What is the threshold for hell? (3 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
A Muslim you have to pay alms which non-Muslims don't have to pay obviously. So non-Muslims had to a 'tax'. What's wrong with that? It's contributing to the city/state just as income taxes, sales taxes, etc. do today.

The tax wasn't imposed as a punishment for not being Muslim lol.
It's a tax.

Non-muslims have to pay the tax, muslims don't.

You see where I'm going with this?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
Funny, that's always they way I feel reading existentialists. Story doesn't appeal to me at all, I just feel bored and depressed. Someone suggested to me that was actually the point.

I'm generally a philistine though.

that is the point. realizing you aren't alone out there and wasn't i the first to call you a philistine :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #64
    that is the point. realizing you aren't alone out there and wasn't i the first to call you a philistine :D
    No, say again so I can grasp it in full. What is the point of what?

Were you? Perhaps, I don't recall. I think it's a nice sounding word :D

a person who is lacking in or hostile or smugly indifferent to cultural values, intellectual pursuits, aesthetic refinement, etc., or is contentedly commonplace in ideas and tastes.
    Sounds like me yeah :D

Jan 7, 2004
    No, say again so I can grasp it in full. What is the point of what?

Were you? Perhaps, I don't recall. I think it's a nice sounding word :D

Sounds like me yeah :D
    the point existential thinking and existential art

i fell in love with the term after watching the squid and the whale. the most pretentious prick there defines it as "someone that doesn't like interesting books and films"

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    A Muslim you have to pay alms which non-Muslims don't have to pay obviously. So non-Muslims had to a 'tax'. What's wrong with that? It's contributing to the city/state just as income taxes, sales taxes, etc. do today.

The tax wasn't imposed as a punishment for not being Muslim lol.
    I was reading few days ago about an interesting case regarding these taxes. It happens in the Ottoman Empire where the muslims give soldiers while the non-Muslims pay taxes.
    The year is 1898 and villagers from today's Northern Greece (which is still in the Ottoman Empire in 1898) run away to Bulgaria (which is free at the time). When they realized that they have to go to the Bulgarian army they all come back to their village in northern greece, willing to pay the taxes :D

But there were many things that were irritating the non-muslims. Apart from being treated as a low class, their taxes (this tax is called desetok in slavic, which is 10% of the income) could have been bought from the state by an individual who then had the right to collect the taxes (i don't know the english term for this).
    For example, the village Juventuz has to pay the state 10% of this year's income which is 10 000 eur. The state sells the tax to an individual from the Milan forums for 10 000 eur and this individual can now ask for as much as he wants. At the end, the guy collects 30 000 eur from Juventuz, or 30% of the income. It goes up year by year and there are cases when almost 90% went for taxes. The state got its money and they don't need to go to the village to collect the money. It's up to the guy who paid the money to the state to collect the money from the village, in whatever way he wants.
    And only the taxes of the non-muslims could have been sold to individuals.

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    That wasnt far back, what was the last straw?
    well I've been looking for answers for over 2 years now... seriously looking... and i found none..
    i used to think that there is no way to choose one religion rather than the other and there is no way to know whether god exists or not.. but i had emotional attachment in one way or another to my religion and i was pointing out a misconception.. i studied Islam as well as Islamic philosophy thinking that they can end my worries but they didn't.. it got worse.
    Faith is a feeling... a gift from God they say.. i used to have this feeling but now its gone. From my studies my mind tells me there is no reason to believe or not to believe.. my heart used to tell me believe.. now it doesn't and I don't know why.
    I am still searching for answers but i promised myself to follow my mind as feelings come and go. Until i find something i am an agnostic.

Dec 26, 2004
    I was reading few days ago about an interesting case regarding these taxes. It happens in the Ottoman Empire where the muslims give soldiers while the non-Muslims pay taxes.
    The year is 1898 and villagers from today's Northern Greece (which is still in the Ottoman Empire in 1898) run away to Bulgaria (which is free at the time). When they realized that they have to go to the Bulgarian army they all come back to their village in northern greece, willing to pay the taxes :D

But there were many things that were irritating the non-muslims. Apart from being treated as a low class, their taxes (this tax is called desetok in slavic, which is 10% of the income) could have been bought from the state by an individual who then had the right to collect the taxes (i don't know the english term for this).
    For example, the village Juventuz has to pay the state 10% of this year's income which is 10 000 eur. The state sells the tax to an individual from the Milan forums for 10 000 eur and this individual can now ask for as much as he wants. At the end, the guy collects 30 000 eur from Juventuz, or 30% of the income. It goes up year by year and there are cases when almost 90% went for taxes. The state got its money and they don't need to go to the village to collect the money. It's up to the guy who paid the money to the state to collect the money from the village, in whatever way he wants.
    You know better that's not a rule to generalize.

