What Grinds Your Gears? (17 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Neither is purple.

It's just a pigment of your imagination.
Oh, it's a pun, but it's funny and actually deeply clever at the same time.

I know of a large American company where it's company policy to call black people "people of colour".
Just one company? It's rampant here. And worse is the idiot term "African-American". I know a lot of Africans who are white. And I even a few who emigrated to Africa who could be called "American-African" (?!?!). And then you have black people who emigrate here from England or something and they're called "African-American" and they're like, "WTF, I'm from England, not America nor Africa." :sergio:

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Just one company? It's rampant here. And worse is the idiot term "African-American". I know a lot of Africans who are white. And I even a few who emigrated to Africa who could be called "American-African" (?!?!). And then you have black people who emigrate here from England or something and they're called "African-American" and they're like, "WTF, I'm from England, not America nor Africa." :sergio:
Well, I'm sure there's plenty of them but there's one that I've seen first hand. Personally, I don't get what's wrong with calling black people black people.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I don't know if this has ever happened to one of you guys, but it grinds my gears big time (happened alot when I was in school):

Okay say there's a kid that's socially-awkward and he's picked on a lot by people but someone (me) tries to talk to them, and be their friend and then that person acts all snobby back and doesn't appreciate that you're trying to help them. Like wtf? Fuck you then...

I had to share that, it was on my chest. :superhapp

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It has certain connotations.
IMO, it's more about what's called "moving the goalposts". "Negro", for example, was once considered an acceptable alternative to the more prevalent, vulgar terms of the time. But over time, people got to thinking that seemed dated, and as the bigots switched terms suddenly the context of the term changed. When a bigot calls you a "negro", it has a different meaning than when a white civil rights activist might, for example. So the term "negro" changed as more bigots started to use it because they were asked to use it.

And then then we saw 'black'. And then we saw 'colored'. And then we saw 'African-American'. And so on.

It strikes me as a Sisyphean branding race to stay one step ahead of the bigots. At some point you gave to let words just be words.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I don't know if this has ever happened to one of you guys, but it grinds my gears big time (happened alot when I was in school):

Okay say there's a kid that's socially-awkward and he's picked on a lot by people but someone (me) tries to talk to them, and be their friend and then that person acts all snobby back and doesn't appreciate that you're trying to help them. Like wtf? Fuck you then...

I had to share that, it was on my chest. :superhapp
They probably reacted like that because they're socially awkward. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)