What Car Do You Drive? (3 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I was comparing plug in hybrid to electric not regular hybrid...
i know, but i don't think that "regular" hybrids are very different. also most brands i mentioned offer plug-in hybrids (too) and some phev's were created for tax saving or insurance purposes, so normal hybrids can offer more versatility instead of some plug-ins. phev with low range <<< "regular" hybrid

The thing is unless you don’t have access to a charging outlet on a daily basis why would you want a very long range? You probably only need a long range when you drive out of town...
you didn't specify the purpose

if you don't leave town so you think you don't need the range, and can afford to replace the car when it runs out of warranty then just get an electric. warranty period varies though, for example vw offers 2 years for the e-golf which is not a lot, and engines often fail after that. in a well documented local case the service offered a motor replacement for 4,3 million huf (~12k usd), repair parts aren't available, 3rd party service isn't cheap either (750k huf, ~2k usd), and it's a common issue

also you'd need some range anyway. a car with a low range by default will be a pain in the ass once the battery starts to degrade

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
i know, but i don't think that "regular" hybrids are very different. also most brands i mentioned offer plug-in hybrids (too) and some phev's were created for tax saving or insurance purposes, so normal hybrids can offer more versatility instead of some plug-ins. phev with low range <<< "regular" hybrid

you didn't specify the purpose

if you don't leave town so you think you don't need the range, and can afford to replace the car when it runs out of warranty then just get an electric. warranty period varies though, for example vw offers 2 years for the e-golf which is not a lot, and engines often fail after that. in a well documented local case the service offered a motor replacement for 4,3 million huf (~12k usd), repair parts aren't available, 3rd party service isn't cheap either (750k huf, ~2k usd), and it's a common issue

also you'd need some range anyway. a car with a low range by default will be a pain in the ass once the battery starts to degrade
Most people want versatility from a car. I assume anybody who gets a car wants to be able to use it without any restrictions.
The big difference between Phev and hev is that Phev low range covers the commute for most people so for commuting purpose it’s like an electric.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I went to buy an Alfa Romeo Stelvio for my wife. The salesman was pretty slimy. I liked the car but its alignment was completely off (even though it was a brand-new car). Taking Alfa's reputation into account, I decided to get something else. Its sad that Alfa still can't fix their cars. Elkann needs to look into this. But he can't even fix Juve and Ferrari F! haven't won anything in ages either.
I have a Stelvio.

It's great. It just drives awesome.

It's also, weirdly, a very reliable car. I haven't had a single issue with it. And if you look at reliability ratings they score consistently high.

Same goes for the Giulia.

I think it might have to do with the infotainment and really all electronic systems being rather basic. People I know who drive BMW X5 's or Mercedes GLE's spend a lot of time dealing with electronic issues. Coworker of mine nearly crashed her GLE, because it decided to overrule her when overtaking too.

The alignment thing is weird though. Are you sure nothing happened to the car?

Also, only buy cars from dealers you trust. My guy knows I won't overspend, but he does know I'm coming back to look at my options around every 4 to 5 years. This helps a lot, because I don't have to deal with all the bullshit anymore.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Plug in hybrid or electric. Please discuss
depends on your situation and housing mainly. I’m personally still a long ways from seeing an electric car as my main form of transportation, my house doesn’t have a garage and the parking is not right out front so makes charging at home difficult if not impossible.

Plug in hybrids are a great option. Always have the gas option if going on long trips or no time to charge.

Would strongly recommend going Japanese tho, preferably Toyota

- - - Updated - - -

No idea this thread existed...

I have this as a project currently...
FhPVFAHXgAYt2Oh?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
evo vii?

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Most people want versatility from a car. I assume anybody who gets a car wants to be able to use it without any restrictions.
The big difference between Phev and hev is that Phev low range covers the commute for most people so for commuting purpose it’s like an electric.
yes, but depends on the situation. many phev's range is ridiculous, you can't even properly use it for commute. some mini countryman phev has less than 25 km, many are below 40 km, which is fine in a small town, but you can't even get to the other side of a bigger city with a car like this if you plan to use it in electric mode. my gf drives at least 35-40 km per day. she couldn't use most phev's without starting the petrol/diesel engine. range might actually matter even for commuters.

anyway, you know your habits, make your choice accordingly.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
yes, but depends on the situation. many phev's range is ridiculous, you can't even properly use it for commute. some mini countryman phev has less than 25 km, many are below 40 km, which is fine in a small town, but you can't even get to the other side of a bigger city with a car like this if you plan to use it in electric mode. my gf drives at least 35-40 km per day. she couldn't use most phev's without starting the petrol/diesel engine. range might actually matter even for commuters.

anyway, you know your habits, make your choice accordingly.
I should’ve stated my reason to start the discussion. For the record, I do own a PHeV (Toyota Prius Prime) and am not in the market for a new vehicle. I’m just genuinely interested in understanding where the market is going. EV sales are currently down, which indicates customers are aware of infrastructure limitations. I personally think until a better charging solution is found PHeVs are the way to go. I hope automakers offer more of then possibly with improved range (50 miles or so).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I should’ve stated my reason to start the discussion. For the record, I do own a PHeV (Toyota Prius Prime) and am not in the market for a new vehicle. I’m just genuinely interested in understanding where the market is going. EV sales are currently down, which indicates customers are aware of infrastructure limitations. I personally think until a better charging solution is found PHeVs are the way to go. I hope automakers offer more of then possibly with improved range (50 miles or so).