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009

Yes, this is called the Iqtaa' system if i remember correctly. When the ottoman Sultan's empire grew bigger and bigger it became harder to control the vast lands they conquered and it became costly. Their military were based on mercenary soldiers and so taxes was a vital asset to them to keep control. When the empire got weaker and people stopped paying taxes in some areas the Iqtaa' system was adopted which is that the empire gave pieces of land(sometime entire regions) to be responsible for collecting taxes for them. The empire was afraid that when they gave responsibilty to soldiers over land, the soldier may actually start forming his own kingdom and seperate from the empire n(as if you control taxes you control everything so soldiers became really powerful)
    so a a result they used to rotate the soldiers and the lands meaning that Soldier X is reponsible for area A's taxes but Only for like 1 year (so that he doesnt have time to create a pwer unit in his area) then soldier X becomes responsible for Area B and leaves Area A to Soldier Y etc.
    The soldiers where high ranks ofcoarse.
    anyway, this system ensured that the Soldiers' control over the land is temporary and thus limiting their power. However, it came on the expense of the people. The soldier who is appointed on a land would try to make as much money as he could during his time of control and so he would abuse the minorities (non muslims) in the process.

I dunno why i wrote all this but the Iqtaa system is not an Islamic one its just what some muslim peoples created to solve an economic problem (it has nothing to do with God or religion, its government)

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    edit: A place in hell meant for Jews and Christians? :lol2: Where'd you get this list from snake_midget?
    http://www.islam101.com/selections/glossaryJ.html

and by the way, Jews and christian will go to hell according to Islamic scripture because they don't believe in the Quran, because they don't believe mohammed and because they believe in the Trinity.
    Yes, some Quranic verses like the one at the end of Al-Omran suggest that they'll go to heaven... but these are the pre Islamic christians and Jews..
    I can get you the exact verses that say that those who believe in the trinity will go to hell.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #74
    well I've been looking for answers for over 2 years now... seriously looking... and i found none..
    i used to think that there is no way to choose one religion rather than the other and there is no way to know whether god exists or not.. but i had emotional attachment in one way or another to my religion and i was pointing out a misconception.. i studied Islam as well as Islamic philosophy thinking that they can end my worries but they didn't.. it got worse.
    Faith is a feeling... a gift from God they say.. i used to have this feeling but now its gone. From my studies my mind tells me there is no reason to believe or not to believe.. my heart used to tell me believe.. now it doesn't and I don't know why.
    I am still searching for answers but i promised myself to follow my mind as feelings come and go. Until i find something i am an agnostic.
    That is not so unusual. A lot of people lose faith because they rationally see the flaws in their theology. The interplay between emotion and rationality is interesting here, because it seems like emotionally people are attached to their beliefs, so rationality shouldn't be able to threaten that. But it's interlinked.

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    That is not so unusual. A lot of people lose faith because they rationally see the flaws in their theology. The interplay between emotion and rationality is interesting here, because it seems like emotionally people are attached to their beliefs, so rationality shouldn't be able to threaten that. But it's interlinked.
    can we say the same thing about everyone including athiests?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    It's a tax.

Non-muslims have to pay the tax, muslims don't.

You see where I'm going with this?
    Muslims paid a different kind of tax that non-muslims were not required to pay. It's called Zakat.

I think i explained this before somewhere...
    http://www.juventuz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1891949#post1891949

the days when i used to be religious.. i still think the same though..
    my long post
    So you were a Muslim like one year ago?

That was the beggining of the demise of the Ottoman Empire. It had everything to do with corruption and nothing to do with Islam.

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    So you were a Muslim like one year ago?
    Yes, I haven't gave up on religion yet I am rereading everything i know and i am still searching.. if i find none i'll make a trip to mecca.. if i still cant find rest then i have done my best even more than that.

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
    What do you mean?
    I mean that even atheists' judgment is often misled by beliefs. You, me, seven, Fred and everyone else.. one doesn't realize how his emotions stopped him from seeing clearly thats why always have an open mind as much as possible. Don't fix yourself on atheism or agnosticism or Islam or whatever because the way you think does change.. what you know and what you take into account is always changing.
    keep an open mind for change thats all.
    1 year ago i wouldn't have ever imagined that i'll be an agnostic... you can see how drastically my arguments has changed during only 2 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)