Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Let’s do a tuz kickstarter? How much can you front?
I wish it was something else and not the money. I could hardly ever repay and it seems as a huge burden. It takes me ages to save anything. I have 400e right now and it would leave me penny less. I tried, though, as I didn't spend anything over the last 3 months bar a couple of books.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I wish it was something else and not the money. I could hardly ever repay and it seems as a huge burden. It takes me ages to save anything. I have 400e right now and it would leave me penny less. I tried, though, as I didn't spend anything over the last 3 months bar a couple of books.
What does the $1500 euros get you? How many copies?

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Never. Digital is bullshit. That ain't a book, in my book.
No offense but this is a stupid approach.

- - - Updated - - -

I could never finish a digital book, I simply can't. There's nothing like having the book in your hands.
Pretty much all the books I read nowadays are digital :p

I just carry them everywhere and on every device I own.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
No offense but this is a stupid approach.
It's not. Believe me. I, for one, hate digital books. But let's even say I love them. I know so many people nowadays. Do you know how many use kindle that I know of? Zero. And I'm not even kidding. Seriously.

What does the $1500 euros get you? How many copies?
I have one offer for now and I'm waiting for the other but I don't expect much different numbers. That sum would grant me 500 copies. There's a chance I could lower that cost for 200-300e in which case I'd do the design (aka my friend would draw me the cover) and I'd finish page break myself in Indesign. I actually 95% did page break already, but it's in Word and I know publishers usually use Indesign due to different formating. But, believe it or not, they take quite a lot of profit from sales cause they'd have it stored in shops in the town. So it's not like I'd have all the book sitting at my home. Sadly, they do ask for a lot of %

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
It's not. Believe me. I, for one, hate digital books. But let's even say I love them. I know so many people nowadays. Do you know how many use kindle that I know of? Zero. And I'm not even kidding. Seriously.
I'm sure that people in Serbia don't use Kindle but if you're serious about making a living writing books, you can't rule out a distribution channel just because you don't like it. That's what I meant.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'm sure that people in Serbia don't use Serbia but if you're serious about making a living writing books, you can't rule out a distribution channel just because you don't like it. That's what I meant.
Even most famous writers here don't write for living. It's way too hard unless you go abroad/mainstream.

I tried to get some info of how much would it cost to translate and hit Russians market but it seems prices are absolutely insane.

And right now, I bet if I could sell 100 copies that I'd sell 0 digital. Literally.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Even most famous writers here don't write for living. It's way too hard unless you go abroad/mainstream.

I tried to get some info of how much would it cost to translate and hit Russians market but it seems prices are absolutely insane.

And right now, I bet if I could sell 100 copies that I'd sell 0 digital. Literally.
I can relate. No writer in Bolivia makes a living writing books.

For now you should focus on increasing your income. Then you can have your wet dream of publishing a book. You've been earning too little for too long (I can relate to this as well). Shit, I was paid 300-350 dollars a month for about 4 years in different jobs. Then I got a little more but it was still poverty money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 258)