What Car Do You Drive? (3 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
https://jalopnik.com/1-2-million-mile-tesla-model-s-has-gone-through-13-moto-1851081004

"1.2-Million-Mile Tesla Model S Has Gone Through 13 Motors And Three Battery Pack Replacements"

batteries are holding up nicely, but 14th motor? it means that for the 13 previous motors, the average life was below 150k km's (or 100k miles)? that's straight out rubbish.
I’ve been reading myself into Tesla’s, honestly many things seem great. But I’ve been reading that many have to replace their batteries around 250k, that really is quite fast imo. Anyone with experiences here?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I’ve been reading myself into Tesla’s, honestly many things seem great. But I’ve been reading that many have to replace their batteries around 250k, that really is quite fast imo. Anyone with experiences here?
Tesla's build quality is notoriously bad and their interior isn't very luxurious either.

If you're in the Netherlands electric is really the only option though, so I get it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
I went to buy an Alfa Romeo Stelvio for my wife. The salesman was pretty slimy. I liked the car but its alignment was completely off (even though it was a brand-new car). Taking Alfa's reputation into account, I decided to get something else. Its sad that Alfa still can't fix their cars. Elkann needs to look into this. But he can't even fix Juve and Ferrari F! haven't won anything in ages either.

Jun 16, 2020
Plug in hybrid or electric. Please discuss
I need this discussion. I’m going everywhere and doubting everything right now. Need a new car before the summer, first a wanted something big (BMW X3), than I was thinking about a Jeep or a X1, then my mind went to hybrid but the hybrid version of Jeep is out of my budget. A EV is really a lot cheaper in maintenance and stuff, so lately that has been on my mind, but the cars within my budget have a small radius. Might try a test drive with a MG ZS, but the action radius is only 200/220km so that’s quite inconvenient. Would’ve loved to go to Italy by car this summer but stopping every 200km is a nightmare

Frustrating process!

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I need this discussion. I’m going everywhere and doubting everything right now. Need a new car before the summer, first a wanted something big (BMW X3), than I was thinking about a Jeep or a X1, then my mind went to hybrid but the hybrid version of Jeep is out of my budget. A EV is really a lot cheaper in maintenance and stuff, so lately that has been on my mind, but the cars within my budget have a small radius. Might try a test drive with a MG ZS, but the action radius is only 200/220km so that’s quite inconvenient. Would’ve loved to go to Italy by car this summer but stopping every 200km is a nightmare

Frustrating process!
My own take is that most people use their car primarily for commuting, and you can charge every night. So with a phev you drive on electric 90% of the time while using your gas engine whenever you want to use your car to travel further. This does not take maintenance cost into account though.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Plug in hybrid or electric. Please discuss
if you need range: go hybrid

for urban use: get an electric

that's the simple version. my electric owner colleagues/buddies all say that the range is a real issue. if they are about to take a longer trip, then they either plan it according to the location of the chargers (wtf), or if they have an internal combustion car, they use that one instead. and you have to consider shit you have never imagined with a petrol/diesel. for example a colleague commutes with a hyundai ioniq, something like this:

1710958430407.png

dunno exactly which battery pack he has, but the range is ~250-300 without using the climate control, closer to ~150 with climate control lol. (for comparison my old dinosaur has a range of ~850-900 km if i'm careful, ~750 if i'm pushing it, and whether the climate control is on or off is completely unnoticeable.) we have some golf e's at my workplace too. if we have some stuff to do at an other site which is at 55 km, and we use the climate control, then we have to charge the fucking thing to be safe with the range. my buddy who owns a bmw i3s confirms this, but he doesn't care since he drives it only within budapest, and he can always recharge the car in his garage, so he doesn't mind whether the car has to be recharged every 2-3 days (with climate) or 5-6 days (without heating/cooling).

playing music or using the navigation is fine, but heating/cooling takes a massive toll on the range. i could probably never get used to this.

