Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Well, a couple of things.

Everyone who bought a Volkswagen could say Volkswagen are guilty of misrepresentation. In Belgium that would make the contract void. Volkswagen would have to pay back the money and additional damages. Of course few people will go down this route, because that would mean turning in your car. And according to Belgian law you would only get your money back for what the car is worth today.

Another problem is that cars are taxed for their pollution. Because Volkswagen lied about the pollution, the logical consequence would be that that everyone who bought such a car has to pay additional taxes and penalties. Of course they would ask their money back from Volkswagen in this case..

Between all this stuff and the fact that people will certainly consider buying somewhere else in the future, this is going to be a big deal. As far I can understand it may not entirely be justified as there are voices saying that other car companies are just as bad.
I'm not sure how much this whole thing will actually damage the VW brand in the longer term.

They are fortunate that the matter they have been caught out on is one that most people don't really care about (here, certainly) and so I don't think in a couple of years time people will be avoiding buying a VW because of this (provided they handle things properly from here and don't dig a bigger hole for themselves).

And can everyone in Belgium who bought a VW say they are guilty of misrepresentation? Or is there some requirement to show that the misrepresentation actually influenced them to buy a VW?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Was drinking with my subcontractor yesterday...got pretty hammered. Woke up to make some calculations for work. You guys ever get that "flow" feeling? When I get that I can calculate for like whole day nonstop...
Usually in my loins.

that's weird, i would rather watch live gardening
You Europeans and your Slow TV....

I can't yet. In Belgium you need to have been a lawyer for 7 years before you can hire an intern. This Volkswagen thing is pretty interesting from a legal angle by the way, but I won't bore people here with the details :D.
7 years to hire an intern? Damn. Here in the U.S., we'd say that's absurdly anti-business.

Down on your knees and get ready to get facefucked. That's how I'd read it.
Kind of like when I go to the California Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my driver's license.

And his underpants are absorbs.

I'm not sure how much this whole thing will actually damage the VW brand in the longer term.

They are fortunate that the matter they have been caught out on is one that most people don't really care about (here, certainly) and so I don't think in a couple of years time people will be avoiding buying a VW because of this (provided they handle things properly from here and don't dig a bigger hole for themselves).

And can everyone in Belgium who bought a VW say they are guilty of misrepresentation? Or is there some requirement to show that the misrepresentation actually influenced them to buy a VW?
I really am dumbfounded of the audaciousness of their management, who must have felt design pressure to meet a lofty goal and cheated and high-level people OKed that as if they'd never get caught. VW will suffer a lot for this. It probably won't be fatal, but it borders on Enron-like fraud. (Nothing personal, Aaron. ;) )

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Two things:

1. If you base your claim on misrepresentation, you have to show it influenced you to buy the car. However, I don't see a lot of issues here as VW obviously has ads about power and emissions and stuff. It would be ridiculous of them to try and say that's not one of the reasons that you bought the car. I think most people would easily win in court.

2. Not everyone needs to base their claim on that. If your car is less than two years old other laws will also apply. In that case VW will have to demonstrate that they can fix the car to the point that it will perform the same at the same cost or they have to compensate the owner. The owner may still choose to have the contract declared void.

VW will survive, because they are so big that they will be helped. If anything it might speed up the arrival of electric vehicles and self driving cars. And frankly, the sooner we have electric self driving cars the better. The tech is there, why not implement it? We'd have way less traffic deaths / injuries. A

- - - Updated - - -

7 years to hire an intern? Damn. Here in the U.S., we'd say that's absurdly anti-business.
To be fair it takes a while to become a skilled (trial) lawyer.

I really am dumbfounded of the audaciousness of their management, who must have felt design pressure to meet a lofty goal and cheated and high-level people OKed that as if they'd never get caught. VW will suffer a lot for this. It probably won't be fatal, but it borders on Enron-like fraud. (Nothing personal, Aaron. ;) )
The way they react does make you think that they had a plan for when they'd get caught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 834)