IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
That's like saying people in Africa who are dying of hunger are doing something wrong. I doubt majority can do anything about that.
It is nothing like that.

Even if you don't have any money to invest in a venture, you have access to the internet. That alone allows you to learn many skills for almost nothing. You like writing, why don't you learn copywriting or something similar might interest you? Those skills are in demand pretty much everywhere.

A friend of mine who studied law and failed to get a job after graduating started getting into social media advertising and now he's doing pretty well but he had to learn and hustle. And it doesn't even take that long to have functional knowledge. You're already a writer, you have an advantage.

I needed around $3000 for my first real business and only had $800 in my bank account. I would've had to save every cent of my salary for months to reach that goal. You know what I did? Managed to convince a company to pay me for translating documents in English to Spanish. Got paid $2300 in two months.

I would've never got my first client in law if I hadn't gone to a few networking meetings.

There are plenty of opportunities out there for you to grab if you're actively seeking them.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
No offense but this is a stupid approach.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much all the books I read nowadays are digital

I just carry them everywhere and on every device I own.
Not everything is improved by technology. Barely anyone I know regularly use e-books services, occasional rare mentions, but pretty much everyone I know reads regular books. Having it in your hand is just unbeatable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I think it depends if the person is serious about reading or reads a book or two per year. If you read a lot, I can't see how you can pass up all the conveniences of ebook vs paper book because of nostalgia

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Ok, this sucks. Publishers are insane. I need like 1000-1500e to publish my book. :sigh: Today I talked with some editor and it turns out prices are sky high everywhere. Too hard for my wallet.
Hold onto your book for now. Write some short stories/prose pieces. Submit them to literary magazines and journals. Enter every writing contest you can find.

If you don't get published in the journals, or win publishing in one of the contests, you'll learn that your writing needs some work/polishing and you can get to that, improving as a writer.

If you do get published, first off, most reputable ones will pay you something, and secondly you shall have something to take to a literary agent or publishing house to show them that you can actually write and have some potential appeal. Your novel will be far more likely to be picked up by a publishing house this way.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Serbia is in the EU, no? Doesn't that mean you can move to another EU country where you can work even a basic job and will earn a lot more than 100 euros a month?
No, we are not. We're in da talks to enter but I highly doubt we can enter earlier than 2022. My guess would be around 2025. Also, EU is far from being great so I'd even skip it. The best part out EU is that you can go to another country (I bet 90% of young people would vote YES to EU just because they could leave the country).

Not everything is improved by technology. Barely anyone I know regularly use e-books services, occasional rare mentions, but pretty much everyone I know reads regular books. Having it in your hand is just unbeatable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
When you think about it, it's actually pretty scary how many things technology fucked up.

It is nothing like that.

Even if you don't have any money to invest in a venture, you have access to the internet. That alone allows you to learn many skills for almost nothing. You like writing, why don't you learn copywriting or something similar might interest you? Those skills are in demand pretty much everywhere.

A friend of mine who studied law and failed to get a job after graduating started getting into social media advertising and now he's doing pretty well but he had to learn and hustle. And it doesn't even take that long to have functional knowledge. You're already a writer, you have an advantage.

I needed around $3000 for my first real business and only had $800 in my bank account. I would've had to save every cent of my salary for months to reach that goal. You know what I did? Managed to convince a company to pay me for translating documents in English to Spanish. Got paid $2300 in two months.

I would've never got my first client in law if I hadn't gone to a few networking meetings.

There are plenty of opportunities out there for you to grab if you're actively seeking them.
In your case I'd assume both English and Spanish are native tongue.

You can learn plenty of things on the Internet, that part is true. However, if you live in a fucked up country the only thing you need is a connection and somebody to back you up. That's when you see people with MA degree sit at home because somebody with highschool was pushed to enter. Making CV bigger and great seems like a great deal in big countries. Not here, though. It means nothing. When we see job ads here chances are 95% how they have a guy already for the job and he's in the company already, but it's their law obligation to place an ad. I know that as I've seen it in several companies where I worked.

