what do u know about islam? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by The_G_O_A_T ] ++
Yeah, but you see Tom, you consider the Space (panets, stars, galaxies...) to be the Universe. But what if the Universe is everything, and Space is just a part of it. Mayber there are a number of "spaces" that coexist unaware of eachother, you can call it parallel dimensions if you want, and all of them and who knows what more are just a part of the Universe, which consists of everything that is everywhere.
well of course that is possible I suppose but we'll never know if it true or not, certainly not in this lifetime and probably not ever. I'll just stick to what we know at the moment, the universe (or 'our' universe if you think there are more) is finite and still expanding :)

though what this has to do with 'what do you know about Islam' I have no idea :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

no, no, all the evidence points against that. If we had an INFINITE universe then the sky would not be dark at night, as there would be a star in every possible direction providing light ;)
then if there's only one universe, it must be really BIG rite? until light couldnt reach one end to another...ithen why couldnt there be much more of that same size(or similar) universes around each other?

anyway, why does this matter?!

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

no, no, all the evidence points against that. If we had an INFINITE universe then the sky would not be dark at night, as there would be a star in every possible direction providing light ;)
But there already are stars in almost every possible direction Tom, and they do provide light, it's just that they are so far away that we see their light a just a tiny dot on the sky.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by The_G_O_A_T ] ++

But there already are stars in almost every possible direction Tom, and they do provide light, it's just that they are so far away that we see their light a just a tiny dot on the sky.
but you see, where tom lives, there is so much pollution that you cant see the stars no more at night....;)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
ok right, you asked for it :D

Olber's Paradox

A guy called Heinrich Olbers (probably a German :p) thought this up, the idea being that if the universe was infinite, the sky would be bright at night.

Imagine a thin shell in space at a radius, r, from the earth. Radiation (light energy) from these stars will definitely reach the earth, but with a small intensity. Imagine a second shell at distance 2r from the earth. On average the stars in this shell will be the same spacing apart from each other as in the first shell, and will radiate energy at she same rate. However, because it is twice the distance from earth, the average intensity received by the earth will be only 1 quarter of that received from the closest shell (inverse square law :geek: ) but the volume of the shell is 4 times bigger, so the effects cancel, and we will experience the same intensity overall from a shell at any distance from the earth!

therefore regardless of how far away the star is from the earth, overall we will experience the same level of intensity, which means that if the universe was infinite and had stars in every direction, the sky would be bright at night.
It isn't, therefre the universe cannot be infinite, and is still expanding.

:p

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
First explain what you mean by shell and I'll have another look..

Er... what have you been smoking? The light of day is thanks to the sun, not other stars. There ARE stars in every possible direction providing light but they are just a tad far away for us to benefit from them.. ;)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
let me know what the greatest Number is?!!

you want logic?!!
here it is: :D

Proof by Induction:
Suppose X is the greatest number.
for all real positive numbers n: n+1 > n.
let y = x+1.
therefore, y>x.
therefore, x is not the greatest number and there can't be :D :p
Jackass, I'll get you for this! :fero::devil::D;)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
First explain what you mean by shell and I'll have another look..
alrght I'll try, but its quite tough to explain exactly what I mean. Think of it liek russian dolls, you know where there are loads of layers and then the middle one. Take earth as the middle one, and each 'shell' on which stars are positioned is each doll.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
sorry it was a shitty explanation I know, I hope you got the gist of it. What do you mean by depth? How thick the shell is?

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
well we were always told it was simply a 'thin' shell, we weren't given any sort of figure for how thick it is. Obviously its all theoretical in the first place, just to prove a point, that radiation from all the stars 4 parsecs away will be the same level as radiation from all the stars 2 parsecs away, and so on.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I suppose with these types of theory you either take them or leave them. Its good enough for me at least :)

I'll leave you guys to ponder it anyway

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
What's wrong with Erik?!!

i think it's a pretty kewl name...hell of a lot better than Tom :p ;)
or Thomas :D

what does Erik mean?!?

mine means 'Glorious' :cool:
Glorious? I'm gonna go one better than that, my name means 'Ruler of the earth' :D

The meaning is cool but this name is too common in the Germanic world. Never once was I in a class at school where there wasn't some other bloke named erik too :groan:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
ok right, you asked for it :D

Olber's Paradox

A guy called Heinrich Olbers (probably a German :p) thought this up, the idea being that if the universe was infinite, the sky would be bright at night.

Imagine a thin shell in space at a radius, r, from the earth. Radiation (light energy) from these stars will definitely reach the earth, but with a small intensity. Imagine a second shell at distance 2r from the earth. On average the stars in this shell will be the same spacing apart from each other as in the first shell, and will radiate energy at she same rate. However, because it is twice the distance from earth, the average intensity received by the earth will be only 1 quarter of that received from the closest shell (inverse square law :geek: ) but the volume of the shell is 4 times bigger, so the effects cancel, and we will experience the same intensity overall from a shell at any distance from the earth!

therefore regardless of how far away the star is from the earth, overall we will experience the same level of intensity, which means that if the universe was infinite and had stars in every direction, the sky would be bright at night.
It isn't, therefre the universe cannot be infinite, and is still expanding.

:p
:thumb: :thumb:
awesome theory :D

What do those Germans eat to come with this!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)