hybrids are fine to use unless you really are conscious about your carbon footprint. toyota/lexus hybrids are very reliable, the only annoyance is the gearbox which makes the engine rev high every time you want to accelerate. kia/hyundai and honda learning curves are less steep when it comes to gearboxes. as far as i know reliability isn't an issue with kia's and they also have a long warranty. i have a friend who drives a kia sportage hybrid, he loves the uggo car to death. i don't know too much about honda hybrids' long term reliability, i just tried a civic, looked sterile like most modern cars lol, pretty refined otherwise. you can't probably buy suzuki's in the us, but if you can and don't mind their models, take a look at them, the eu models are surprisingly fun to drive. merc's that i've tried had ridiculously small electric packs, i wouldn't even call them a hybrid. audi's have electric issues based on a few friends' experience. one guy returned a hybrid a6 and went for a diesel instead; we used that car for our recent trip to verona, zero complaints, excellent car. dunno about bmw's at all.

Jun 16, 2020
My own take is that most people use their car primarily for commuting, and you can charge every night. So with a phev you drive on electric 90% of the time while using your gas engine whenever you want to use your car to travel further. This does not take maintenance cost into account though.
Yeah, fully agree.

Im not sure why but the phevs really have disappointing cars for what I like and can afford.

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah, fully agree.

Im not sure why but the phevs really have disappointing cars for what I like and can afford.
Do you want an electric car on lease-contract with your employer? Some bigger companies in the Netherlands has something called 'wisselwagen'. If you have to travel a long distance for vaction for example, you can exchange your EV for a normal car.

One of the sites i found in a google search:
https://www.arval.nl/zakelijke-leas...en kunnen de,ze een vakantieauto nodig hebben.

Jun 16, 2020
Do you want an electric car on lease-contract with your employer? Some bigger companies in the Netherlands has something called 'wisselwagen'. If you have to travel a long distance for vaction for example, you can exchange your EV for a normal car.

One of the sites i found in a google search:
https://www.arval.nl/zakelijke-lease/wisselwagen#:~:text=Met de Wisselwagen kunnen de,ze een vakantieauto nodig hebben.
No, no lease contract for me. Not possible with my employer, so I’ll have to just buy a car. Won’t do a private lease either.

My dad got the Tesla Model 3 yesterday via his employer indeed.

Apr 9, 2015
No, no lease contract for me. Not possible with my employer, so I’ll have to just buy a car. Won’t do a private lease either.

My dad got the Tesla Model 3 yesterday via his employer indeed.
Okay, so you buy it with your own money.

Btw @DutchJuventino this is where thing get nasty imo.

Great car, no subsidies: https://www.autoscout24.nl/aanbod/m...=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=unknown

2k subsidies:
https://www.autoscout24.nl/aanbod/m...=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=unknown

Didn’t compare everything into full detail but the prince difference is big
PHEV is one year newer and has more power (PK). Beside that it is indeed a real price difference. To be honest I don't know if I would buy an electric car from my own money. The longlivety is not known and repairs are extremely pricy. It is possible that a MG (for this example) only lasts until 150.000. I know that a new MG battery pack costs over 20.000,- euro.

Beside that: the MG has a radius of 260km, that is too freaking low. I have a Volkswagen ID 3 (first edition) and a petrol car. The ID 3 is lease and it is my daily driver because lease is so fucking cheap. But if I have to drive more than 150 kilometres I drive with my patrol car. A full battery is around 320 km, but it never ever reaches around 300 km. Only if it is 20 degrees, no wind and a 50 kg Japanese guy is behind the steer maybe it would reach 300 km. If it is cold and I drive on they highway 130 km/ph every km I drive I lose 2 km in my battery pack. It is awful for long distance driving.