Hold onto your book for now. Write some short stories/prose pieces. Submit them to literary magazines and journals. Enter every writing contest you can find.

If you don't get published in the journals, or win publishing in one of the contests, you'll learn that your writing needs some work/polishing and you can get to that, improving as a writer.

If you do get published, first off, most reputable ones will pay you something, and secondly you shall have something to take to a literary agent or publishing house to show them that you can actually write and have some potential appeal. Your novel will be far more likely to be picked up by a publishing house this way.
Talked with some people who were/are in a similar position. They did publish some stuff in magazines and they either don't pay anything or it doesn't help much. I actually had a chat with the main editor of one major publishing houses and he said he's going through the same shit when he wants to publish, despite having published books already. For example, one of our strongest houses has a budget to publish 9 books per year (of unknown authors). That's really horrible. Among them there are people who won huge prizes, so they usually get picked instantly (just like last year).

Also, it's this modern era. They only seek the profit, unlike before when you could publish quality stuff. It's just profit and that's disgusting. It's not in my interest just to publish something for the sake of it. I could've done that had I written some shit like a) how to lose 20kg in a month b) 10 ways of how to get happy c) write shit like Coleho does, etc.

Capitalism? Yay? :shifty:

Anyway, I'll just keep going. I sent my book for proofreading and I'll pay for that. That's at least one expense I can cover haha.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Never been any more disappointed in a post by you ever.
:agree::sad:

Don't Tablets hold more bacteria than your avarage toilet seat? Now that's gross.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it depends if the person is serious about reading or reads a book or two per year. If you read a lot, I can't see how you can pass up all the conveniences of ebook vs paper book because of nostalgia
To me it's actually vice versa. I have a lot of books and would never buy a book from a great author as PDF. I gotta have the real thing. It's fine if you only read what's on Amazons best selling list, or some cheapo thriller/horror books you can run through in no time though.

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Paper books are gross, tablets are amazing
In Germany we have public book shelves in the most cultured (engineer-doctor-free) neighborhoods. You can pick up a book and return it later or put in some old book for other people to read
Frankfurt-Bockenheim_Leipziger_Stra%C3%9Fe%2C_B%C3%BCcherschrank_01.jpg
day three of staying inside because the air is toxic.
lmao, try living in a first world country

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
In Germany we have public book shelves in the most cultured (engineer-doctor-free) neighborhoods. You can pick up a book and return it later or put in some old book for other people to read
Frankfurt-Bockenheim_Leipziger_Stra%C3%9Fe%2C_B%C3%BCcherschrank_01.jpg

lmao, try living in a first world country
You can also download for free most books older than 60 years, it's really silly to compare the two imo

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Found out that a co-worker of my gf is naming their baby Milan :inter:
At least it isn’t Intaher.

weather today was post apocalypse with a strong chance of ash
It’s like Burning Man without the naked chicks.

I'm a little drunk and I wanna say I love you fuckers
I love you too... just like all the narwhals in your town.

Ok, this sucks. Publishers are insane. I need like 1000-1500e to publish my book. :sigh: Today I talked with some editor and it turns out prices are sky high everywhere. Too hard for my wallet.
This reads like a scam to me.

yes they are but the feel and smell of book pages is irreplacable
I say the same thing about hoochie.

I can relate. No writer in Bolivia makes a living writing books.
Because nearly all Bolivians are illiterate? :rndh:

day three of staying inside because the air is toxic. Bored out of my mind
It’s like Mad Max with a lot more gasoline.

I think the toxicity of Facebook, Google, and Uber has finally come home to roost.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
At least it isn’t Intaher.

It’s like Burning Man without the naked chicks.

I love you too... just like all the narwhals in your town.

This reads like a scam to me.

I say the same thing about hoochie.

Because nearly all Bolivians are illiterate? :rndh:

It’s like Mad Max with a lot more gasoline.

I think the toxicity of Facebook, Google, and Uber has finally come home to roost.
Seriously was crazy. We have wildfires every year but i don't remember the sky being off color for days before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1027)