was mine, I would put that money towards properly addressing LM, RB, or LB.

So much up in the air.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
One of the main problems with our team is that we're not having a coach who has the guts to play 3 forwards when we're 2-0 down.

I mean seriously, why would you take a striker for striker when 80-90% you're going to end up loosing the game, why not risk it like Mourinho used to do with Inter? Like Lippi used to do when he was at Juve's helm?

Ranieri was coward but nothing compared to Ciro and Del Neri, they never had the guts to play 3strikers when we're goal down or two or even three.

Subs plays a big role, Mourinho with Inter managed to win lots of points from his smart substitutions at Inter, wonder why can't some learn.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
This is one theory, but considering how awful our team was last season if we only bought two world class players how well is our team going to do this season?

Buffon

Grygera - Legrottaglie - Chiellini - Kolarov

Sissoko - Melo - Marchisio

Diego

Dzeko - Trezeguet/Del Piero​

+no depth. This team would inevitably have difficult periods and isn't guaranteed 4th spot, especially if you even put one injury into it.
Yeah, you have a point. But I would assume that we would do some lone deals as well and keep some of the mediocre players we had as back ups. Also I believe Diego was a mistake. I admit I was happy when we bought him, but I always thought it was strange that we weren't battling any major clubs(other than Bayern) for his signature.
Maybe two 25 million players is a little excessive. Maybe a middle ground method would be more suitable. One WC player and use the rest of the transfer kit on solid players.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Our biggest problem is the lack of speed and technical ability, which then causes our third problem, which is terrible movement.

Our buildup play is too slow and we cant string 5 passes together. Our attacking players simply have no speed (except Krasić), or if they have the speed they dont have the technical ability to do anything with it (Pepe).

Amauri has no real pace and has terrible movement. He just waits for the ball with his back turned towards goal instead of properly running into space and receiving the ball while he is running. He just receives it static and loses it right away, he cant even hold it up and pass it on properly.

Del Piero also has absolutely no pace. He has lost the ability to dribble past anyone, even if he has the technical ability to do the dribbling he doesnt have the pace to get away from the defender. He might get past but the defender will just catch up with him and take the ball away. He cant make a run and pass the ball as well as he used to either. The only way Alex can be useful is if he stops receiving the ball far from ball. He should just wait in the box, get the ball into feet and make a dribble just to get enough space to shoot. He cant run with the ball anymore.

Thats why we miss Quag so much. He might not be the best player in the world, but at least he moved and ran, created space and ran into space. Without that it will be almost impossible for us to score from open play, as the matches against Parma and Napoli showed.

Miloš is a great player, but he's lost his early season form because he simply cant do everything himself. He is our only real attacking option, which means other teams have no problems closing him down. They will put two or three players on him, and he's fucked then.

The other teams can do this because we dont have any real threat on the other flank (when Marchsio plays, or Pepe, altho it might be a bit better then) or in the middle (because Alex cant do anything, as said above, and because Aqua is played too defensivly and doesnt move up too much).

We simply have absolutely no pace or movement in attack, thats fucking us. The full backs dont even need to be mentioned. They are terrible in defense and provide nothing in attack, they dont even make themselves available for passes and build up play properly in midfield, allowing the wingers to get a bit further up. Krasić and Pepe always have to start with the ball from the halfway line.

The only solution is too make a revolution IMO. Out with the old in with the new. We need to open up the budget for new players by reducing the wage budget of older players. The wages of Del Piero and Buffon would open up almost 20 million € (with taxes) in a single season.

Thats one of the steps in our rebuilding: we need to stop counting on Del Piero. The best solution would be to make him one of our directors and him giving up playing. He is one of our best players of all time and a Juve legend. That makes us overrate him and believe he is still on a very high level, which, frankly, he is not. As long as he's playing we will have high expectations of him and expect him to create some magic. The sad thing is, he cant do it any more. Therefore, I dont think we should extend his contract, at least as a player. We'd save on his wages (even if we offer him a new contract I wouldnt give him more than 1-1.5 mil €, Toni's 3.5 is ridiculous). But, more importantly, we'd actually have to stop relying on him and get a proper replacement, a real star to take the number 10.

Next: Buffon. He's missed a year of the past two years due to injury. I think he's reached his peak and will only go downhill from now. We expect too much from him and it's likely he wont be able to play constantly due to injuries.

IMO, Storari is more than a decent goalkeeper, he might not be Buffon's class, but he is IMO good enough to win Serie A with (if we had other posititons covered of course). If you look at other teams above us, almost of them (except inter) have keepers that are not better than Storari.

On Buffon's wages alone we could save 20 mil e in the next two seasons. A good player can be bought for that money.

We also need to get rid of other players that are a burden on the wages, if we cant sell them then mutually terminate their contracts if possible (so we dont have to pay compensation) or let other teams have them for free, as Genoa did with Toni ( :sergio: ). Keep a few ones as backup if needed.

We need major investments. Get the wages down as much as possible and, if the new stadium will get in as much money as the board thinks, get a fucking loan and use the lowered wage budget and new income to cover it.

Otherwise its not looking good for us.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
the problem is not one of quality but lack of depth,having to play Grosso at LM is proof if any were needed of that. starting 11 we have a very good team but scratch beneath the surface and you find a lack of depth and quality. we have needed to invest in quality fullbacks for a few years now,it is finally coming back to bite us on the arse

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
We were living on Quags best form of his live and Melo dominating midfield. Now they're gone, it's going to be hard for us.

Having no money doesnt make it any easier to find a Quag replacement. I'll say Forlan, but the fact is with zero cash only loan deals are the one to make, aka Floro Flores/Maccarone.

having said that, Delneri isn't a gifted coach in the area of tactics imo. He got outclassed today by Mazzari.
on top of that fullbacks not being present in this team keeps fucking us. the day we sign quality fullbacks is the day I'm celebrating like mad.

There ary many things wrong to add, but it doesnt make it any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)