My 2 cents: If you have to drive 100km+ frequently, buy a petrol/PHEV. If you drive short distances and only drive long distances a few times a year. It is up to you.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
if you need range: go hybrid

for urban use: get an electric

that's the simple version. my electric owner colleagues/buddies all say that the range is a real issue. if they are about to take a longer trip, then they either plan it according to the location of the chargers (wtf), or if they have an internal combustion car, they use that one instead. and you have to consider shit you have never imagined with a petrol/diesel. for example a colleague commutes with a hyundai ioniq, something like this:

1710958430407.png

dunno exactly which battery pack he has, but the range is ~250-300 without using the climate control, closer to ~150 with climate control lol. (for comparison my old dinosaur has a range of ~850-900 km if i'm careful, ~750 if i'm pushing it, and whether the climate control is on or off is completely unnoticeable.) we have some golf e's at my workplace too. if we have some stuff to do at an other site which is at 55 km, and we use the climate control, then we have to charge the fucking thing to be safe with the range. my buddy who owns a bmw i3s confirms this, but he doesn't care since he drives it only within budapest, and he can always recharge the car in his garage, so he doesn't mind whether the car has to be recharged every 2-3 days (with climate) or 5-6 days (without heating/cooling).

playing music or using the navigation is fine, but heating/cooling takes a massive toll on the range. i could probably never get used to this.

hybrids are fine to use unless you really are conscious about your carbon footprint. toyota/lexus hybrids are very reliable, the only annoyance is the gearbox which makes the engine rev high every time you want to accelerate. kia/hyundai and honda learning curves are less steep when it comes to gearboxes. as far as i know reliability isn't an issue with kia's and they also have a long warranty. i have a friend who drives a kia sportage hybrid, he loves the uggo car to death. i don't know too much about honda hybrids' long term reliability, i just tried a civic, looked sterile like most modern cars lol, pretty refined otherwise. you can't probably buy suzuki's in the us, but if you can and don't mind their models, take a look at them, the eu models are surprisingly fun to drive. merc's that i've tried had ridiculously small electric packs, i wouldn't even call them a hybrid. audi's have electric issues based on a few friends' experience. one guy returned a hybrid a6 and went for a diesel instead; we used that car for our recent trip to verona, zero complaints, excellent car. dunno about bmw's at all.
I was comparing plug in hybrid to electric not regular hybrid. The thing is unless you don’t have access to a charging outlet on a daily basis why would you want a very long range? You probably only need a long range when you drive out of town.
There are not many PHeV cars available unfortunately. I hope that changes soon. Electric car sales are dropping in the US in favor of hybrid and PHeV.

Jun 16, 2020
Okay, so you buy it with your own money.

PHEV is one year newer and has more power (PK). Beside that it is indeed a real price difference. To be honest I don't know if I would buy an electric car from my own money. The longlivety is not known and repairs are extremely pricy. It is possible that a MG (for this example) only lasts until 150.000. I know that a new MG battery pack costs over 20.000,- euro.

Beside that: the MG has a radius of 260km, that is too freaking low. I have a Volkswagen ID 3 (first edition) and a petrol car. The ID 3 is lease and it is my daily driver because lease is so fucking cheap. But if I have to drive more than 150 kilometres I drive with my patrol car. A full battery is around 320 km, but it never ever reaches around 300 km. Only if it is 20 degrees, no wind and a 50 kg Japanese guy is behind the steer maybe it would reach 300 km. If it is cold and I drive on they highway 130 km/ph every km I drive I lose 2 km in my battery pack. It is awful for long distance driving.

My 2 cents: If you have to drive 100km+ frequently, buy a petrol/PHEV. If you drive short distances and only drive long distances a few times a year. It is up to you.
All true, I’m a bit fed up with it to be honest. Difficult decision, the 260km is indeed such a turn off and I fully agree with the insecurities. And not only for this car but EV’s in that price range in general.

My current car is really at the end of his life, I’ll drive it until it breaks down and then I’ll be forced to make a decision, let’s see where fate brings me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)