The car market in Europe will eventually go towards EV's, simply because EU regulation stipulates that new cars in the EU have to be zero emission from 2035 onwards and at this point it looks like EV's are the only viable option.

This doesn't necessarily mean the sale of EV's will explode in the next 2-3 years. I expect car sales in general to go down, because people will hold on to their olders cars for a little while longer. Today EV's are expensive and no matter what people might try to tell you the range is often abysmal. People might buy hybrids for tax benefits, but let's be real here: unless you're commuting in city traffic and very rarely go on long drives, hybrids are the worst of both worlds. They're really only suited for people who use them in electric mode 90% of the time and unfortunately that's the vast minority.

Then there are countries like Belgium where tax regulations allow companies to provide their workers with company cars, which are effectively a part of their salary. This is a big driving force in EV sales, because the companies get tax benefits if they go electric.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
The car market in Europe will eventually go towards EV's, simply because EU regulation stipulates that new cars in the EU have to be zero emission from 2035 onwards and at this point it looks like EV's are the only viable option.

This doesn't necessarily mean the sale of EV's will explode in the next 2-3 years. I expect car sales in general to go down, because people will hold on to their olders cars for a little while longer. Today EV's are expensive and no matter what people might try to tell you the range is often abysmal. People might buy hybrids for tax benefits, but let's be real here: unless you're commuting in city traffic and very rarely go on long drives, hybrids are the worst of both worlds. They're really only suited for people who use them in electric mode 90% of the time and unfortunately that's the vast minority.

Then there are countries like Belgium where tax regulations allow companies to provide their workers with company cars, which are effectively a part of their salary. This is a big driving force in EV sales, because the companies get tax benefits if they go electric.
If there’s a PHeV with a 50-60 mile range it covers the commute for most people, which accounts for a huge chunk of your vehicle usage. I don’t get your argument.

Kevster

Feb 9, 2024
depends on your situation and housing mainly. I’m personally still a long ways from seeing an electric car as my main form of transportation, my house doesn’t have a garage and the parking is not right out front so makes charging at home difficult if not impossible.

Plug in hybrids are a great option. Always have the gas option if going on long trips or no time to charge.

Would strongly recommend going Japanese tho, preferably Toyota

- - - Updated - - -

evo vii?
evo ix, but close enough guess.

Should make just under 1000 wheel horsepower

Kevster

Feb 9, 2024
How do you get that much power out of a 4 banger.
The 4g63T is a very stout motor. Gotta love Cast Iron and the head flows very well.

These motors have a reputation of making 550-700 wheel horsepower on the stock block with no internal work. Just upgraded head studs.

My motor will be fully built so will handle 1000+ easily.

Turbo tech nowadays is so amazing, I can make 900 on a 64mm turbo with not much lag.

That would've been unheard of 5-10 years ago.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If there’s a PHeV with a 50-60 mile range it covers the commute for most people, which accounts for a huge chunk of your vehicle usage. I don’t get your argument.
These PHEV's exist and most people don't charge them enough for it to work.

I don't know if it's laziness or the lack of charging options combined with the fact you can just full up on fuel.

And then there's people like my mom. She has one and does charge it. But then she also uses it to go on holidays abroad and then the mpg is just awful, because they hybrid is a much heavier vehicle.

There's a reason most EU countries are limiting the tax benefits for PHEV's.

They will be obsolete as soon as the range on EV's is somewhat acceptable.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
The 4g63T is a very stout motor. Gotta love Cast Iron and the head flows very well.

These motors have a reputation of making 550-700 wheel horsepower on the stock block with no internal work. Just upgraded head studs.

My motor will be fully built so will handle 1000+ easily.

Turbo tech nowadays is so amazing, I can make 900 on a 64mm turbo with not much lag.

That would've been unheard of 5-10 years ago.

Its amazing how much horsepower can be packed in 4 cylinders these days.
BTW, you might not want to park that car in the garage after you’ve flogged it out of 1000 hp, due to the risk of fire.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
drunk 19 year old chick crashed a taycan at ~100 mph:

yeah give them 4-5-600 hp cars cause why not, electronics will make up for the lack of brain and driving skills

these cars are literal weapons in the hands of most people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)